1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4X4 front hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 front hubs

Wondering if anyone has used these to replace worn out hubs?

FRONT 1999 - 2004 FORD F-250 SD HUB BEARING 4 ABS 4WD : eBay Motors (item 160446738067 end time Jul-18-10 14:54:47 PDT)

The price seems great. Don't plan on putting many miles on the truck and looking at options. If you don't used these, what brands have people had good luck with?
Thanks all.

Stephie
2001 F250 V-10 SC LB 6.8L 4X4

Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
I think that might be a misnamed part, or maybe I am all wet. When someone says front hubs, I think of something like a Warn hub.

That is the front hub carrier, or spindle bearing carrier, as pictured here with the dust shield.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The e-bay item is a wheel bearing and hub assy. as redford has clarified.
This doesn't match your post "title" and the item he shows is the best money can buy. Probably a bit more than the e-bay item but completely different.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
OK, I made a mistake. I believe my bearing/ hub assy is going out. I know they run from $250 ++ so this seems very low. I don't put a ton of miles on the truck so thinking of trying these low priced ones. Just checking to see if anyone else out there have tried them.
Sorry for the mistake in the title.
Stephie

Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stephie,

if you want the best for your truck, go with timken.

I, however, needed a wheel bearing and didn't have $250 so i bought the ebay brand similar to what you posted. It has worked perfectly for the last 5k miles... It looked like a good solid piece of hardware, i couldn't tell the difference between it and the ford part i removed (other than it wasn't warn out and rusty).

Good luck!

Just make sure you get the right one (fine/course threads)

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
Thanks Gunnerdog. A couple of questions for you then. Do you know the seller that you got yours from? What do I need to look at to tell if I have fine or course threads? The seller of the one I am looking at had this to say about his:
"it our brand.
we buy from factory,
same factory, as timken, BCA, national,
all have the same bearing, different names,
ours has a 1 year warranty
thanks mike"
If I planed on driving the truck more, I would go name brand but don't plan on it so at this time, I am thinking of getting a pair of his.
Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used these on my truck. In fact I only needed to replace the abs sensor on one side, and for cheaper than than one sensor I just replaced the whole bearing assembly. Even did both sides just for the heck of it, well really cuz the cheap price.
You should replace the rubber o rings/seals while your in there and will need to get the package of 4 studs to put the new assembly back on. You could probably take off the old ones, but again cheap parts, and better to go new. You can get the part #'s from guzzle's web site under needle bearing lube, http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/nblube.php, on top of directions to do the work. Your 01 should have the course studs, so you should be good there. They new bearing hubs come greased, but you may want to add more. I service my brakes, hubs 2 a yr, I know over kill but I do alot of water crossings to go fishin and while apart after a few months use the grease seemed to be running out, more from lesser quality than anything else, IMO.
I have close to a year now on them and no problems.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Phone_girl_NE
Freshman User
Thanks Waltz. That really helps. I need to do ball joints as well, but debating on waiting for another day for those pains.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well with the ball joints you have to take all the same stuff apart. The only things left really are the stub axle and the knuckle that the joints are on. Might be a hood time to do all at once so you don't have to take it all apart again when you change them, but up to you. Good luck either way.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Phone_girl_NE
OK, I made a mistake. I believe my bearing/ hub assy is going out. I know they run from $250 ++ so this seems very low. I don't put a ton of miles on the truck so thinking of trying these low priced ones. Just checking to see if anyone else out there have tried them.
Sorry for the mistake in the title.
Stephie
You didn't make a mistake. There are wheel hubs and locking hubs, and the terms are thrown around loosly because they are both hubs. (fault of whoever named them). I have heard no bad reports on those ebay hubs and notice the high feedback score he has. They used coarse threads on the 8 lug studs until about 2002. You won't need those new 4 hub studs that go through the knuckle unless you have trouble getting the wheel hub out and the new wheel hub doesn't come with them. Mine slid right out. Don't forget you can grease the hubs through the abs hole. (I did a write-up on it with pics.)

Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
X JBM X
Junior User
I need to do the wheel bearing on my truck too. Pissed because I just had a shop do the ball joints and they were idiots and didn't bother checking this.

So how do I figure out if I need coarse or fine threads?

EDIT: n00b to FTE, but on PSO and PSN, haven't updated my profile yet.

I've got a '99 F250 7.3L Diesel 4x4 with aftermarket Warn Manual Locking Hubs.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by X JBM X
I need to do the wheel bearing on my truck too. Pissed because I just had a shop do the ball joints and they were idiots and didn't bother checking this.

So how do I figure out if I need coarse or fine threads?

EDIT: n00b to FTE, but on PSO and PSN, haven't updated my profile yet.

I've got a '99 F250 7.3L Diesel 4x4 with aftermarket Warn Manual Locking Hubs.
99 through 02 takes the coarse threads on the 8 lug studs. Maybe to '03.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 AM
X JBM X
Junior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
99 through 02 takes the coarse threads on the 8 lug studs. Maybe to '03.
Ok. Thanks!

Now I just need to find one for my 02/99 production date, and figure out if I have 2w ABS or 4w ABS

Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I bought the Ebay unit bearings. They where made in china. The needle bearings failed in less that 10k and I greased them well upon install. Save your self the trouble and buy the real thing. A bad needle bearing can ruin the stub shaft very quickly

Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 PM
X JBM X
Junior User
So spend the extra $70 or so and get the Timken assembly?

Quick Reply: 4X4 front hubs