1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caps - mid rise and regular

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The slider portion does, but there is an option for the whole window to flip up like a tool box lid. That opens up the entire window opening to airflow, not just the half covered by the slider.
I wonder how useful that would be. You can't drive with it open, and you probably cannot reach anything through the window without a step ladder. You could open them while parked at a campsite, but then you could just leave the tail gate and hatch open too. Just offering those thoughts to consider.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,
I think he's referring to the front slider. Slider and flip front window. I'm on the look out for one for my XL100. Makes for cleaning the cab rear window easier.

The flip out full side windows,,, I thought pretty much the same thing when I saw them. Need a ladder to reach over. Seems kinda useless to me, but who knows, maybe there is a good use for them?
Maybe when open you can get the truck airborne.

BUY OUR FLIP OUT SIDE WINDOWS AND MAKE YOUR TRUCK FLY!

Rick...

Originally Posted by bpounds
I wonder how useful that would be. You can't drive with it open, and you probably cannot reach anything through the window without a step ladder. You could open them while parked at a campsite, but then you could just leave the tail gate and hatch open too. Just offering those thoughts to consider.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by _Rick_
Bill,
I think he's referring to the front slider. Slider and flip front window. I'm on the look out for one for my XL100. Makes for cleaning the cab rear window easier.
I took him to mean these:

But on another tangent, regarding the flip down front window, like I said I got it so I could clean the glass faces between the truck and cap. But one down side was that with the OEM tint on the truck back glass, plus the front window on the cap, plus the tint on the cap rear glass, visibility out the back at night was pretty poor. Not a problem for me because I routinely use only side mirrors anyway, but my wife didn't like driving that truck because of it. Wait, maybe that was an upside.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do want one of those windows (front slider with flip). At the moment I have a solid front and it's always a pita to clean the rear cab windows and the front cap window. I have an acceptable way to clean them, but it would be a nice option having the flip. I have a line on a new slider without flip, but I'm holding off hoping I'll find a slider/flip reasonably priced.

Those side flipouts do look like they would get you airborne or a convenient option for a Superduty ice cream truck.

Rick.

I took him to mean these
But on another tangent, regarding the flip down front window, like I said I got it so I could clean the glass faces between the truck and cap. But one down side was that with the OEM tint on the truck back glass, plus the front window on the cap, plus the tint on the cap rear glass, visibility out the back at night was pretty poor. Not a problem for me because I routinely use only side mirrors anyway, but my wife didn't like driving that truck because of it. Wait, maybe that was an upside.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Well Bill understood me correctly. I was referring to the side windows as 50/50 silders AND flip up. Though, I did make a comment about the removable front windows too. I don't know that a slider would serve much purpose for me there, but I will look in to it if I find a truck with a silder rear. The main purpose would be to clean between the windows.

I didn't think about the height of the side windows in terms of getting things out. Thats a big consideration. Though, for camping the ventilation would still be a plus.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another thought - the roof racks are removable aren't they? As in the base rails are built in to the cap and the rack attaches to the rails? Or are the rack mounts hard, or impossible, to get off?

The Yakimas that came on my Leer with the Browning package were easily removable, with the racks off you could hardly see the rails they fit in.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1975StroppeBaja - fantastic idea! That would be really nice to have a wiper and I do a lot of driving in the winter (I'm in Ohio afterall). I will look in to that as an option. That page you linked to on how you built it is great. Lots of good information in there. Are you an electrical engineer or other electronics type hobbyist/tech/professional? Fantastic write-up!
Thanks! Yeah, I'm an electrical engineer. I've had a good time with a few of the wiring type projects I've done on the truck so far.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Broughton
Junior User
Yakima tracks........

Great install on the wiper blade!
Regarding the Yakima tracks, they come in two lengths, 50" and 60".
As mentioned previously in this topic, for those of us that want to remove the bars or cargo basket, this is easily done by unclamping the towers to stow away when not in use. This helps with aerodynamics and fuel economy.
The install of these tracks requires drilling several holes then filling with silicone and a series of washers top and bottom. I was not able to get a good seal in the end which led to seepage with heavy rains.
The new topper that just came in now has a rubber seal that runs the length of the track. You can cut just the area where you intend to mount the towers and bars which in my opinion will help greatly in keeping the water out. Suggestion: Have them factory installed.
Also mentioned above regarding the rearview mirror visibilty with the combined tint of the rear glass on cab and the rear window on camper, this will decrease your visibility.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
PERFORMANCE RED
Laughing Gas
I took him to mean these:

I wish my truck had those windows. My dad had them on his f150 and it was great for getting thing that are right behind the cab. Some of you folks must be super short or have lifted trucks.