Sponsored by: Moser

Petronics Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petronics Ignition

I am on my second Petronics Ignition,I also have the flame thrower coil to go with it, F100, 390 stock, truck runs fine with points set up with flame thrower coil, when I put the Petronics ignition module in it starts to skip and I have to close the gap between the module and magnet all the way for it to start, I have 12V constant voltage going to the module and the original coil wire going to coil.What am I doing wrong? I have the same set up on another engine with no problems. I was reading today that the flame thrower coil has an internal resitor so that you do not need the factory resistor wire, this is the only thing I have not tried is 12v non resistive power to coil, how can this effect the Petronics and not the points set up?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is supposed to be a certain size air gap between the module and magnet. Is the magnet down all the way? Its supposed to be even with the top of the module.

I don't think your supposed to have to but maybe you need to readjust timing after installing the Pertronix ignition? This system should have 12v going to the coil.

When I talked to the Pertronix staff through emial a couple weeks ago they said they recommend their wires with the setup.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
I tried setting the gap with the supplied tool, did not fire until i closed the gap all the way, magnet is down all the way sitting on top of the distributor shaft as far as it will go, once i did have it running with Petronics, i did rest the timing, it ran ok, around 2k rpm it sounded like it was missing, adjust the carb, did not make a difference, so it sat for a couple of hours, restarted to put in gargage and that was when it started skipping, put the points back in, readjusted the timing and it runs fine, weird? I am calling Petronics tommorrow to see if they can shed some light on the problem.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 PM
akforceten
Elder User
I had the same problem the unit went bad so i couldnt afford a new one so i converted to a duraspark setup an have had no problems an it cost less than pextronics

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Call Petronics, you can't use just any coil with certain pickups. They are very helpful and will get you straightened out. They make top notch stuff if i't's all matched up right.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
I am using their flame thrower coil, after talking to them today i am going to run my constant 12v to the coil instaead of using the factory resistive wire for coil power. Supposedly this will take care of it, i do not have the problem with points and the flame thrower. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM
rdweathers
Senior User
Turns out I had two problems, the flame thrower coil requires a constant 12v, I had it conected to the factory resistive wire, and the magnet that slips over the distibutor shaft was to low, the top of the magnet needs to be flush with the top of the pickup module, i used some weatherstripping caulk "dumb dumb as it was called years ago" to shim it up, i may change this out by cutting off some of the rotor button and using as shim under magnet.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
dowurk74
Freshman User
hey guys... i was researching the pertronix system as an alternative to points... but at the same time, my vacuum advance is going bad. if i purchase the pertronix gig,will it render the vacuum advance useless or still need to get another one?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
I would buy a new distributor and put the Petronix set up in it. Or if money allows just buy a complete distributor from Petronix.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dowurk74
hey guys... i was researching the pertronix system as an alternative to points... but at the same time, my vacuum advance is going bad. if i purchase the pertronix gig,will it render the vacuum advance useless or still need to get another one?
The Pertronix unit is completely self-contained to the footprint of the original points. It doesn't touch anything in the rest of the distributor. Yes, you still need the vacuum advance - this is independent of the electronic ignition. In other words, you need to replace your vacuum advance independent of upgrading to Pertronix.

Originally Posted by rdweathers
I would buy a new distributor and put the Petronix set up in it. Or if money allows just buy a complete distributor from Petronix.
I do not understand why you tell him to replace the entire distributor just because of a bad vacuum advance. The vacuum advance is cheap and easy to install - it's just two screws, an E-clip and a vacuum line. An entire distributor is a much bigger job.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have the right Petronix for your distributor there should be no issues. No shimming and using proper air gap. Something is just not right there. Full battery voltage to module is correct, reduced voltage to it "can" cause problems. Coil, you seem to have under control.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:11 PM
rdweathers
Senior User
I suggested replacing the complete distributor because an original replacement unit is very cheap in my area not to mention the wear and tear on a 30 year old unit.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
dowurk74
Freshman User
thanks guys... i decided to upgrade to pertronix and a new vacuum advance.. I received the pertronix today and the vacuum advance yesterday, so you know it will be a project weekend. ill keep you guys posted to see if the beast wakes up.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Follow directions on wiring and you should be fine.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
dowurk74
Freshman User
alright guys... installed both ignitor II and flamethrower II... turn the key and...she wont start... she'll turn over but wont catch. i doubled and tripled check my connections and such....i have gas.. what do you guys think would cause this problem? you think my timing is off?

Quick Reply: Petronics Ignition