6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Insight CTS (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Insight CTS (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)

The Good

Got my CTS from Motorhaven and thanked them for supporting FTE. Ordered the expandagle egt probe from Thourghobreed and thank them for their support as well. I surprised myself and waited very patiently and did not once check the shipment tracking webpages.

Edge has a 15 minute firmware update that worked on my 260504 build date engine. The techs were very helpful and I was up and running the next day. It is my understanding the firmware update is also helping the 03's as well. You have to enter the vin number to get all the PID's. Here is the list of PIDs I am currently reading:
  • accel pedal position
  • barometric pressure
  • battery voltage *
  • corrected vehicle speed
  • egt*
  • ect*
  • engine load
  • eot*
  • rpm
  • engine run time
  • gear & tcl
  • injector pulse width
  • intake air temp
  • mass airflow
  • trans fluid temp ( i got a manual so only getting 0)
  • boost*
The five (5) PID's with *'s I have read about in other threads and I have their norm, severe and alarm values, except battery voltage. Read it should be 13.5 before turning on heavy loads (headlights, etc.). I set an alarm of 12 v. Are there any norm, severe and alarm values for the other PID's? What are some of the non-selfexplanitory PID's used for?

I like the larger screen which can have three (3) analog gauges plus 2 other paramerters. I like the windshield mount, it fits well into the corner next to the grab bar. It seems to work well with other vehicles. The tech told me scanning other vehicles will not affect the firmware update, but I have not scanned another vehicle since the update. I had no trouble codes with my egr valve disconnected.

The Bad

Getting the CTS to link with the computer was hard. The cable has two (2) USB connectors. One on the main cable and another on a pig tail. After numerous attempts and "unknow usb device", I had to unplug the pigtail to finally get to install the drivers a let them chat. Note: the fusion software did not have any updates for the CTS when they first talked, I had to call Edge first and after they took some info I ran fusion again to get the firware update.

You all will be glad to hear the various threads for the probe installation were a big help to me. The following is a summary of Edge's directions:
  • 1/8 and 21/64 (best size) or 5/16 (optional) drill bits were only mentioned
  • grease bits and tap
  • turn tap until the bottom threads of the tap are slightly deeper than flush with the inside of the exhaust manifold wall.
The probe looked a little too long so I measured it and the depth of the manifold with a wooden carpenter's ruler with brass slider before using the tap. I had a little over 1.5 inches depth into the mainfold measured from the outside of the manifold. I ended up only running the tap in a little more than half way in a 5/16 hole and periodically checked with the fitting. Basically the end of the fitting had to be flush with the inside manifold wall so the probe would fit, hence the smaller hole.

I taped the shop vac up to the drill area and it kept the cuttings down to just a few. Only got one in my mouth and I did wear saftey goggles. I taped an old plastic water line for a sink to the shop vac which sealed very nicely into the tapped hole. I think I heard the turbo spool. I followed up with about a dozen qtips to swap out the mainfold and did retrieved a few shavings. I probably let the bit go up into the manifold to far. Also, stay away from pilot tip drill bits, they seem to foul easier than the tappered ones.

The Ugly

Well it seems I have some major problems. So far I have noticed I am running a little below norm with ect's (around 185 - 190) and severe with eot's (215 -220) after the engine has warmed up. No load and running between 2000 and 600 feet msl. Just finished up the egt probe a few hours ago, so no data until Monday. Boost got up to 23 on the highway entrance once.

I do have few very slight white stains on the degas bottle (mini pukes?). If I have learned anything from you all it would appear my oil cooler is plugged. Should have put that filter on sooner. What do you all think, whats my next course of action?

Alarms are set. Doug

Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my cts in 24 hrs from edge ( free overnight ,, and they will give you 210$ off if you send your old insight in ,, no updates needed on mine ,, they are expanding the pids shortly and should have all the cool stuff the original insight had

Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
I got my cts in 24 hrs from edge ( free overnight ,, and they will give you 210$ off if you send your old insight in ,, no updates needed on mine ,, they are expanding the pids shortly and should have all the cool stuff the original insight had
I have decided I am buying either the CS or the CTS and an SCT xcal with custom tunes from Innovative! Let me know if your pleased with yours!!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
I guess that would be another good Zmann. I am very please with mine scottman70.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Next course of action would be getting ready to replace those pesky EGR,OIL coolers...
Or a delete..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Yup I am very happy the CTS is large enough for me to see the old insight was a tad small
for my aging eyes lol it works well in all but some off angle sun exposer but you can always read the display

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
double check the x cal compatability with yours ? most run the sct sf3 or x3 I looked at the x cal but it looked like it may not work ?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
So 1 quick question before I shell out the cash for an SCT and an CTS........ Can I run custom SCT tunes and then use the Edge CTS as gauges? I am thinking the answer is yes but wanted to hear a resounding YES before I order!!!! Thanks guys!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Striderwv
The probe looked a little too long so I measured it and the depth of the manifold with a wooden carpenter's ruler with brass slider before using the tap. I had a little over 1.5 inches depth into the mainfold measured from the outside of the manifold. I ended up only running the tap in a little more than half way in a 5/16 hole and periodically checked with the fitting. Basically the end of the fitting had to be flush with the inside manifold wall so the probe would fit, hence the smaller hole.
I'm confused here. Why does the depth that you run the tap to matter? Drill the hole, run the tap and put threads down the entire hole right? Put in the sensor the whole way. Or is the sensor too long for the manifold?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
the tap is tapered NPT so it does matter how far you go

Yes Scottman you can .. but what exact SCT are you getting ?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
the tap is tapered NPT so it does matter how far you go
Check, I didn't pick up on the tapered part. Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
scottman70: That is my understanding.

Code:
I'm confused here. Why does the depth that you run the tap to matter? Drill the hole, run the tap and put threads down the entire hole right? Put in the sensor the whole way. Or is the sensor too long for the manifold?:confused:
Being a NPT the hole gets larger the further you run it down. The NPT are different than NC or NF threads, they taper somewhat. The fitting has NPT thread also. If you run the tap too far you may not be able to stop the fitting where you want to. Think of it like putting a cone inside a cone. So I drilled the smaller hole and ran the tap only part way so the fitting threads would start to tighten up sooner. Yes, the sensor would have been too long for the manifold if I had run the fitting the whole way flush with the manifold.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
What's the difference between the X3 and the SF3? It will be one of those that I am getting......

Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
your safe with the sf3 it is newer than the x3 ,, I still don't now the exact reason for the name change ,, it is the same physical device