1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

air bag install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:55 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air bag install

i know there are a few people that were looking for pics on the install of air springs on our trucks. well here you go.....

before

the air bag setup

installed but deflated

inflated

the fill chucks

drivers side

there very easy to install as long as you have a good drill bit set. drivers side is the worst because on fuel lines. but other than that 2-3 hr install.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
montrese04
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you bag it for towing purposes or show purposes. i imagine towing seeing as you didnt make the c-notch higher

Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Good stuff. I was curious about the mounting.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks for those pics! how much travel do they offer? meaning how high do they pump up too or is there a way to measure with that particular setup? did you have to remove the bump stops?

you guys think that it would be possible to cut the leaf spring in half just behind the mounted air bag mounts and use them for 100% air ride? would they hold up?

so i take it with the air lines in the back bumper you cannot change the ride height on the fly?

EDIT... sorry i must have missed the boat on this, what kit is this?

-cutts-

Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the pics, helps demonstrate how easy it is.

Do you have the manual fill bags or are you hooking up a compressor?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is very strange. I have already seen this thread and even posted in it. Wow no replies till today.
Anyways I just did the same install. Firestone kit.
Thanks for posting these pics up.
In your third picture the bottom bracket is sloped forward. The picture where it is installed but deflated. This should be leveled so the airbag is not leaning like it is. Both brackets should be level, not just the top one.
The kit should have come with two taller spacers that you can put in there and make that lower bracket level. This will reduce the wear and stress on the bags. If your kit didn't come with some let me know. I have two extra shims I can give you if you like.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
This is very strange. I have already seen this thread and even posted in it. Wow no replies till today.
In your third picture the bottom bracket is sloped forward. The picture where it is installed but deflated. This should be leveled so the airbag is not leaning like it is. Both brackets should be level, not just the top one.
The kit should have come with two taller spacers that you can put in there and make that lower bracket level. This will reduce the wear and stress on the bags. If your kit didn't come with some let me know. I have two extra shims I can give you if you like.
Its the bottom bracket that is sloped forward or the upper bracket needs to be backwards? because in that pics thats seems to me Or better said, both brackets need to be a little backwards IMO to be centerd with the axle, like in the other side.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not talking about sliding forward or aft. Although that may help a little to be centered on the axle.

But the upper bracket is level and the bottom bracket is not.
That is the issue I am speaking of.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Red face

I'm not talking about sliding forward or aft. Although that may help a little to be centered on the axle.

But the upper bracket is level and the bottom bracket is not.
That is the issue I am speaking of.
Oh, OK, I misunderstood the word slope for sliding for my bad English, and now I understand why sometimes you have to use the taller spacers in the kit you talked about. Thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru

lol. nothing was tightend in that pic.

they are helwigs

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Any idea if they will work on a truck with factory overloads?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Originally Posted by mountaineer27
lol. nothing was tightend in that pic.

they are helwigs
LOL. and now I even can see the spacers in the front part of the bottom bracket.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I was wondering if they work with teh factory overloads too but I just remembered I saw them on a friend of mines with them last month so I guess they do. That was a 97 f350 dually.
I was about to do the firestones on mine 350 and it's got double factory overload springs. Well, I added a leaf to them. I want to keep them because my camper is pretty top heavy and I think the springs and air bags should make it pretty stable on the back. It's good to see pictures of it so I know what I am getting into before hand.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RRranch
I was wondering if they work with teh factory overloads too but I just remembered I saw them on a friend of mines with them last month so I guess they do. That was a 97 f350 dually.
I was about to do the firestones on mine 350 and it's got double factory overload springs. Well, I added a leaf to them. I want to keep them because my camper is pretty top heavy and I think the springs and air bags should make it pretty stable on the back. It's good to see pictures of it so I know what I am getting into before hand.

the instructions dont mention anything about factor overloads so i would guess they would work.as long as your ubolt top plate is over the overload your good. the bolts are about 8 inches long.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
rdnkboy
New User
Air Bags

I think they make them for overload spring setups too.. I put a set on my friends 00 F250.. it was very EZ, he pulls a HEAVY Gooseneck Horse trailer and it only takes 50psi to lift him up and it rides like a dream......

Quick Reply: air bag install