Found the engine issue...... need some suggestions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Found the engine issue...... need some suggestions

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM
DeereTech05
Junior User
DeereTech05 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I was messing with the truck this past weekend and I knew that it was putting oil into the cooler from the turbo, noticed that when I was messing with injectors earlier. I pulled the intake pipe off of the turbo to see how bad the turbo slack was, well there is my problem. Looks like it had a bad filter, or no filter, anyway there is litteraly mud in the pipe, turbo has bent fins. So Ive been working on pulling the engine out this week.

Here is where I need some help. I know the basic stuff Im going to have to do for the rebuild, but I need some suggestions on extra things that I might need to do to prevent future problems. This truck has 236,000 miles on it, looks like it hasnt just been taken care of that great. What I would like to do is make this truck into something I can take anywhere and not have to worry about it, that wasnt the orriginal plan but since I have to spend the money I might as well.....

Also I would like to do some mild/medium mods to it while I have the engine out. Im looking at some injectors from Rosewood Diesel Shop in OH. You can google them, they have some pretty good prices I think on their rebuilt injectors. If I got a set of stage 2 injectors, how much other changes will I have to make? Im up for any other mod suggestions too, especially some of the cheap easy ones I have seen on here, there are just too many to keep up with.

Also what about machine shop work, is there very much you can do to these engines as far as machine work?

This will probably be a ongoing project for a while, Id appriciate any help you guys can give me.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
tdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to beholdtdpower is a splendid one to behold
The oil getting into the coolant was probably from the oil cooler. The turbo does not have any contact with antifreeze. Did the engine have low compression, smoking? I don't know about the rebuild.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Grant, I think he means oil getting into the intercooler.

I haven't done any rebuilding, but push rods, valve springs are some good things to improve internally. Tthe stage 2's will be single shots I'm assuming, you'll need some good tunes to run them. Might as well put on a 38R and update your intake assembly while everything is off. As well as bellowed up-pipes. If you want out cheaper a D66 is a good bolt on for e99's.

Check your pan and either clean it and paint it to prevent rusting out or get a new one.

Do you have an auto tranny? May be a good opportunity to replace TC since the engine is out.

Just thinking out loud. Others with more experience will chime in.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
DeereTech05
Junior User
Sorry, I meant aftercooler.......... no coolant involved. Yeah, compression is crap too especially #5 which has next to none.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DeereTech05 View Post
Sorry, I meant aftercooler.......... no coolant involved. Yeah, compression is crap too especially #5 which has next to none.
That's bad news right there. Your engine is dusted. Good luck on the rebuild. Hope your cylinder walls aren't scored by the contamination.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
jwhitetail is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If it was me i would over haul the whole motor, and if you are going to go with different inj, upgrade your HPOP.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM
DeereTech05
Junior User
Can I send off my HPOP to have it rebuilt and upgraded? Got any links to some places that will do that?

My truck is a standard, so Im going to replace the throwout bearing at the very least.

Im pretty much planning on having it bored anyway, hopefully the cylinder walls are not beyond what I can fix with that...

I think on the injectors I have a choice of single shots or single shot hybrids. Can somebody tell me the differance in those? Im planning on getting a tuner too when this is all done.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
brownie83 has a very good reputation on FTE.brownie83 has a very good reputation on FTE.brownie83 has a very good reputation on FTE.
you can have joey at terminator engineering(google them) rebuild your pump. took about a week and cost 100 bucks. just had mine done last month, runs great. good luck with the rebuild

Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Just goes to show exactly how critical clean air is to these engines....

Injectors: Singles are just that, single shot injectors which flow a bit more since some of the injection event isn't "wasted" on a pilot shot. You get about 15 more cc of fuel (160cc vs. ~145cc) just going to singles (usually called Stage 1). They also use a lot less oil, so a stock HPOP will provide plenty of oil. There are slightly modified singles that will get you slightly more fuel and/or larger nozzles depending on where you get them (Stage 2). Hybrids are singles (as you already said) with internals from a DT530 injector. They can inject 200cc & up (Stage 3). You will need some kind of turbo upgrade to to handle the extra fuel, and that is dependent on which injectors you get. Mine are too big for my van turbo, but I knew that going in. I got the van turbo first, and found a good deal on these hybrids after. It just means I have room to grow -- hybrids can be tuned down nicely to "behave" with smaller turbos, so you can go bigger with hybrids and have your tuning adjusted accordingly to your turbo/engine build level.

HPOP -- you can have it rebuilt by Joey at Terminator Engineering very reasonably, and he'll upgrade it some too. That's where I'd go, no doubt...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Izzy351 View Post
Just goes to show exactly how critical clean air is to these engines....

Injectors: Singles are just that, single shot injectors which flow a bit more since some of the injection event isn't "wasted" on a pilot shot. You get about 15 more cc of fuel (160cc vs. ~145cc) just going to singles (usually called Stage 1). They also use a lot less oil, so a stock HPOP will provide plenty of oil. There are slightly modified singles that will get you slightly more fuel and/or larger nozzles depending on where you get them (Stage 2). Hybrids are singles (as you already said) with internals from a DT530 injector. They can inject 200cc & up (Stage 3). You will need some kind of turbo upgrade to to handle the extra fuel, and that is dependent on which injectors you get. Mine are too big for my van turbo, but I knew that going in. I got the van turbo first, and found a good deal on these hybrids after. It just means I have room to grow -- hybrids can be tuned down nicely to "behave" with smaller turbos, so you can go bigger with hybrids and have your tuning adjusted accordingly to your turbo/engine build level.

HPOP -- you can have it rebuilt by Joey at Terminator Engineering very reasonably, and he'll upgrade it some too. That's where I'd go, no doubt...
Joe, your injector explanation is one of the best I've read. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
DeereTech05
Junior User
Thanks for that Joe. Im probably going to stick with stage 1 or stage 2 injectors, the hybrids that I was talking about are called stage 2.5, they have bigger stage 3s. May be a stupid question and Im not worried about it a lot but how about fuel economy with stage 1 or 2 injectors. I know it wont be worth a crap with a big tune, but can they be tuned down for long trips empty so they arent sucking down the fuel?

I will have to check into that HPOP rebuild, that sounds like a great deal.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Mike F250
Elder User
Mike F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mike F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll need help with this one but wanted to bring it up. The oil cooling ports or jets for the skirt of the pistons that some times fall out can be welded in place

Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
DeereTech05
Junior User
How are all you guys doing the CCV mod. I guess thats the crank case vent thats going into the intake pipe.... Just an open line to the air? What do you do with the port on the intake pipe where it is going into it?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru
farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.farmb0y has a great reputation on FTE.
Thanks for that Joe. Im probably going to stick with stage 1 or stage 2 injectors, the hybrids that I was talking about are called stage 2.5, they have bigger stage 3s. May be a stupid question and Im not worried about it a lot but how about fuel economy with stage 1 or 2 injectors. I know it wont be worth a crap with a big tune, but can they be tuned down for long trips empty so they arent sucking down the fuel?

I will have to check into that HPOP rebuild, that sounds like a great deal.
Fuel ecomony should also improve with single shot injectors. You can get more power, uses less oil, and better fuel ecomony with singles, only reason they went with split shot was emissions...

That's the beauty of custom tuning, you can have a tune written for whatever purpose you want. I have a couple of tow tunes: shifts later and not as much hp; DD & ecomony: little more hp, easier shifts, softer on the go pedal; and I have a performance tune: touchy go pedal, lot's of go fastness!

How are all you guys doing the CCV mod. I guess thats the crank case vent thats going into the intake pipe.... Just an open line to the air? What do you do with the port on the intake pipe where it is going into it?
I have a hose that drops to the the sway bar end link and dumps there. For the port on the intake tube, I found some rubber caps at an auto parts store that slide over the nipple that was there. I also took some RTV and filled the hold just to ensure it was sealed up.

On the HPOP, maybe do some shopping for a 17* pump at a junk yard. You'd have to talk more with Joey, but I don't know if there's much use in modding a 15*. I bought a junk yard 17* HPOP and it's holding up great with my stage 2's. I'm hoping to win the raffle at RRE for the modded one they are giving away...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
DeereTech05
Junior User
Well I got the engine ready to pull out at lunch today, hopefully it comes out half way smoothly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found the engine issue...... need some suggestions

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.