1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they make a straight Gear Driven LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
JohnMcD348
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do they make a straight Gear Driven LSD?

SO I've been making a list, checking it twice in my planning to upgrade my Bronco. I'd like to get a LSD for the 8.8 rear end and was looking at a few. I'm not sure which one to get, I don't want a locker, I'll keep both wheels turning no matter what.

My thing is, I really like the AAM rear end I have in my Ram. It doesn't have all the clutches and other crap that I though most LSDs have that require additives and such. It's strictly gear driven and just requires regular differential fluid. So are there similar ones for the Ford 8.8 Rear end? Also, what's the consensus on doing the front also? I'm not a crawler or bogger but I may take a few steep inclines from time to time.

What say you all?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
mprice
Elder User
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
SO I've been making a list, checking it twice in my planning to upgrade my Bronco. I'd like to get a LSD for the 8.8 rear end and was looking at a few. I'm not sure which one to get, I don't want a locker, I'll keep both wheels turning no matter what.

My thing is, I really like the AAM rear end I have in my Ram. It doesn't have all the clutches and other crap that I though most LSDs have that require additives and such. It's strictly gear driven and just requires regular differential fluid. So are there similar ones for the Ford 8.8 Rear end? Also, what's the consensus on doing the front also? I'm not a crawler or bogger but I may take a few steep inclines from time to time.

What say you all?
That sounds like a torsen. Google comes up with a lot for "torsen ford 8.8".

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM
helirich
Posting Guru
I'm not sure I understand the statment "I dont want a locker, I'll keep both wheels turning no matter what" How will you do that with out a locker?

In any case, I've heard of people say "all gear L/S" but I dont understand how they would do that. I 'd like to see the insides of one of those. It may be that they are refuring to a L/S that doesnt have clutches to replace. You just replace the whole unit when it slips to much.

The front is a good place to put a locker since you can just unlock the wheels when you dont need it. (when you dont need the locker, you dont need four wheel drive)

Personally, I cant see installing L/S. I've had them and wished I had a locker. Ocasinally, the locker can be irratating, but I have never wished I didnt have it. Basiclly, if you dont have lockers in both ends, you dont have four wheel drive.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 977 Likes on 771 Posts
The Detroit Trutrac is an all gear true positraction differetial, it is available for the 8.8 and it's better suited to the front axle of a 4x4 than a regular LSD or locker.. puts power to the wheel with traction and doesn't make steering a chore.
Detroit Truetrac Differentials

In all honesty though you can get really good performance from the stock Ford Traclok LSD, all it takes is a restacking of the clutch packs to get alternating metal and friction disks instead of the factrory metal on metal arrangement, and possibly a shim or two to add preload to the spring. I did this to mine about 6yrs ago and it works far better than it did stock, it's essentially locked when TQ is applied regardless of traction conditions under each wheel, and when off the power it's smooth and seamless.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
JohnMcD348
Senior User
OK, thanks. I have open differentials now as they came stock. It's the factory 3.08 open Diff. I'm just trying to get my wish lists in order so that when the time comes and I start buying, I've already ahead of the game instead of trying to research and buy at the same time. I'll go with something more in line with the DTT unit and probably upgrade the R&P to a 3.5?-3.7? front and rear. For my needs, I'm really not certain that I need to go with a LSD in the front also but since I'd be changing gears anyway, I may as well do it. Better to have and not need than need and not have. I don't like the idea of lockers simply because to me, it's just one more part to fail. No matter how reliable it is, I've got to rely on either an air system or electrical system to engage or disengage. I'd just like them to be there and work when a tire starts to spin without me having to engage anything. My same thinking goes for the typical clutch pack type LSD, I just like the idea of a fully gear driven system. I'm just a shade tree mechanic but to me they just seem like they're a little more heavy duty than clutches. It just seems like more parts to break or fail. I could be wrong, I could be totally off on it. If I am please correct me, I won't take it personal. I know I still have alot to learn.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
It looks good, but they dont call it a limited slip. It's hard to see axactly how it works. I suspect it allows half a turn and then locks. That may be enough. Anyone have one of these care to comment?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 977 Likes on 771 Posts
The Detroit truetrack is a positive bias differential meaning it does exactly the opposite of an open or negative bias differential and sends TQ to the wheel with traction instead of the one without. It does not lock and does not drive both wheels equally unless traction on both is equal. A locker or limited slip diff in comparison can only send a maximum of 50% TQ to any single wheel.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i would just locate an 87+ 8.8 with the factory LS and 3.55 gears which is very common and rebuild the LS. easy to do and cheap.

I would then locate a 92 + TTB D44 center section with the 3.54 gears and swap that in place of your 3.08 center section. easy work, can be completed in a weekend and would be way cheaper then having someone do a gear change on your current setup.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
"A locker or limited slip diff in comparison can only send a maximum of 50% TQ to any single wheel."

Actually a locker will spin both wheels the same, but if one wheel is on glare ice, it takes practiclly no torque to spin it. So most of the torque goes to the other wheel. (could be 98%)

In the case of a limited slip, It is like a open diff that can make it's own torque on the slipping wheel and than matches it on the wheel with traction. But it can only make so much drag with clutches. (depending of the ware and bias)

This Trutrac looks like it allow just so much differnce in speed and then locks. I like it. I think if I had seen it before I would own two of them. Of course I'm building another truck. This looks like ticket.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:59 AM
JohnMcD348
Senior User
I know alot of guys in my Ram forums really prefer the DTT or the Auburn LSDs for their heavy trucks.