Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Timing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a 3/4 open end wrench fits perfect on the front of the ip on that "bump". The one right behind the ip gear cover and in line with the top bolt. Works like a charm for tuning the IP. Although i have never started the truck with the ip "loose" that sounds like bad things waiting to happen and i thought it was highly NOT recommended. just thinking back to when i was asking similar questions.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would never have the IP loose enough to turn while the engine was running.

Close tolerances in the IP, just a little play in the shaft could spell disaster.

Besides, with the small amounts you want to move the IP, it is much easier to do with the engine off.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:25 AM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Give it a try man. It isn't hard at all. Might have to grind a wrench down to get at the three nuts. rotating the pump towards the passenger side advances it. I heard the cold timing advance is only 2 degrees and if you get it right you will hear a difference especially if you take it for a drive. Your truck will be noticeably louder with the cold advance on and once it shuts off the truck will run quieter. Just keep adjusting until you find that zone. It might be a little difficult at first but after but you will get the hang of it.