Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Veggi oil as an addative?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 AM
derek0525
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Veggi oil as an addative?

Ok this might be a dumb question but can you use store bought veggi oil as an addative kinda like the 2 stroke oil? I know some biodiesel has veggi oil in it but was just currious if adding the veggi oil to the tank would benefit anything or would it clog stuff up? Is there a certain type of veggie oil to use how many ounces per gallon?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:40 AM
bockhold
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
store bought? that just adds cost. your better off with a full veggie convert. V3 is a good brand.

if i ever get enough money, ill do a convert.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Vo is my fuel. Doing it right requires research time, aquisition of equipment, vehicle conversion, cleaning set-up, etc... See my signature.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM
kirkharrod
Elder User
Originally Posted by derek0525
Ok this might be a dumb question but can you use store bought veggi oil as an addative kinda like the 2 stroke oil? I know some biodiesel has veggi oil in it but was just currious if adding the veggi oil to the tank would benefit anything or would it clog stuff up? Is there a certain type of veggie oil to use how many ounces per gallon?
No, don't do that. The veggie oil will not mix with the diesel, it will sit in the bottom of your fuel tank. Then when you are low on fuel, you will be starting the engine on cold vegetable oil.

That is not good.
If you want to use an "additive", just stick with Diesel Kleen.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
derek0525
More Turbo
Originally Posted by kirkharrod
No, don't do that. The veggie oil will not mix with the diesel, it will sit in the bottom of your fuel tank. Then when you are low on fuel, you will be starting the engine on cold vegetable oil.

That is not good.
If you want to use an "additive", just stick with Diesel Kleen.
Kinda what I thought but wasn't sure thanks for the info.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
GetSmoke
Junior User
Originally Posted by kirkharrod
Not exactly true.
Veg oil WILL "blend" with Diesel, but you have to BLEND it... or in other words mix it VERY well. Try it with a small bottle of warm WVO and some diesel. Shake the ***** out of it and watch it blend right together.

I've been running single tank, WVO/Diesel/additives for over a year now. I just change the ratio when it gets cold.

My 7.3 LOVES it!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Are there any worries about any glycerins that need be separated, or is that just with waste frying vegetable oil?

Pop

Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 AM
GetSmoke
Junior User
Glycerine is the biproduct of producing BioDiesel.
Biggest blending concern is if you live in the cold country, but I know Canadians and Alaskans blending when in the Tundra.
I was a Biodieseler for YEARS until I started researching/experimenting with blending.
Now I'm a blender for LIFE.

I switched because:
A)BioD takes too much time
B)Sold my commercial site so can't have methanol delivered
C)Large accumulation of glycerin to dispose of
D)Tired of the KOH burns on my skin.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I LOVE to do is tell those Prius drivers I drive a Hybrid too and when they look at my F-350 CC Long bed, there facial expecsoins is priceless and start in on the anti diesel thing

anyway I have clocked 75k miles on VO and would NOT mix it in my diesel tank. VO viscosity is thicker than diesel so you have to heat it for it to flow good and to avoid coking the cylinders. I have a homebrew/V1 kit.

you are taxing your stock pump to pumping the thicker oil. it dont mix well as mentioned above.
although people do it. I know a guy does a Jeep Liberty and only mixes.

I would suggest a separate system so you can turn one off if the ohter done work. like if you run out of oil or something goes wrong with the VO side you flip a switch and your back to stock form if you have a good system.

bio is to much chemistry for me. converting my truck wasn't hard with the help I had and put on a TON of miles and saved a few bucks.

jusy my .02 worth

Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
GetSmoke
Junior User
Originally Posted by MTDewX
One thing I LOVE to do is tell those Prius drivers I drive a Hybrid too and when they look at my F-350 CC Long bed, there facial expecsoins is priceless and start in on the anti diesel thing

I cranked by Tuner to Extreme one day and SMOKED a Smart Car.
I was feeling ornery that day.

anyway I have clocked 75k miles on VO and would NOT mix it in my diesel tank. VO viscosity is thicker than diesel so you have to heat it for it to flow good and to avoid coking the cylinders. I have a homebrew/V1 kit.
That's what all the guys SELLING the kits LOVE to say.
Honestly the research/testimonies/ experimentation has shown over and over that the viscocity of WVO can be reduced by blending.
Yes, heat is effective at lowering the viscocity as well, but it is not the ONLY way to do it.
BurnVeg.com Forums :: View topic - Viscosity testing of VO & blends=

you are taxing your stock pump to pumping the thicker oil. it dont mix well as mentioned above.
although people do it. I know a guy does a Jeep Liberty and only mixes.
As long as the viscocity is lowered your pump will LOVE the extra lubricity.
VO is the answer to this new Low Sulfur fuel they are killing our engines with.

I'm telling you guys...grab an empty bottle mix an 80/20 solution of WVO/Diesel shake it up and see how well it mixes.
Just make sure there is NO water present, and it's warm. At freezing temps you need to adjust the ratio.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM
derek0525
More Turbo
But prety much you cant just pour some vegi oil in before you fill up right? Kinda like you do with any other addative.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by derek0525
But prety much you cant just pour some vegi oil in before you fill up right? Kinda like you do with any other addative.
Actually, with these trucks you can just pour it in. These are tough trucks.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 AM
bobbyrjw
Senior User
You should use the Alternative fuels forum on this site to continue your research.

That forum is full of the information that you are looking for. You will have to decide if the information is good or bad.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GetSmoke
That's what all the guys SELLING the kits LOVE to say.
Honestly the research/testimonies/ experimentation has shown over and over that the viscocity of WVO can be reduced by blending.
Yes, heat is effective at lowering the viscocity as well, but it is not the ONLY way to do it.
BurnVeg.com Forums :: View topic - Viscosity testing of VO & blends=
Viscosity is a common misconception as to why veggie oil should be heated.

If you want to run veggie oil correctly and do it for a long time, it must be heated. Think of the difference in flash points between veggie oil and diesel fuel, and you'll understand why veggie oil needs to be preheated.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
GetSmoke
Junior User
Keyword here is BLENDING.
BLENDING of WasteVegOil will change ALL physical characteristics of the entire blend.
Viscocity, flash point, density, autoignition point, cetane, etc.

Yes...if you are going to dump straight VegOil in your tank, you better be heating it, but to say the only "correct" way to run VO is to heat it is just not true. If you get to know some of the guys running BLENDS you will find they have clocked over 100K miles with IMPROVED engine performance.

Quick Reply: Veggi oil as an addative?