Sponsored by: DP Tuner

O.T. (a bit) Travel Trailers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
Hi Guys, resurecting this thread a bit: We are now looking at a 2011 Forest River Siera TT, model 323FK, which we like, and it seems to be, to us on the high end of the middle of the road as far as quality, its 35.9 long, here is the link-(hopefully)
Please LMK what you think, espessely "RVTech" Thanks!!

2011 Forest River SIERRA 323FK, Travel Trailer Front Kitchen RV For Sale in Fort Worth, Texas | United RV Center | RVT.com - 46293
In addition to what Steve just said I want to add something from my experience.
Since you are buying new, spec out to them stronger axles than the ones that they are offering on that unit and be willing to wait for them to build it. It will take 2-3 months waiting time, but it will be worth it's weight in gold.
My trailer came with 6000lb axles installed on it and while they carried the weight of the trailer OK on smooth stretches of road, whenever there was a dip in the road, the whole tail end of the trailer would bob up and down badly.
I still had 1500 lb to go before they were overloaded.
Then they ended up bending under the load and the tires were wearing out in less than 10,000 miles.
So I took it back to the dealer and had them install new 8000 lb axles.
The difference in the way that it rides is like night and day. It simply floats over the same dips in the road that I used to dread.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Steve & Dan, Hey, Thanks for the fast replies!! Good info!! The actual one we're looking at is here in Florida, at Lazy days RV in seffner/Tampa, THEIR list price is right at 41k and they offered it to us for right at 31k, so if we end up deceiding on this one, we're going to offer less of course, but how much less do you guys think they will take? 25k?-Dan, I'll sure check on the axles, it has 6 lug wheels and 2257515ST tires on it like my car hauler has and IT has 2-5500# axles under it, its rated at 10,400gvw.
The Sierra is right at 9k empty and we're kind of figuring nearly 1k in water & supplies, clothes and whatnot before its done..........

BTW Guys: One more Question and it is about my LATE '99 F350 Dually.... it has only 95k miles on it and no trans troubles (yet) so I'm wondering about an auxilliary cooler for it BEFORE we start towing that heavy.....any suggestions??

Thanks very much again for all the help, guys!!--Rick

Old 10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick, Just to go along with Dan's comment. I would suggest, you make sure the dealer puts on tires that are made in the U.S. Most all of the ST tires are made in china, they are called CHINA bombs. Most people are going to LT tires, load rated D or E depending on the weight.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Is 41K their price or the MSRP sticker?

I would also note, it is fine to ask for things in the deal, but the profit margin on these things is nowhere near as great as folks think it is. The wholesale cost is not 50% of retail as folks often suggest. What I find when I am working on one of my dealers' lots is folks come in, negotiate a bottom dollar price, and then throw in everything but the kitchen sink. It just doesn't work that way.

One final thought about pricing. Often folks search the entire country for the lowest price and then want service at their home town dealer. In that scenario, they may get it and they may not, but they will always fall in behind the dealer's own customers. Warranty coverage is nothing like it is with a car or truck.

As always my two cents worth,

Steve

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM
overthehillbill
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My camper has a center kitchen/lounge and we will be selling it and getting one with a rear lounge. At most of the CG's the back in sites have the best view from the rear of the camper. Just a thought.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillbill
My camper has a center kitchen/lounge and we will be selling it and getting one with a rear lounge. At most of the CG's the back in sites have the best view from the rear of the camper. Just a thought.
Although the best floor plan is the one you want, fivers and TTS with rear lounges are much easier to sell!

Steve

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
Steve & Dan, Hey, Thanks for the fast replies!! Good info!! The actual one we're looking at is here in Florida, at Lazy days RV in seffner/Tampa, THEIR list price is right at 41k and they offered it to us for right at 31k, so if we end up deceiding on this one, we're going to offer less of course, but how much less do you guys think they will take? 25k?-Dan, I'll sure check on the axles, it has 6 lug wheels and 2257515ST tires on it like my car hauler has and IT has 2-5500# axles under it, its rated at 10,400gvw.
The Sierra is right at 9k empty and we're kind of figuring nearly 1k in water & supplies, clothes and whatnot before its done..........

BTW Guys: One more Question and it is about my LATE '99 F350 Dually.... it has only 95k miles on it and no trans troubles (yet) so I'm wondering about an auxilliary cooler for it BEFORE we start towing that heavy.....any suggestions??

Thanks very much again for all the help, guys!!--Rick
Those axles will "carry the weight" of your trailer just fine.
But I can tell you from personal experience that they will be riding like a heavily loaded semi truck.
My 8k leaf springs are not flattened out under the load like the 6k axles were.
That extra bow in the 8k springs provides that extra "give" when traveling uneven roads.
End result is no tail wagging like it was doing before.
If you really want some bigger axles in there and are buying new, then spec them out on the build sheet, and be willing to wait for them to build you a trailer.
It will be the least expensive option you have.
If you buy a trailer and then swap out the axles right away it will cost you a good $2k extra.