Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Suspension idea...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Suspension idea...

This may be an awesome idea, or the craziest/dumbest thing you ever heard... Here goes.

I'm wanting to design an air suspension for the rear based on that of a semi. I'll add some pictures in a bit.

What i'm wanting to do is use 2"x3"x1/4" wall tubing to come back from the front hanger and drop behind the axle, leaving room for the air bag. One side will also have a mount for the panhard bar.

The leveling valve will mount wherever is convenient. The air will be provided by my York compressor.

What do you all think of this? Where are the weak points, and what is overkill? Help me fine tune this please! (If it is feasible in the first place...)

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru

This shape of beam:

^This suspention setup is rated for 20k an axle...
So is this \/
But the bag mounted like this:

Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
2 link basically. its the same setup they have on the newer tahoe's except they use 4 links total. the biggest issue with that, is as the air bag goes up and down, it changes your pinion angle radically. thats why 4 links are used now. they used setups like that on pre 71 chevy pickups. coil over though. why not just build a 4 link? thats next on my list.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
I'm not sure i'm capable of building a 4 link... I was thinking if this system has worked for semis for millions of miles, it would work for me. And actually, the distance between the axle and the front hanger would be greater on my truck, so i think the angle would change less.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm going with a similar system on my F250, basically I am going to replicate the Chevy system with a few alterations- I am going to run arms forward to just behind the center support bearing, about 18" apart at that point, and back to the original perches in the rear, with airbags behind the axle. The panhard rod is the easy part, a pair of heim joints and a piece of tube. Make it close to the length you think you'll need, and then adjust it to be right at the proper ride height.
As far as airbags and the leveling valve, you can get that stuff at any truck dealership or online. Most dealerships have a Firestone catalog so you can select the exact airbags you need for your application. The leveling valves aren't cheap, but not too expensive either, $60-$100 typically.
You will need a swaybar as well, especially if you are towing.
Make sure you gusset the welds on the mounting tubes, there will be a lot of stress there and it would kind of suck to have it fail.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just remeber to bolt all the hardware to the frame, no welding. The steel has been treated and welding on it will change the hardness etc. Ever notice how the frames are rivoted not welded. This is due to the fact that rivots or bolts will handle the constant flew of the truck welding will not.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM
mabc926
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this website:

Road Tamer Air Suspension System by Air Lift

they make kits like what you're wanting, just not for our years, gives you some good ideas though if you wanted to make it, looks pretty straight forward.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I'm going with a similar system on my F250, basically I am going to replicate the Chevy system with a few alterations- I am going to run arms forward to just behind the center support bearing, about 18" apart at that point, and back to the original perches in the rear, with airbags behind the axle. The panhard rod is the easy part, a pair of heim joints and a piece of tube. Make it close to the length you think you'll need, and then adjust it to be right at the proper ride height.
As far as airbags and the leveling valve, you can get that stuff at any truck dealership or online. Most dealerships have a Firestone catalog so you can select the exact airbags you need for your application. The leveling valves aren't cheap, but not too expensive either, $60-$100 typically.
You will need a swaybar as well, especially if you are towing.
Make sure you gusset the welds on the mounting tubes, there will be a lot of stress there and it would kind of suck to have it fail.
Yep, I planned on making little triangle gussets. We have leveling valves laying around at work. I didn't think about the sway bar... I'll have to find something...
Another little trick i was going to add was a dump valve to make loading the bed easier.

Originally Posted by kenpobuck
Just remeber to bolt all the hardware to the frame, no welding. The steel has been treated and welding on it will change the hardness etc. Ever notice how the frames are rivoted not welded. This is due to the fact that rivots or bolts will handle the constant flew of the truck welding will not.
Planned on it. But thanks for mentioning it. I can't weld cast iron, but would it be ok to weld on the steel axle tubes? I don't think i'll need to, but just in case...

(The dumba** previous owner welded the rear bumper and a hitch to the frame. I'm going to have to grind it back down. I'm also going to make a custom hitch to bolt on the rear)
Originally Posted by mabc926
Check out this website:

Road Tamer Air Suspension System by Air Lift

they make kits like what you're wanting, just not for our years, gives you some good ideas though if you wanted to make it, looks pretty straight forward.
I've heard of that before. Expensive as anything... Even if they did offer them for our years, i want to build this.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Welding to the axle tubes would be fine. Just remember they are thicker than the metal you will be welding to them and you wil want to preheat them a little so you get good penetration and not over heat the thinner material.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
That really depends what i'm welding to it...

Question: Is 1/4 plate good for hangers and mounts? Overkill? Underkill?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
that should be good. Most of the lift kits etc. out there all brag on useing 3/16" for their hardware lol. Just make sure to gusset every thing to prevent side loading.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
djanzen
Elder User

you need to join PSN just for this project
The user me2 has done extensive research and testing on this.
Problem with air ride suspension... sort of... long - Powerstroke Nation this is the link to his thread there.
Good luck! have fun BE SAFE IN YOUR TESTING.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Thanks djanzen!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Otahyoni

Planned on it. But thanks for mentioning it. I can't weld cast iron, but would it be ok to weld on the steel axle tubes? I don't think i'll need to, but just in case...

(The dumba** previous owner welded the rear bumper and a hitch to the frame. I'm going to have to grind it back down. I'm also going to make a custom hitch to bolt on the rear).
also just a reminder even tho the axle tubes are thick, try not to lay full beads and get the tube too hot because even the smallest warp will over time, ruin the axle

Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Been reading that thread that djanzen posted, and i think i'm going to try and mimic me2's rear suspension. I just need to do a lot of reading about 4 links....

Quick Reply: Suspension idea...