1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Banjo Nut installing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Banjo Nut installing?

So I pulled the Banjo nut (under the turbo) to replace the two shims in hopes of resolving a fuel leak. Now I can't get the nut started/threads to grab. I can barely get my fingers under the turbo base to align the nut and thread it at the same time is near impossible. I have been trying for about 3 hrs but no luck. Any ideas or suggestions? It looks like the turbo has to be pulled but not sure how to do that? I would obviously prefer not to pull the turbo but is that the only way? Grrr!

1995 7.3PSD.

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Mike Bartlett
So I pulled the Banjo nut (under the turbo) to replace the two shims in hopes of resolving a fuel leak. Now I can't get the nut started/threads to grab. I can barely get my fingers under the turbo base to align the nut and thread it at the same time is near impossible. I have been trying for about 3 hrs but no luck. Any ideas or suggestions? It looks like the turbo has to be pulled but not sure how to do that? I would obviously prefer not to pull the turbo but is that the only way? Grrr!

1995 7.3PSD.

Thanks

Mike
Maybe this link will help. plowhands notes may be useful in getting it in there.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...fuel-leak.html

Old 06-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I believe the threads on that nut are backwards correct?

Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
I dont think so; only the fuel bowl stand pipe has lefty threads.
The turbo makes it hard to align and press down a turn it at the same time.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First.. take a break. Your hands will work a lot better after you've relaxed a little.

Although I have a different turbo pedistal, you should be able to your hands in there without any problems. My fingers are pretty short and stubby and I little problems getting the bolt started. Make sure the part that has the fuel lines connected to it is matched up. If it's not... it won't thread in there. Hope that helps.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
Guys, thanks for the link, I just read through it, and the advice. I am burned out for today so I'll try again in the morning using some tips posted here. I can somewhat get my fingers under the turbo base and can turn the nut but have a hard time getting everything aligned, push in on the nut and turn it all at the same time.

I am leaving next Saturday for a trip to Vegas pulling a trailer. Gotta get this done as well as fix my AC, Flush coolant and replace the trans fluid. I thought this fuel leak would only take a few hrs, doh! I did replace all the fuel pump hoses as well. It appeared the leak was dripping from the banjo bolt when I had it running.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Talking

Originally Posted by FARM69
First.. take a break. Your hands will work a lot better after you've relaxed a little.
Thats a excellent idea I think I will do that myself

Although I have a different turbo pedistal, you should be able to your hands in there without any problems. My fingers are pretty short and stubby and I little problems getting the bolt started. Make sure the part that has the fuel lines connected to it is matched up. If it's not... it won't thread in there. Hope that helps.
Guys, thanks for the link, I just read through it, and the advice. I am burned out for today so I'll try again in the morning using some tips posted here. I can somewhat get my fingers under the turbo base and can turn the nut but have a hard time getting everything aligned, push in on the nut and turn it all at the same time.

I am leaving next Saturday for a trip to Vegas pulling a trailer. Gotta get this done as well as fix my AC, Flush coolant and replace the trans fluid. I thought this fuel leak would only take a few hrs, doh! I did replace all the fuel pump hoses as well. It appeared the leak was dripping from the banjo bolt when I had it running.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike
Farm69 is right a lot of the times it takes setting it to the side and come back later

I think I will even take his advice, right now.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
You read my mind. Just showered and ready for some hops, maybe, damn with as frustrated as I am this may be a Matini night, ah what the hell I'll start with a beer and go from there

Thanks guys,

Mike

Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike! I'm in San Ramon if you need a third hand or second set of eyes. I also have the AE scanning software if you ever need it scanned.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the offer I may take you up on that. I am heading over to Livermore Ford in the morning to pickup two new metal washer/gaskets that go on each side of the banjo nut, i tweaked one today, I should get started again arounf 9am or so? I'll let you and everyone else know how I do on getting this bugger on. My wife is worried now since I commited to driving our truck and pulling this trailer, not mine, down to Vegas next Saturday.

Thanks...

Mike

Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
BTW...If/when I get this back together do I need to bleed the air out of the fuel system? I have obviously replaced the fuel pump hoses/etc so will she start right up or???

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fill the bowl about half way with some Redline diesel fuel conditioner (Napa on Stanley) before you install the filter. That will get you started. There isn't really any way (that I'm aware of) to purge the air prior to starting. It will take a little time for all the air to purge. A good run or two on the freeway should do it. Did you get my e mail?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
Well I just can't seem to get this banjo nut started/installed into the rear of the pump. The hard fuel lines that the banjo nut goes through seems to be bent a bit downward which causes the bolt to go into the rear of the pump crooked. I just can't get anything in that small space to tweak that hard line upward and at the same time thread the bolt into place.

Guess its time to tow it to the dealer

Mike

Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Well I just can't seem to get this banjo nut started/installed into the rear of the pump. The hard fuel lines that the banjo nut goes through seems to be bent a bit downward which causes the bolt to go into the rear of the pump crooked. I just can't get anything in that small space to tweak that hard line upward and at the same time thread the bolt into place.

Guess its time to tow it to the dealer

Mike
Loosen up the small lines where they connect to the head, this might give you enough wiggle room to get the banjo bolt started. My 2 cents

Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Mike Bartlett
Mountain Pass
I thought about that briefly but those are about as hidden as the banjo bolt under the turbo. I'll look again and see if I can get to them? My thought was I would loosen those then never get them back on like this damn banjo nut. I guess I'm getting gun shy?

Mike

Quick Reply: Banjo Nut installing?