Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEF usage

Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
asphaltman
Junior User
asphaltman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats cool... I dont recall seeing anything in the mail from Ford, but I may have to look harder... Heck if it means a cool card and free DEF, Im in.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User
roadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by radzer0 View Post
Err my bad.. ford thing.. textin and driving lol
Do you know if it can be used at any dealership....I recieved one from the dealership I bought my truck, but it's 400 miles away from me.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM
radzer0
Elder User
radzer0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im not 100% sure yet on the oil change. But i know the DEF is a coupon that doesnt have a dealer name on it.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Rutcutter
Posting Guru
Rutcutter has a good reputation on FTE.Rutcutter has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by roadkingfl View Post
Do you know if it can be used at any dealership....I recieved one from the dealership I bought my truck, but it's 400 miles away from me.

Yes you can get your DEF tank filled free the 1st time at any dealer..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User
roadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to allroadkingfl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Rutcutter View Post
Yes you can get your DEF tank filled free the 1st time at any dealer..
Cool...thanks for the help....

Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 PM
dakotaboy
Junior User
dakotaboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bought 2 1/2 gallons of DEF for $11.99 at Flying J truck stop.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
FORDTUF1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does anybody know if there's a bypass/mod to quit using DEF? I know that soon there's gotta be, but I'm really thinking about buying the 6.7 tonight, but it's going to add several hundred bucks a year to my fuel bill.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM
$Simpleman76
Senior User
$Simpleman76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am also wondering on the def delete, I am really interested in the 6.7 but with the skyrocketing cost of maintenance, I think I am goin to wait and see what happens, all the components in the urea system ford has installed kind of scares me, surely someone will come up with an idea, also I hear the urea is extremely corrosive and I would hate to get a leak and rot my chassis out from under my nice new truck, I am just going to see what happens, I sure hope these trucks are the best ever made, it sure seems to be going that way, they are some of the best looking trucks I have seen since the 56 f100

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM
HawgGuy
New User
HawgGuy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by $Simpleman76 View Post
also I hear the urea is extremely corrosive and I would hate to get a leak and rot my chassis out from under my nice new truck
From what I can tell, urea is fairly benign stuff. I think DEF is only one third urea, the rest deionized water.

-snip-
Urea serves an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-containing compounds by animals and is the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals. Being solid, colourless, odorless (although the ammonia which it gives off in the presence of water, including water vapor in the air, has a strong odor), neither acidic nor alkaline, highly soluble in water, and relatively non-toxic, urea is widely used in fertilizers as a convenient source of nitrogen.
-snip-

Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
dakotaboy
Junior User
dakotaboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was told by my salesman that if you get DEF on the paint it will possible damage the paint. Said Ford recommends getting it topped off by a Ford dealership. Of course I will do it myself, just be careful

Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
radzer0
Elder User
radzer0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Def jugs come with a special pour spout inside the containers from what ive seen to help this one out.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
I did the math for the Dodge guys over at RVnet. Kinda hurt their feelings, they thought I was calling them stupid... At 7500 miles a refill and $3 a gallon at Pilot it comes to a whopping 3 cents a gallon added to your fuel costs. After driving mine for 2500 miles, I think it may be more like 4 or 5. Thats a lot of nickels to make even a hundred dollars.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rickatic View Post
I did the math for the Dodge guys over at RVnet. Kinda hurt their feelings, they thought I was calling them stupid... At 7500 miles a refill and $3 a gallon at Pilot it comes to a whopping 3 cents a gallon added to your fuel costs. After driving mine for 2500 miles, I think it may be more like 4 or 5. Thats a lot of nickels to make even a hundred dollars.
Yeah, I've been reading the thread over there too. It's kind of strange how the Dodge fanboys hold on to the belief that DEF is expensive. It seems like no matter how much information you provide, they will not believe the truth. "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up!" If you go to the Dodge forums, half of the conversations involving Ford or Chev are mocking DEF and how cool their passive Nox catalysts are. I can only imagine all the weeping and wailing that will happen when Dodge announces that they are incorporating DEF in their exhaust.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I have talked over the 6.7 and maybe getting one with our business folks, seems to us that at 5 gallons for 5000 towing miles would approx. make a 1 cent/mile cost. Cost of tires if you assume 50,000 miles and $1500 for 4 tires is about 33 cents/mile.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Dudes... Let's take a closer look at the math. $1,500 worth of tires that go 50,000 miles = 3 cents per mile. DEF that costs $3/gallon and takes 5 gallons over 5000 miles = one third of a cent per mile. So... Tires = 3 cents per mile and DEF = 3 miles per penny.

Another way of looking at it is tires cost 10 times as much per mile than DEF, or, DEF is one tenth the cost of tires...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEF usage

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: