1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: liner inside only or over the edges?
Keep the stock plastic in place
33.33%
Remove plastic and spray liner over the edges
66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

bed liner opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bed liner opinions?

I am wanting to have a spray in bed liner done to my truck. I have had friends who got Line-X installed at a local shop and they're happy with it. It doesn't seem to fade much and they give a lifetime warranty. So that is who I plan to use unless you can suggest a better alternative.

My big question is, should I have it done over the rails or not? I have the stock plastic pieces over the rails and tailgate now. It would be cheaper to leave the plastic in place, but I can't decide if it would look better with the liner over the edges instead.

Also, does anybody know if they pull / cover all the bed bolts before they spray? In other words, if I have to remove the bed after the liner is sprayed, will I be able to easily?

Thanks for any opinions or advice you can share.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Justin: My lineX was sprayed over 9 years ago and still looks great. They did remove the bed bolts. My bed rails still have the stock covers.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
kccatpower
Senior User
i would remove the plastic caps and spray over the edge. i would think the caps could trap water under them and cause rust issues over time. this is on my list of things to do also. they will spray over the bed bolts unless you tell them other wise. you can take a box knife and cut around the bolt if you do need to get them out. i had my old truck done at the line x in raytown, my friend has had several done and each time they did a great job.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was already sprayed when I got the truck, they sprayed over the bolts. i just cut them out with a razor knife when I had to lift the bed for a goose neck install. They left the plastic rails on mine and did just the inside of the bed. My Tacoma has it over the rails, and I like it. Being in MO, I would think rust would be the big concern, might pull the plastic and go over the rail with it for that reason more than any other.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Pull the plastic, That stuff is tough stuff. You can then load from the side and not have to worry about scratching your rails. Plus if you gotta stand on the rails you wont fall as easy as you would with the plastic. I personally think it would look better. If I do mine, thats the route ill be goin.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Plastic ones are junky. Things slide around easily and it rubs the paint off of the bed where it touches. One of these day's I'm gonna gather up some cash and head to the Line-X guy to have him repair my off brand spray in liner that came with the truck and have him do the over the rail coating.

For an example of how tough this stuff is, I had a 100 gallon transfer covered in Line-X. When I slid it out of the truck after getting it done, the corner of it almost rubbed through the plastic on top of the tail gate and gave me one hell of a brush burn. I even drug it across some rough concrete without scratching it.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the plastic that covers the sides and top of the tailgate has a bunch of holes under it for them to snap in. What would you do with all the holes?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I thought the plastic that covers the sides and top of the tailgate has a bunch of holes under it for them to snap in. What would you do with all the holes?
Excellent question. I haven't tried removing them yet so I wasn't even sure how they were attached.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin03PSD
Excellent question. I haven't tried removing them yet so I wasn't even sure how they were attached.
Look under the caps and you will see all the clips that goes in the holes of the truck.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Shade
Senior User
There are more than a dozen holes down the top of the bedsides under the plastic rails. They are also pretty uneven, it would require welding the holes up and doing some bodywork to get the tops straight. I'll get a picture of my 'spare' bed and try to post it tomorrow, I was really surprised when I saw what it looks like without the plastic. Pretty bad when you can't take those cheap crappy plastic rails off to get it sprayed. The tailgate is almost as bad.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Shade
There are more than a dozen holes down the top of the bedsides under the plastic rails. They are also pretty uneven, it would require welding the holes up and doing some bodywork to get the tops straight. I'll get a picture of my 'spare' bed and try to post it tomorrow, I was really surprised when I saw what it looks like without the plastic. Pretty bad when you can't take those cheap crappy plastic rails off to get it sprayed. The tailgate is almost as bad.
Exaclty. The plastic rails snap into place. If you remove them, you'll have to cover them up with something. You could have them spray over the plastic rails, but you need to leave them in place since there are no replacement options other than stock I've seen.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
K9Jon74
Freshman User
I like the Line X bedliner

Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
TinyWonder
Postmaster
After 100,000 or 200,000 or 300,000 etc. miles on our trucks I would suspect that there will be a need to have some kind of body work done. I'm all for leaving the stock plastic caps on and just spraying inside the bed. And IF the plastic caps wear some paint off or cause a bit of rust have it fixed.

My truck came with a bed line by Arma... I've never heard of them before, if I had to do my own I wouldn't use them. I would go with Line-X. They seem to be the leader of the pack.

TinyWonder

Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 AM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
You can always put some of these in there. They also have ones that drop into them and are low profile untell you need them.

Universal Chrome Anchor Point by Autocraft - Part AC48/CX136 - Advance Auto Parts

Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I used RhinoLiner
Rhino Linings
Very happy with it. No slip. I have spilt oil, dergreaser, carry my tools. No scratches, stains or marks. If you want to sell the truck they can touch it up and have it looking like new.

Quick Reply: bed liner opinions?