1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Considering a drastic change...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I talk to my truck but it's the silent type

Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carnut122
So, will it be Grabber Blue?
I don't know yet, I really like the "Eleanor" colors, but if I go with the Boss edition, i'll probably go authentic as possible and choose between some actual Boss color options. Grabber Blue would be pretty cool though.

I need to sit down and draw it out, because there are some crazy ideas to try and play with. For instance, the Boss mustangs had a flat black rear end in between the tailights, I wonder what a flat black or partially flat black tailgate would look like? Also, I assume the Boss hood and side stripes will look awesome, but I don't know, seeing as how i've never seen it before. I'll get to drawing and post some up...

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Your plan is a good one. The 302 is a great engine, and you know what you need to do to make that work. The 5 speed will be a little more difficult. You asked for the pros and cons; here they are. You will have to fabricate some kind of clutch linkage, either cable, hydraulic, or custom created mechanical, then have it work in conjunction with the steering box and exhaust. The stock setup is a totally different design from what is used in more modern applications. If you can get past that, you'll have a lot of fun. That's the biggest reason most of us opt for the slushbox. It's a heck of a lot easier to make work.
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I like all your ideas except the 5 speed tranny. I think an AOD would be a better choice. I get the ******* just thinking about trying to fabricate that clutch linkage...
My '90 was a hydralic setup that Ford replaced at one time and from then on it never quite worked right, they tried a few times, but it wasn't like stock again, but we got used to it and I kind of liked it the way it was.

It'll be a chore for sure, but that'll just help it be even cooler in the end, right?
The manual trans is a make or break for me on this new direction, I have to drive an auto in my Cummins (tried to teach my wife to drive manual for two summers, made no progress) and I won't do it in this truck too, I can't stand auto's, too boring, I feel like i'm one step away from a fully automated car with no steering wheel or pedals.

Originally Posted by OK F1
When I looked at your post, it seemed like it was something I could have written. I have been contemplating a similar plan, but I haven't pulled the trigger because of a fear of wasting money because I haven't fully "finalized" a plan.

I have no interest in driving an underpowered, creature comfort-lacking 1948 F-1. My dream is to put a Gen 2 (5.4L SC) Lightning Motor in a 48-50 and make an F-1 Lightning. I'm getting hung up because my plan is to put it on a new TCI Chassis which costs about $9k. I originally thought about buying a truck and doing what I could until I could afford a chassis.

Ultimately I would have wasted $2k-$3k or so by buying the truck, then basically "throwing away" the chassis and drivetrain I paid good money for.

Appparently God smiles on the gutless (careful), because my patience has resulted in finding the "perfect" drivetrain at a reasonable price. I've also found nearly a full body (less chassis and drivetrain - perfect right?), also at a reasonable price. Had I not had such a specific plan of what I wanted to do, I probably would have jumped at the first "nice" truck I found and been forced to work with what I had rather than what I wanted.

I say all that only to say this: You know in your head what you want, now do only those things that will result in that becoming reality. Anything else is a waste of time, money, effort, and energy.

Good luck, and maybe someday we'll pull up next to each other at a stop light! (Well, let's not get ahead ahead of ourselves).
I thought of a lightning too, or you could go Shelby, or any number of directions, they'd all be pretty sweet. I'll see you at that light sometime!

Originally Posted by 56panelford
I talk to my truck but it's the silent type
Did you check the ground wire? It might not be making good contact...

Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
willymakeit
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running a 302 with the ZF 4 spd. [will add over/under later] Mech. clutch linkage was not that hard to do.I did replace the parts that pivot in straight line with heim joints from our local farm supply. Everything is smooth. This setup was ran prev. for 15 years with no prolems. Most of it is orginal linkage with new mounting.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM
52 F3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I get the ******* just thinking about trying to fabricate that clutch linkage...
The 5 speed should be set up with a slave for a hydraulic clutch.
It should be fairly painless to mount a clutch master and work it from the original pedal.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
[quote; Did you check the ground wire? It might not be making good contact... [/quote]

Lol, there's no wires at the moment, their all neatly wrapped up in the box EZwire shipped them in. Someday it will start talking I'm sure,lol

Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmn, made some sketches of the Boss edition idea (looks like they were drawn by an 8yr old) and i'm not as crazy about the boss stripe as I thought, it's pretty cool, but might not be for a daily driver.

I already love the Eleanor colors and I wanted to try and get the exhaust pipe coming out the side of the running board, also like Eleanor. I might really consider the Shelby edition over the Boss, dunno, i'll keep working on it.

Here's my 8yr old scribbling...