6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ran fine yesterday,,, no start today

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
EatBeef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran fine yesterday,,, no start today

04 6.0L
Yesterday when starting the truck it started and died immediately. Figured I just let off the starter to quick, cause it started and ran fine afterwards. I drove to work and at lunch, made a few stops, went home after work, never had a problem. Today I go out to leave and it won't start. Turns over fine, I unplugged the ICP, still no start. I kept it turning over for awhile and got raw fuel out the exhaust, so I quess my FICM is good, and if I'm getting fuel out the exhaust does that mean my filters (I do change them regularly) are good along with the injectors? I've read the "no start" in the tech folder, but would like a most probable place to start. Thanks for the help.

Edit:
My son borrowed a code reader from a parts store. It only showed the ICP code, which went away after plugging the ICP back in.
I have been looking at new trucks and let the fuel run down until the "low fuel" light came on before filling up. This was a couple days ago.

Last edited by EatBeef; 06-17-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
utjer
Elder User
I believe that fuel coming out of the exhaust is a sign of bad o-rings on the injectors. This can be caused by a low fuel situation. I am just going off of memory. Someone else should chime in soon for you.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by utjer
I believe that fuel coming out of the exhaust is a sign of bad o-rings on the injectors. This can be caused by a low fuel situation. I am just going off of memory. Someone else should chime in soon for you.
bad injector orings will result in loss of engine oil and really good fuel milage, or a hydrolocked cyclinder when it fills with fuel, or a runaway engine when it deluts the oil and over fills the crankcase.

now on to the op. raw fuel in the exhaust could be a failed ficm, check voltage per tech folder or do a search lots of threads here.

raw fuel in the pipe would mean you more then likly have 500+ psi of icp wich is good.

also check fuel pressure.
any codes?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
EatBeef
Senior User
No codes. I drained the water seperator to see if I had a water problem. Looked good but did have some junk in it so I went ahead and replaced both filters. I get fuel to the upper filter with no problem. I read in the tech folder that if you get a raw fuel smell out the exhaust and no start that it was most likely not the FICM. I'll go back and reread but If this is incorrect please let me know.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ya if thats in the tech folder its wrong. I did not right the folder, also as sad as it may be I dont think ive ever looked in it.
if you have ficm issue it can cause the spool valve to hang and dump fuel. so its very possible.
also its a very easy test. there is a cover plate that has to screws holding it on. remove screws you will find four screw under it. do not remove them. you place the red lead on one of the screws and the black to battery negitive. while cranking the engine you should see either 12v or something close to 48v. test all four screws, 2 will be the 12v 2 should be 48v. i just dont remember wich is wich as far as placement.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 PM
EatBeef
Senior User
This is what is in the tech folder under FICM testing procedure

6.0’s, FICM’s and cold-start issues.

If your 6.0 will not start cold, the issue may be injectors, the glow plugs or glow plug controller, or it can be the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module). If after a long cranking with no start you get a lot of white smoke (raw unburnt fuel) out the exhaust, the problem is probably in the injectors or glow plug system. If you do not get any smoke, the problem is probably in the FICM. It is usually accompanied w/ multiple injector codes and a p0611 code.

I don't have any codes so maybe I read to much into the above statement. I run the FICM test and see what I find.

Thanks for the support.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:21 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ya I see were thats a little off. the thing here is the ficm controlls the injectors. as a matter of fact when the dc/dc converter voltage drops in to the 30v range its common to see smoke from fuel in the pipe.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
EatBeef
Senior User
Cheezit you're the man! The FICM tested out at 32v while cranking. Pulled it and followed the resolder instructions in the Tech Folder, reinstalled and it started right up.
I think the info in the tech folder I referenced earlier is misleading,,,, I don't know maybe it's just me, but who should I contact to have them take a look and see if they want to modify it?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by EatBeef
Cheezit you're the man! The FICM tested out at 32v while cranking. Pulled it and followed the resolder instructions in the Tech Folder, reinstalled and it started right up.
I think the info in the tech folder I referenced earlier is misleading,,,, I don't know maybe it's just me, but who should I contact to have them take a look and see if they want to modify it?
Maxium 4x4 is the moderator for this particular forum. If it needs modified it will have to be an administrator or a moderator to do it and MY suggestion is that a TECH read and rewrite any misleading information or diagnostics. We all discuss things and want the information to be as accurate as possible. I can always prompt Max if need be.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by EatBeef
Cheezit you're the man!

I know

now really, Im always glad to help.