Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A/C blows cold!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 AM
rustyculley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C blows cold!

Long time no post, but I finally got my A/C to blow snowballs!! After looking at all suggested fixes for wimpy airflow and luke warm air, I went exploring and found my evap core was clogged almost completely closed. Went under the hood and removed the blower fan, used a mirror to look into the evap housing and was amazed that I had any airflow at all. Grain dust and crud had mixed with the moisture on the core and made a nice goo that I washed off with a garden hose (nozzle inserted into the evap housing). Now I can run the A/C on low and still get chills even though we are running in the high 90's and high humidity! Check it out if your A/C is not performing as it should. It was an easy fix to a frustrating problem for me.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM
derek0525
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats the evaporator core I tried the shim thing with my A/C still sucks. Anyway you can get a picture?

Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Dirtfarmer69
Junior User
How would you compare the blower to before and after? I've never been happy with the amount of force the blower puts out on my truck. Seems kind of wimpy compared to my 15-year old Honda.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the tip Rusty. That's exactly the kind of info we need on this forum, shared experiences. Reps to you.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Sounds like I'm gona have a job this weekend. Was it straight forward to do?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HH60FE
Sounds like I'm gona have a job this weekend. Was it straight forward to do?

picutres would help

Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Reps sent. The problem with my 02 was self imposed in a way I guess. It never cooled as I thought it should. I bought one of those "do it yourself" freon bottles with a gauge for the low side. I added freon till I got it reading up in the high side of normal. Then I installed a shut-off valve in one of the heater hoses. That helped a little, but never was quite right in my mind. Took it to a garage owned by a good friend, and he hooked up a set of gauges, and was getting a real high reading on the high side. It was 90 plus degrees yesterday, and the air was coming out reading 72 degrees in the A/C ducts. After bleeding the excess freon out of the system, got it down to 55 degrees.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
mine blows 50* on normal a/c while driving but goes to 60* at idle. on max a/c it blows close to 40* while driving and goes to 50* at idle.

I have a new condenser, and have the gap on the clutch adjusted. it doesn't blow real hard (or as hard as i think it should) so maybe this might help my issue. not real sure how to go about doing it from the description tho.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
SilverBullet131313
Senior User
Have you guys tried the dieselsite product ( can't think of the name off the top of my head) that makes your max ac blow colder? I just installed this thing a week or so ago and it makes a HUGE difference. My a/c always blew kinda cold, but to keep the cab as cool as i wanted i found myself having to run it on max ac and full blast all the time. After installing this thing i can get the cab ice cold and turn the fan down to level one or 2 and it easily maintains the cab where i want it. Much colder coming out of the vents. Worth every penny and very easy to install and is only liek 40 bucks or something. Trust me it works and as i said this is coming from a a/c that was working pretty good too already.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like the OP just pulled the fan/blower motor and washed the evaporator core to cure his problem.

The fan is located n the passenger side of the firewall, 3 or 4 screws to pull it out and take a look at the evaporator core, if it is obstructed clean it out.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
After bleeding the excess freon out of the system, got it down to 55 degrees.
Yup. Refrigeration systems are one of those cases where "more is NOT better".

Only "right" is right.

Pop

Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by bama29fan
it doesn't blow real hard (or as hard as i think it should) so maybe this might help my issue.
and
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer69
How would you compare the blower to before and after? I've never been happy with the amount of force the blower puts out on my truck. Seems kind of wimpy compared to my 15-year old Honda.
Is the amount of air blowing the same in "MAX A/C" mode as it is in "A/C"?

There's a common fix if it doesn't blow as hard in MAX.

Pop

Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 PM
rustyculley
Senior User
Sorry for the delay guys. The volume of air coming thru the vents has been wimpy on this truck since I bought it (used of course), but I just have not been in the mood for exploratory surgery until now. After washing out the evap core, it will blow in your face and make you cold! And keep in mind, the air temps here this week have been in the high 90's with high humidity. The only digital camera I have is my droid phone, but I can take pics if somebody can tell me how to get 'em on here. The process is easy. You do have to take the little vacuum pump bracket part way off to get the fan out, but after that its all cake. Get a mirror and a flash light and look at the evap core. I had to get a spray nozzle that was rather slender to get at the whole thing, but it was not hard at all. Now I have COLD air and lots of it!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
and

Is the amount of air blowing the same in "MAX A/C" mode as it is in "A/C"?

There's a common fix if it doesn't blow as hard in MAX.

Pop
it blows harder on max than it does on normal....but still doesn't seem that hard.....blows less than any other vehicle i've owned. so im guessing the common fix you are referring to wont work here?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

The fix for LESS air in MAX mode is to reach up under the instrument panel and remove the plastic baggie that got sucked up into the air inlet off the passenger's floor.

But you're right, it probably isn't the solution this time.....

Pop

Quick Reply: A/C blows cold!