2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY NEED HELP FROM A TECH!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
kane gray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REALLY NEED HELP FROM A TECH!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, I could REALLY use a techs assistance right now, as I am in a bad situation with someones truck. Please help if you can!

Anyways, I have the IDS software and the VCM, all from Rotunda and legitimate. I was doing a favor for a buddy, and updating his 2007 F150 do the latest calibration file. In the middle of updating the new calibration, the computer shut off!! Now, the truck won't start, and simply cranks and cranks. I can still establish communication with the PCM, but every time I try reprograming it, it freezes right at the end of the download. What are my options? How do I rebuild the PCM as if it were new? Is the existing PCM screwed? Should I try the blank path programming? I have used my IDS and VCM on countless vehicles now, and have down many updates without any issues at all. Please PM me, or if you are willing to help over the phone I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 AM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to unhook the battery and leave it for a min then plug it back in, I think that should reset it.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 PM
kane gray
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
Try to unhook the battery and leave it for a min then plug it back in, I think that should reset it.
That didn't work, because I think the PCM is erased. However, I can still connect to the PCM with IDS, and it recognizes it. But every time I try and reprogram it, the progress bar stops at the end and loses communication with the VCM.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Any luck yet on this one? I know in some instances depending on how it freezes, techs have had to put PCM's in.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, haven't been online. If you still haven't resolved it you might have to take it to the dealership. I know that is a last resort thing but they might be able to re-flash the PCM.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
Sorry, haven't been online. If you still haven't resolved it you might have to take it to the dealership. I know that is a last resort thing but they might be able to re-flash the PCM.
If I gather what Kane is describing, there may not be anything there to reflash...
It sounds like he's trying to reload basic operation parameters and its simply not taking it correctly.

If its anything like the PCM & ECM I help to put in a friend's truck, most of all info gets "placed" on a NVram-style, multipin controller/chip-

Kane:
Wasn't there an option to re-flash or pgm in different modes? The prgm I have isn't the IDS/rotunda- but I believe it's similar... (National Instruments based iirc).
I have the option of updating cali. files and other parameters but I have Run/Test/Program/Stop modes- and depending on what I'm doing I have to select the appropriate mode.
Although, I do apologise... I have yet to execute my own Cali. updates.- So I can't directly help... only offer suggestions(?)....

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
kane gray
Senior User
Originally Posted by FTE Trigger
If I gather what Kane is describing, there may not be anything there to reflash...
It sounds like he's trying to reload basic operation parameters and its simply not taking it correctly.
Well it has been at the Ford dealer now for a few days. They are now trying to say that because it froze on me while I was reprogramming it, the PCM will not be covered under warranty This really sucks guys. I have learned my lesson big time with this! Don't mess with trucks that are still under warranty. They said that the PCM won't send power to the fuel pump. It sounds like they haven't even tried to enter the "as-built" data in order to try and reprogram it first, before deeming it dead. Wow this really sucks. I am not to sure what to do at this point, but I think the wallet might be taking a large hit in the near future.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 PM
EBTDM
Senior User
Do I understand you to say that the service center will not even try to reprogram the PCM to factory defaults even if you pick up the labor charge? That does suck!

I would call other centers and see if they would try the reprogram option first, before they throw an entire PCM at it. Just for their opinion and rough estimates. Then pick the lesser of the evils you are facing.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
God I wish I new more about the IDS for ya. I know for sure that there is a certain point during the programming that if the battery gets low on the IDS, or the truck, you run the risk of destroying the PCM. That is why anytime you do programing on one of these trucks, have the IDS plugged in, and have the truck on a battery charger. Basically from what I understand there is a certain point the IDS stores all of the data from the PCM, erases the PCM, and then rewrites it. Well if it freezes after it erases the PCM, when you go to reconnect it cant, because the PCM is blank. There was something I read about force programming though. My guess is if the dealership cant figure it out, it will probably need a new PCM.

Just have it towed into another dealership and say you went out to start it and it was dead. They'll figure it out and put a new PCM in it for ya!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM
kane gray
Senior User
Ok guys, I still really need help with this. The dealer still hasn't fixed anything! They said the new PCM is a month out! They claim it has to be built specifically for this VIN #. Which I know is a load of ****. My understanding, is that as long as the Part # is the same, any PCM will work. Is this correct? Do they really have to get a brand new one built specifically for this truck, or can I just order a used one and get it reprogrammed? Please help if you have any info. Thanks guys!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kane, do you think your software could have gotten corrupted when you coumputer shut off and that's why you can't finish the up-load? I like what Peter94 said, have it towed to another dealer and say nothing.