1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Fuel Pump Vs Carb

Old 06-12-2010, 07:38 PM
mrsimmons
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Vs Carb

In the continuing saga of my 65 F100: Still working on getting it started - treated fuel after draining old gas - replaced fuel filter (clearly it needed it - looks like I sucked up some garbage) - SPRAYED that carb down with cleaner in and out; ordered rebuild kit just in case. Here's the new sympton and perhaps solution: I DID test the engine driven fuel pump by disconnecting at the carb, cranking engine and collecting fuel in jar -- figured that told me the pump was working .... BUT I noticved when trying to crank it tonight the new fuel filter didn't have any fuel in it - got suspicious and re-disconnected the fuel line and tested pump and it did NOT spit fuel into my jar this time. Coutl THAT be the problem? Should that filter have fuel in it?

Thought? ideas? next step?

Thanks!

Michael
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 06-12-2010, 10:35 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you tested the pump initially w/o a filter in it after removing the old one and you got gas to carb and then with new filter no gas at carb...there should be some fuel getting to the pump at the very least. I would again try to check for fuel at carb w/o a filter in there...see if you get fuel thru pump...if so, you may have pulled more crud from the tank and has replugged the new filter...to avoid that scenario, undo the fuel line under the cab below the tank...right before the line goes into the cab. Undo the line from the tank at the fuel pump and blow backwards towards the tank...have some kind of glass jar to catch what comes out...might just have a ton of crap in the line...This would also be a good time to replace the short rubber hose between the frame metal fuel line and the one to the tank itself. Also at this time...blow backwards into the tank...take cap off first...easier to hear if you get bubbling...which you should.
Reconnect everything and with new rubber hoses at lower cab and @ fuel pump from the frame line that should all be good...try cranking again w/o a filter and see what you get ...if you get fuel..put filter in...making sure new one is nice and clean...if its icky, toss it out...
Also, when screwing the can on, make certain the rubber gasket seats up properly..screw slowly and watch as its squeezed towards the body of the pump. If you get another new filter and no fuel pump action through it the fuel pump may be bad...I went through this scenario on mine...2 times...first was a bad pump...also, if you have a manual tank selector switch by the seat make sure its not shutting fuel off to the carb...the blow back test will check that for you.

If you need anything else, holler...also, make sure you get the right fuel pump...theres 2 types...a sealed type which cannot be serviced and one where theres lots of small screws holding the 2 parts together which also secures the diaphram as well...Carquest stores do have the sealed unit type as thats the type i have...for some reason its a harder one to find...no luck at NAPA...

- cs65

Last edited by camperspecial65; 06-12-2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: deleted info