Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help and it's bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Need help and it's bad...

I left the movie earlier and came out to find a small but good sized oil puddle below my truck....

Since I replaced the pump with an Adrenaline yesterday, I immediately suspected it as the cause....I lift the hood and find the hpop and surrounding area covered in a light amount of oil. I checked the lines and they don't show any signs of leaking. I even went over to friends house and had him rev to 2100 and still saw no leaks from the lines. The resevoir seems to be covered in oil though...

Where else could it possibly leak?!? I have to leave for a business trip by tomorrow afternoon and need some guidance...

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Big Monk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you re-tightened everything..Maybe a loose hose clamp.. Have you checked the valley for deposits..?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Did you clean your motor after you changed HPOP? Could the oil puddle be the oil draining down from where you was working on it? As said go ahead and re check ever thing.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
I made sure things were tight to begin with, I torques everything down and made one final pass to make sure I didn't miss anything or something wasn't reasonably tight...but I'll check again.

Any other suggestions? It's pouring down rain, power is out, but I'm going to head put once the rain lets up...Let me know whatelse y'all might think of....

Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
make sure quik connect HPO lines are seated in the boss'. Make sure front cover over gear bolt is not leaking and the oil is not being blown back. reach under and check that IPR is not leaking. If all that checks out then you could have a cracked HOP resevior.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 AM
flatbeder
Posting Guru
Did you check the EBHV, I hope I got that rite?, these are prone to leaking in these trucks.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:19 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Even though you are revving your engine to 2100 rpm, it may not be building the same pressure in the system sitting still as it would pulling the truck down the road.

Do the usual, get everything cleaned up, then recheck for leaks after a drive, or try revving up in the driveway, maybe it'll show up then.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Even though you are revving your engine to 2100 rpm, it may not be building the same pressure in the system sitting still as it would pulling the truck down the road.

Do the usual, get everything cleaned up, then recheck for leaks after a drive, or try revving up in the driveway, maybe it'll show up then.
I thought about that...I may just have someone power brake it while I look at it and it should make itself known.

I just rechecked the hpop resevoir gasket an it wasn't seated correctly and was damaged. It was replaced with old one as it seated better than the new one. After a test drive it seems to have sealed better, but I still came back home to find oil below the hood.

One thing did occur to me though: is there a way for the HPOP gasket to shift during re-installation and even the tightening phase? I'm dreading having to do this again, but if I have to, I will since I don't have much of a choice...

Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yes, it's possible for a gasket to shift during installation, but if you're careful it typically doesn't happen. Be sure and check the rear plug and the non-serviceable plug to play it safe. Brandon has a good though about the little cover on the front.

What exactly was wrong with the o-ring gasket between the reservoir top and the top of the front cover? Was the gasket not sitting down in the groove, or was it just torn? If you overtightened the bolts with the gasket out of line, it could have cracked the metal. Let's hope that's not it.

Now, how bad is your leak? I believe it was Ron who had a torn gasket in his reservoir for several months or maybe years. It was just a nuisance leak and did not affect how the truck ran.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by F350-6
Yes, it's possible for a gasket to shift during installation, but if you're careful it typically doesn't happen. Be sure and check the rear plug and the non-serviceable plug to play it safe. Brandon has a good though about the little cover on the front.

What exactly was wrong with the o-ring gasket between the reservoir top and the top of the front cover? Was the gasket not sitting down in the groove, or was it just torn? If you overtightened the bolts with the gasket out of line, it could have cracked the metal. Let's hope that's not it.

Now, how bad is your leak? I believe it was Ron who had a torn gasket in his reservoir for several months or maybe years. It was just a nuisance leak and did not affect how the truck ran.
Howdy Chris

The gasket on the resevoir was out of place when I found it and stretched so that it didn't sit well in the groove. Just went for a drive, and still found oil, but less this time. So it appears the resevoir gasket is sealing as it should.

I checked the non-serviceable plug but didn't check the rear plug The non servicable plug is tight and seems to be oil free though...

The bad part is that this is affecting how the truck drives and I'm at the end of my rope....

I'm done messing with it I've done all I can taking it apart 2 and 3 times with no help in my greatest hour of need from the man who not only built and designed these pumps, but said "call me anytime"...

It's going to DI Performance tomorrow...I'll keep y'all posted on their findings.

Chris, Brandon, boys...Thank you all for help and suggestion. I definitely owe y'all one...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Let us know what David finds.

Fingers crossed your out of place gasket didn't crack the front cover.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I too am curious as to what the problem is.

Do you still have your old pump?

Stewart

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I too am curious as to what the problem is.

Do you still have your old pump?

Stewart
Yes and I thought about putting it in just to see if the pump itself was the problem, but didn't have time. I had already done the installation a few times and was hell bent on getting the Adrenaline to work since my fuel economy and power were getting worse with the old pump. Looking back, I should've put the old pump back and sucked it up...

The worse part is, Bob Riley hasn't returned any of my messages...definitely something that worries me...

Btw Stewart I think I see what you're getting at, I may consider it if things don't work out with the Adrenaline...

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
While I'm not a big fan of the Adrenaline, I have heard that Bob has excellent customer service. I can only imagine he's out of town or something and that's why he hasn't responded.

I was going to suggest you put your old pump back on, but since you're heading to David's shop, the point it moot.

Stewart

Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
I thought about that...I may just have someone power brake it while I look at it and it should make itself known.
Definitely don't do this. Bad things can happen. Also you might not be able to build enough oil pressure to cause it to leak.

In all likelihood, it's probably one of the HPOP lines leaking where it connects at the fitting. I was having hell with the same problem these past few months, as mine wouldn't leak a drop in the driveway, but would dump a gallon of oil on the road. Later I found that it would only leak oil when pressures went above 2500 psi (with the way I drive, that was pretty often). Found out that the driver's side line at the HPOP fitting was the culprit, so I replaced the line and both fittings all at the same time. After disassembling everything, the HPOP line at the connector wore out the fitting. There was a nice groove where it had been vibrating and wearing out.

So far, no leaks up to 3000 psi. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But yeah, I had a hell of a time finding the leak, and only after repeated leaks did it build up enough oil sludge at the leak site for me to pinpoint it.

Not saying that yours is worn out at the line fitting, but it's possible that it's not fully seated. Since it's leaking, but not at lower pressures, it's not going to be evident exactly where the leak is just sitting in the driveway.

Quick Reply: Need help and it's bad...