Notices

Soap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 AM
MickeyP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soap question

My favorite car wash soap was something called DuPont Car Wash powder, which came in a silver cardboard-like can. Stuff had a great "body" to it; it didn't break-down when cleaning the tough areas.

I haven't been able to find it for over a year now (discontinued?), and all the substitutes I've tried are, well, not to my liking. I've tried Finish 2000 (like water), Armor-All (same, breaks down too easily, even if I use extra) and a couple others. So,

1. First, can anyone in other parts of the country still find the DuPont powder?

2. Any recommendations for a substitute? Keep in mind that I'm someone who doesn't believe in paying a lot for what is essentially soap, so if the advice is for something that's like $5 or greater for a little bottle, I'm not interested -- $3 or less only.

Thanks to everyone for their input/advice!

Old 02-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Soap question

You're right about that Dupont powder stuff. Several years back I worked for a landscape construction company and that is what we used to clean up the trucks, top to bottom. I used to grab a little for my own personal use because I liked it so much. I haven't seen it around for a while either.

I did have someone tell me once that he had heard that it could be a little hard on the paint if overused. I went ahead and used it like crazy anyway (hey, it was free and worked great!)

Old 02-12-2003, 05:21 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soap question

Keep in mind you're talking to someone that can be a little fanatical when it comes to keeping a vehicle clean (detailed cars for a living, own show cars, etc...). If you're getting into situations where the truck gets REAL dirty or muddy, then I probably can't help. But in all my years of washing vehicles, I've found that if you keep a good coat of pure wax (NOT polish) on it, then all I ever need is clear water and a good wash mitt. I haven't used ANY soap on any of my vehicles for over 20 years. I think the soap leaves a film that just attracts more dirt, creating what some folks call "road film."

Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 PM
MickeyP
Senior User
Soap question

Interesting. I actually share quite a bit of your fanaticism, but not quite to the same level (no show cars). The truck is sort of a beater, but only in the context that it gets all the foul weather duty while the ’99 black A4 hogs the garage. Someday I’ll post a pic of my Smurf blue ’94 Ranger on the site; I think you’ll agree that while there may be other 9-year-old trucks out there, few look better for their age (wish I could say the same for the owner ).

I too perform the water-only washes, mostly on the A4. The problem is that water is lousy on brake dust (the A4 is a “dust-puker extraordinaire” thanks to soft pads, and it’s BLACK dust to boot!) and other tough deposits (tar, salt, road pizza, etc.) so I ultimately will use soap every couple washes. I don’t want to get into a soap film debate, but I’ll say this: I dry my cars immediately after washing with cotton towels (I’ve heard that a chamois can pull wax off), so if there’s any film left, it’s not significant to this pair of eyes. The truck gets waxed twice a year with products that Consumer Reports ranks highly for durability, in this case Prestone Bullet Wax (polymer-based waxes don't bother me). I use Meguiar's Gold Class on the A4 (once a year) along with their spray-on detailer in between.

I don’t have to tell you about maintaining black finishes, so you KNOW what I go through washing and drying that. It’s my second black vehicle, even though I SWORE “never again” after the first. Beautiful when clean, but hard to get and keep that way. Having the truck allows the car to stay clean a lot longer, and in between there’s the Kozak cloth. What’s your opinion on them, BTW? Do you use the “mop” style one?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Also, nice to know that SOME car salespersons are actually into cars!

Old 02-12-2003, 08:27 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Soap question

Originally posted by MickeyP

I too perform the water-only washes, mostly on the A4. The problem is that water is lousy on brake dust (the A4 is a “dust-puker extraordinaire” thanks to soft pads, and it’s BLACK dust to boot! Having the truck allows the car to stay clean a lot longer, and in between there’s the Kozak cloth. What’s your opinion on them, BTW? Do you use the “mop” style one?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Also, nice to know that SOME car salespersons are actually into cars!
Oh man, don't get me started! I've been a car nut since I was 3 years old- you should have been here the day I had a Cobra sitting in front of the showroom (a REAL Cobra, not a kit) next to a Panoz Esperante'. Then, an Allard pulled up next to both of them! I nearly had heart failure! I mean, an ALLARD!! I'd only ever seen them in books. I could go on all night, but I won't. As for Kozak, they're great- I didn't know they had a mop style. I've used them for years, and oddly enough, they're made right down the road from me, in Batavia, NY. It seems they never wear out.

And what IS IT with German cars and brake dust, especially Audis and VWs? It seems like every Jetta has black front wheels and silver rear ones. If your wheels are clear-coated, then you should be putting the same wax on them you put on the rest of the car. A wet rag and that brake dust will wipe right off, assuming you're getting to it BEFORE the film gets too heavy.

Have you ever tried Dri Wash 'n Guard? It's a waterless car wash/ glaze that is just amazing. You can wash and wax the whole car in about 20 minutes. I didn't believe it till I tried it for myself. A little expensive, but worth it when you're pressed for time. They also have some other good products, especially their metal polish. I believe they've added a brake dust cleaner, too. You really should check it out. And one more thing: the alcohol-based window cleaners you can only get at auto-supply stores. FANTASTIC!!! Best window cleaner there is. Just don't use it around an open flame, for obvious reasons!

Old 02-13-2003, 07:38 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Soap question

Kozak cloth? I'm not familiar with that. Why do you guys like it so much? Do you use it during a wash or in between? I have a Black clearcoat finish that keeps me way too busy, especially now during wintertime. Anything to make life easier in that regard would be great. What is Kozak made of, and where can I get it? Thanks for any info.

Old 02-13-2003, 08:42 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Soap question

Where else?

http://www.kozak.com

It's a flannel cloth impregnated with chemicals that "dry-clean" your car, for lack of a better description. Been around for years. They're great for black cars that are dusty- saves you from having to get the hose and bucket out.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Soap question

Thanks for the link. The website also gives a little historical info, which I thought was interesting, especially in how the name came about. I'm a little surprised I had not heard of Kozak before. In any event, I placed an order and look forward to trying it out.

Old 02-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Soap question

i use to use the DuPont Car Wash to about a year ago but i haven't be able to find it for along time.i asked a friend and he said that he thought it been discontinued..but now=a=days my truck is muddy 365 days out of the year becasue i figure if i spend 5 bucks cleaning it ,it just gets muddy at 4 30 the next day and i also live down a gravel road

Old 02-13-2003, 01:17 PM
MickeyP
Senior User
Soap question

Originally posted by rockledge
Thanks for the link. The website also gives a little historical info, which I thought was interesting, especially in how the name came about. I'm a little surprised I had not heard of Kozak before. In any event, I placed an order and look forward to trying it out.
Rock,
I've been using them since, oh, 1983-ish or so. They're not sold everywhere, and it's the type of product that most people would initially sneer at (I ain't rubbin' no dry cloth on my dirty car!) like I did. But they work really nicely. As '56 says, they're best for "not rained upon" dust, which black cars show like 2 days after a wash. You can literally do the whole car in about 2 minutes.

I wouldn't use it for winter salt and such, but that's your decision. Having a good wax underneath helps, too.

Jim,

Thanks for the DuPont confirmation. I think you're right -- the stuff is out of production.

'56,

Nope, never heard of an Allard. Panoz, yes (C/D reader, 24 years strong). Anywho,

As for Kozak, they're great- I didn't know they had a mop style

One Friday last summer, I stumbled on one of those "parking lot old car" rallies, so I just had to pull in. (Man, was it great!) Just about all of them were using these mops, but I don't know if they were Kozak brand or something else. Gonna get me one, though...

And what IS IT with German cars and brake dust, especially Audis and VWs? It seems like every Jetta has black front wheels and silver rear ones. If your wheels are clear-coated, then you should be putting the same wax on them you put on the rest of the car. A wet rag and that brake dust will wipe right off, assuming you're getting to it BEFORE the film gets too heavy.

What you're seeing is a combo-effect of organic pads, brake-happiness and too-lazy-to-clean owner, all rolled into one. Having a 5sp manual, I'm the KING of engine braking (not downshifting, just letting off earlier) just because of the dust factor. Ironically, it's made me a better driver to a small degree as well (except for the ocassional yellowish-reddish light I run to avoid stopping, but we don't need to go there now )

Wax doesn't help, at least not enough to warrant the effort since my wheels are the "sport" variety (remember Panasport wheels? Similar.) But when I Kozak the thing, I do what you mention with the wet rag on the wheels. I still get that crap all over my hands, though.

Have you ever tried Dri Wash 'n Guard?

Nope, but I'll look for it when this !#@* polar air goes away. Sounds good, especially the brake stuff.

And one more thing: the alcohol-based window cleaners you can only get at auto-supply stores. FANTASTIC!!! Best window cleaner there is. Just don't use it around an open flame, for obvious reasons!

Back around '83 or so, C/D magazine did an article on detailing. One of the tricks the detailer used was for the windows: Plain old cotton towels dipped in plain hot water, rub-rub-rub, buff with dry cotton towel. I haven't used any other method since. In fact, I now simply use my first stage "car drying" towel for the windows as soon as I finish drying the car. After the windows, that same towel wipes down the seats, dash, dool panels and finally the jambs, last. Works for me.

BTW, I've been a Rain-X user since about '84 as well. I have not used my wipers since then, either (swear to you-know-who on that). In fact, I didn't change the wiper blades on the Ranger until '00 -- six years later! Stuff is amazing!

Last edited by MickeyP; 02-13-2003 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Superbru
Senior User
Soap question

I use Mcguiars liquid car wash. Won't strip the wax and does a good job cleaning. Bought it a Wally world. Don't remember the price, but it was OK.

I think the DuPont stuff is history. Here in Delaware,(home of DuPont) we used to see their products everywhere, but not now. Too bad. some of their stuff was good.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:18 PM
DeKuma
Senior User
Soap question

For the "not rained on dust" I use the "original" California duster. It works great for this type of cleaning and is not to bad on the "rained on" dust either. Only problem with it is if there is any moisture on the truck, then it will streak a bit. Just wipe it with a clean cloth if this happens and all is good.
These "mops" are available just about everywhere I have seen. They are a good choice IMHO.

Old 02-14-2003, 02:04 PM
MickeyP
Senior User
Soap question

Bru,

Thanks for the McGuiar's reference, think I'll give that a try. We gots a W-world right 'round the corner now, so it's just a matter of if I'm in the mood to fight the mob or not.

Noted on DuPont, thanks. Sounds as if they totally got out of the retail product arena altogether, content to simply earn billions in the industrial sector. Go figure...

Scott,

Thanks for clarifying the mop issue. Wonder if it's the same chemical stuff as the Kozak has, although it doesn't really matter if they both work the same.

Old 02-16-2003, 10:21 AM
jamesg
Senior User
Soap question

Hey, FYI, Dupont DOES still make the No. 7 Car Wash Powder. I still stock it in the parts store. It is a little hard to find. Here in Central PA, every parts store carries it. Still sells very well and is relatively cheap. I use it myself, best car wash I ever used. Dupont has gone more of the "Professional" route with their products, so the No. 7 line can be hard to find.

Jimmie

2003 F250SD SC SB XLT

Old 02-16-2003, 12:34 PM
MickeyP
Senior User
Soap question

Jimmie,

Thanks for not only confirming that it’s still made, but also giving me the “missing link” in the name: No. 7. As soon as a I did a search on the internet using No. 7 instead of DuPont, I found lots mail order sources for it. (Who woulda thunk it.)

Having given up on this, I finally broke-down and went to Wally-World last night to see what they had to offer. I (reluctantly) bought a 64oz. container of Blue Coral car wash liquid, which will now promptly be returned. A classic case of Murphy’s Law, article 7, which states “as soon as you give up your search and buy something else, the item in question will suddenly appear -- like magic”. (OK, I make that up. But it’s true.)

Hey, one more question. Since you’re a user yourself, do you remember the “drawstring” style measuring cap on the can, which has been replaced by a standard plastic lid? What’s funny is the instructions still tell you to “use a half of a capful”. Now THAT’S concentrated!

Thanks again -- to you for helping me solve this, and everyone else for making this a good discussion overall. Once again, FTE shows its value!

Quick Reply: Soap question