Sponsored by: DP Tuner

shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 PM
chpro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shocks

Im a landscaper so theres a dump insert in the truck and i USE it alot wondering which shocks yinz perfer? There is no lift or suspention upgrades.

thanks to all

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't know what you mean by dump insert but as for shocks covering all four corners the Bilstiens are Heavy duty and were a nice choice to my setup, great shocks and with a great warranty.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Pop's is right.Bilstein's are good but if you have an Auto zone close they have heavy duty Gabriels that folks here are running that work good as well...Warranty too.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM
kccatpower
Senior User
if you are running a dump bed and are hauling material in the back alot i would look into adding air bags in the rear.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I second what Grady said.They work well.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kccatpower
if you are running a dump bed and are hauling material in the back alot i would look into adding air bags in the rear.
No disrespect intended but he's asking about shocks. Air bags are great (I even have a set on my rear axle) but do something quite different than the shocks.

Bilstiens appear to be the "go to" shock of choice on FTE. I've got a set of HD shocks from the regional tire emporum and they work great. I think that they are KYB but I'd have to check the receipt to make sure. I've had them for about 3 years and they seem to be doing their job nicely.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
chpro
New User
thanks guys i have been looking at the air bag system but the shocks do do a diffrent thing and it sounds like the bilsteins are the ones i will go with theye have been recomended by lots of ppl. thanks again.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
What ever you do don't put Monroes on. I just did there truck shocks and they suck. They are life time guaranty but suck. When I was younger they where the shock to stand by, But not for these trucks, Bilsteins are more but I bet well worth it"

Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyWonder
No disrespect intended but he's asking about shocks. Air bags are great (I even have a set on my rear axle) but do something quite different than the shocks.

Bilstiens appear to be the "go to" shock of choice on FTE. I've got a set of HD shocks from the regional tire emporum and they work great. I think that they are KYB but I'd have to check the receipt to make sure. I've had them for about 3 years and they seem to be doing their job nicely.

I am sure that he meant in addition to and not in replacement of.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
no disrespect taken. the only reason i thought it might help is that he has a dump bed. on my friends truck f-450 with a flat bed dump we noticed when trying to use the bed to spread gravel if you got on a slope or the load shifted that side of the truck would squat and cuase the gravel to pour to that side. after installing airbags the problem was not as bad and really helped the ride out when loaded. not sure if he uses his truck in this application or if he wants better ride loaded or unloaded. just trying to throw out options and ideas.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no disrespect taken. the only reason i thought it might help is that he has a dump bed. on my friends truck f-450 with a flat bed dump we noticed when trying to use the bed to spread gravel if you got on a slope or the load shifted that side of the truck would squat and cuase the gravel to pour to that side. after installing airbags the problem was not as bad and really helped the ride out when loaded. not sure if he uses his truck in this application or if he wants better ride loaded or unloaded. just trying to throw out options and ideas.
I am starting to sniff around for some myself. I know that Firestone is a big name any other's that I should look at?

Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by megawatt00
I am sure that he meant in addition to and not in replacement of.
Duh! I should have thought of that. I've got the Firestones on my truck with the in-cab compressor controls. It's really nice and convenient. You don't even need to get out of the truck to adjust the pressure up or down. Just don't flip the switch with your dog in the cab.

TinyWonder