2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC P2102?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Tim_Cannon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTC P2102?

I keep getting this intermittently on my '06 KR. It will just suddenly drop into "Engine Failsafe Mode", which it should only do with a catastrophic cooling loss. I'm sure someone else has seen this but I didn't get any hits searching the forums. Advice?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure it's 2102? I'm looking in the manual and don't see that code.

But I did find this doing a google search..

DTC P2102 THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT LOW

What that means, I don't know.

Or was the code...
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><CAPTION>P2122 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D Circuit Low </CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle></TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle></TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle></TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle></TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle></TH></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left>Description: </TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=4 align=left>The accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 1 is out of self-test range low. </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left>Possible Causes: </TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=4 align=left>
  • APP sensor harness shorted to ground
  • Damaged APP sensor
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left>Diagnostic Aids: </TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=4 align=left>An APP1 sensor PID reading may indicate a concern. </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left>Application </TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left> </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Key On Engine Off </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Key On Engine Running </TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>Continuous Memory </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left>All </TD><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: medium none" vAlign=top align=left> </TD><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3 align=middle>GO to Pinpoint Test DK . </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

When you say Fail Safe Mode did it do this?
Note: Not all vehicles equipped with a cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor has the fail-safe cooling strategy.

The fail-safe cooling strategy is activated by the PCM only in the event that an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the CHT sensor. For additional information about the CHT sensor, refer to Engine Control Components in this section.

A cooling system failure such as low coolant or coolant loss could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, the fail-safe cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. This strategy allows the vehicle to be driven safely for a short time with some loss of performance when a overheat condition exist.

Engine temperature is controlled by varying and alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors. This allows all cylinders to cool. When the fuel injectors are disabled, their respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool the cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

A wide open throttle (WOT) delay is incorporated if the CHT temperature is exceeded during WOT operation. At WOT, the injectors function for a limited amount of time allowing the customer to complete a passing maneuver.

Before injectors are disabled, the fail-safe cooling strategy alerts the customer to a cooling system problem by moving the instrument cluster temperature gauge to the hot zone and a PCM DTC P1285 is set. Depending on the vehicle, other indicators, such as an audible chime or warning lamp, can be used to alert the customer of fail-safe cooling. If overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, a DTC P1299 is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates. If the overheating condition continues and a critical temperature is reached, all fuel injectors are turned off and the engine is disabled.

Or was the wrench indicator on? If so. then it was this...
Electronic throttle control (if equipped): Illuminates when the engine has defaulted to a ’limp-home’ operation. Report the
fault to a dealer at the earliest opportunity. On vehicles equipped with a message center, “ENGINE FAILSAFE
MODE” will be displayed, refer to Message Center in the manual.

This mode is different then the cooling failsafe mode.

Please give us some additional info so we can help.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Tim_Cannon
New User
I'm 100% sure it was 2102, I've had it so many times I can't miss it. There are no other codes thrown when this happens, and the words "Engine Failsafe Mode" on the dash are hard to miss. It is not the Check Engine or wrench. The engine coolant temp stays consistent at 190F when running, and the temp gauge never pegs hot. Clearing the code with my Edge programmer works. I get the code wether the Edge is connected or not, and if connected I get it while running in mode 0 (i.e. stock). Multiple dealers have found no issues and none has known anything about a 2102 code.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
It makes it a little easier to suggest a possible solution when you provide more information....

Per the manual engine Failsafe Mode is NOT the cooling failsafe mode. It is in reference to the throttle control actuator.

From my previous post...

Electronic throttle control (if equipped): Illuminates when the engine has defaulted to a ’limp-home’ operation. Report the
fault to a dealer at the earliest opportunity. On vehicles equipped with a message center, “ENGINE FAILSAFE
MODE” will be displayed
, refer to Message Center in the manual.

Since you have an edge. I would return the ECM to stock. Not the stock Edge program, but the OEM stock program. Then remove the battery cable to clear the ECM memory. Then drive it and see what happens.

This is about the only way to eliminate the Edge and its programs as a possible cause of this problem. If the dealer does not know what the code is then it may be something induced by the Edge.

And at this point, you need to elimate the Edge as the possible problem. Or the Edge could be masking the actual issue.

Take it back to OEM stock and post what happens.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Tim_Cannon
New User
Thank you sir, good suggestion, I'll try that and see what may be seen.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Take the TB off and clean it. The plate is starting to stick and the PCM sees that as a failure and puts it in failsafe mode to avoid the whole Toyota fiasco.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
Take the TB off and clean it. The plate is starting to stick and the PCM sees that as a failure and puts it in failsafe mode to avoid the whole Toyota fiasco.
The truck is throwing a code that is not listed in the manual and the dealer can not identfy. The best and easiest course of action is to return the ECM to OEM stock programming instead of removing the TB. Going back to stock removes all the variables that the Edge could make the truck throw a code that Ford does not use with its electronic throttle control system. He can then drive the truck and see it throws the same code again. I'm betting the if it does throw a code, it won't be 2102. It will be something identifiable in the manual.

You can do a google search on the code, but the responses for it are for Toyota vehicles.