Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the info!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthwesternCowboy
I've got maybe... 5K on 35" KO2s on my white 2WD and they are holding up fantastic so far. The 6.0 I just bought has 35" Toyo Open Country Xtremes and I don't notice a difference really... I like them both. So I'll wear one set out and store the other =P The white 2WD Ex is getting parked in my garage on cheap craigslist 265s LOL
Originally Posted by seijirou
Not just a 6.0 thing. Your typical gas engine automotive green or "universal" yellow is not sufficient for medium duty (box truck, school bus; which is what these engines were designed for) diesel engines.

Diesels will cause coolant without special additives to cavitate. Common green coolant does not have these additives so cavitation will occur and it will eat away at the block and put particulates into the coolant as well which are abrasive to the water pump and can clog oil coolers and egr coolers.

You can run green with SCAs but I'm betting if this place was using green to be cheap they didn't add SCAs necessary for a diesel. No problem for Cowboy because he's on top of it and he knew what he was getting in to.

Realistically at a minimum you want to run a G-05 HOAT (hybrid organic acid tech) coolant like Ford Gold or Zerex G-05 (I think it's Zerex...) which come with the SCAs already added.

The kicker about the green/gold with SCAs is they use silicates for anti-cavitation which works really really well, but it's also a delicate solution and must be maintained or the silicates can drop out of the solution and at that point they also cause abrasion and clogging.

The best option in my opinion is an OAT (organic acid tech) ELC coolant which has anti-cavitation properties without using silicates so you get the protection you need without it being tempermental. You can run it and forget it for 5 years.

Final thought, you can't really trust the color to tell you what the type is but I've never seen a green that wasn't just plain old green. Reds or golds you need to read the label, but green is green is green.
To add to this, green coolant also likes the taste of seals on a diesel truck, namely the waterpump seal. My 2001 Excursion Rudolph was bought new with 50 miles and came with Green coolant. It wasn't until 2007 that the waterpump failed for the first time. It failed again in 2008, 2009 and for the fourth time in 2010. The first 3 times, it was filled with green coolant, the fourth time, I had them flush out the green and replace it with Ford Premium Gold aka VC-7. 2012 came around and I noticed that it had been two years and I hadn't needed to replace the waterpump. After some research, it hit me, and this is why you don't and shouldn't use green coolant on a diesel truck. On a 7.3 if you're in a pinch and can't get your hands on the Red stuff, Gold is much better than the green.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Lots of plans....Just no time to get to it before mid Jan But, was just poking around and for some reason, I feel that something's missing in my engine bay...

Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unleashd
Lots of plans....Just no time to get to it before mid Jan But, was just poking around and for some reason, I feel that something's missing in my engine bay...

Engine cover went MIA?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:04 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Engine cover went MIA?
Aha ....Never had one from when I bought the truck

Old 11-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by StreamOn
What coolant is recommended and is this just a 6.0 issue?
Here's all the coolant info you could want for your 7.3L PSD.

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart

Old 11-10-2017, 06:35 PM
01__Excursion
Cargo Master
Received 296 Likes on 233 Posts
Stone guards over cladding

Today I played with the idea if the factory stone guards would work over the factory cladding, I know depending on the trim level and original options, you got either or, not both. The new tires sling rocks and gravel from the road, and have caused some marks on the new boat.
Well, they actually work together well, I just had to dremel off the anchor tabs, and drill new holes along the bottom of the stone guards to match the original holes that the cladding used, and replaced the plastic speed anchors with black oxide u-clips, and screws.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:54 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion
Today I played with the idea if the factory stone guards would work over the factory cladding, I know depending on the trim level and original options, you got either or, not both. The new tires sling rocks and gravel from the road, and have caused some marks on the new boat.
Well, they actually work together well, I just had to dremel off the anchor tabs, and drill new holes along the bottom of the stone guards to match the original holes that the cladding used, and replaced the plastic speed anchors with black oxide u-clips, and screws.

That looks really sharp!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Salt has been sprayed everywhere, the X has been stored away. Now I just dream of it till spring.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:45 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Salt has been sprayed everywhere, the X has been stored away. Now I just dream of it till spring.
Tomorrow Iï¸ will be driving mine to Disney. You can ride with me in spirit!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Stopped by body shop, my Ex has lots of new shiny parts attached to it. Had to reject the chrome grille (still in the shipping bag) and had them get a paint-to-match version!

Roof from Texas due on Monday! Hopefully getting back in a week or day or two more.

Really missing the Ex and it's PSD sound and torque.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:20 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by 01__Excursion

That does look good, they go very well with the XLT cladding!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Snowing today!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Snowing today!
We are in full swing winter here, snow on the ground and staying there!

Next week they are calling for High temps in the single digits

The Ex saw some use this week and will coming up since the other half wrecked my Chrysler so when it goes into the body shop it will be back to DD for a little while. I love that I can just fire the Excursion up and it's ready to go anywhere any time

Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Was 17 degrees here last night, but luckily, very dry. Hoping I get another week or two (or more) of driving the Ex before they start covering everything with salt. I think last year I was able to drive it into the beginning of December.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?