1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!

OK I started another thread the other day about the problems doing the brakes with that missing ring. The reason for this new thread is I need more help and Quick. My options are looking like I need a whole new front end and that's just not gonna happen......

So here it is:

I have a 1994 Ford F-250 7.3 Turbo Diesel (k) vin
4 Spd Auto Trany
Auto Locking Hubs
Dana 50

I need the ring that goes on after the Axle locknut, it's almost a full circle but instead of being complete it is like a snap ring. But instead of little loops at the ends like a snap ring it bend 90 degrees and goes out 1/2 inch.

When I pulled everything apart there was only half of this ring in there and it was all mangled up. There were no metal shavings so when I brought it to ford to buy a new ring the parts guy said thats its either the after market ring which only gives you a half ring or it was repaired at a ford dealership, which they said that they take one ring out of the NOW discontinued hub kit and cut it in half to save themselves money.

They also do not have the ring, no longer sold. I've tried 1000 places!

So my dad decided to put the new brakes on and put everything back together, so tomorrow I'll go over to his house and we're gonna take it for a test drive to see what happens. For this reason:

1) ford can't tell us what the part does
2) Ford can't give me the part
3) When he put everything back together he said he can't see a place for it and there is NO room for anything else in there.

So this is what I'm hoping to get from you guys:

Where can I get this Ring?

Where Does it go?

What Does it Do?

Got Pictures of where it goes? (if you take your auto locking/manual locking hub assembly off it "should" according the my Haynes manual be right there)

I sure hope my wheel don't unscrew itself!

Thank you in advanced!

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't get it anywhere solo. Maybe if you look in salvage yards. I ended up having to get a new locking hub assembly which came with one. It goes around the spindle in such a way that the semi circle part fits flush inside the spindle nut and the 90* bend fits in a cutout in the spindle nut threads. It slides up into that cutout and since it is not threaded it keeps the spindle nut from backing off once torqued down tight. I'll be taking the manual locking hubs off of my parts truck soon. I think they are different but if that part happens to be in there then I can send it to you. I have some pictures that may help. Standby for upload...

Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by redman84
You can't get it anywhere solo. Maybe if you look in salvage yards. I ended up having to get a new locking hub assembly which came with one. It goes around the spindle in such a way that the semi circle part fits flush inside the spindle nut and the 90* bend fits in a cutout in the spindle nut threads. It slides up into that cutout and since it is not threaded it keeps the spindle nut from backing off once torqued down tight. I'll be taking the manual locking hubs off of my parts truck soon. I think they are different but if that part happens to be in there then I can send it to you. I have some pictures that may help. Standby for upload...

thank you i look forward to seeing the pics. I have tried all the junk yards no luck.

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Don't know what to tell ya. I would've said junkyard.

What part of NC you in?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:20 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Don't know what to tell ya. I would've said junkyard.

What part of NC you in?

Charlotte

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Well, I'm obviously too stupid to upload pictures to a thread but click the link and you should see something familiar.
Wheel Bearings - a set on Flickr

The last three pictures should be of the most interest to you. The 3rd and 2nd to last are the ring you are talking about which you already know what it looks like. In the very last picture you will see the spindle off of the truck and sitting on the ground facing upright. Make sure and click the link above the picture that says "all sizes" so you can see it enlarged.

If you look closely at about the 4'oclock position of the threaded end of the spindle you will see the groove that runs a couple inches back toward the mounting surface through the threads. When on the truck it should be at the top and once reassembled to just after the nut being torqued back down that stupid little semi-ring with the bend goes right there. Put the bend in there carefully(the lock nut may need to be tightened or backed off ever so slightly for it to fit as there are grooves in the threads of the nut) then work the rest of the ring into place until it sits nice and flush in the gap between the spindle and nut.

Hope that helps...

Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by redman84
Well, I'm obviously too stupid to upload pictures to a thread but click the link and you should see something familiar.
Wheel Bearings - a set on Flickr

The last three pictures should be of the most interest to you. The 3rd and 2nd to last are the ring you are talking about which you already know what it looks like. In the very last picture you will see the spindle off of the truck and sitting on the ground facing upright. Make sure and click the link above the picture that says "all sizes" so you can see it enlarged.

If you look closely at about the 4'oclock position of the threaded end of the spindle you will see the groove that runs a couple inches back toward the mounting surface through the threads. When on the truck it should be at the top and once reassembled to just after the nut being torqued back down that stupid little semi-ring with the bend goes right there. Put the bend in there carefully(the lock nut may need to be tightened or backed off ever so slightly for it to fit as there are grooves in the threads of the nut) then work the rest of the ring into place until it sits nice and flush in the gap between the spindle and nut.

Hope that helps...

yes that helps greatly everyone keeps telling me it shouldn't be a half ring like that but it must be.

Thanks again!

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by American-Trucker
yes that helps greatly everyone keeps telling me it shouldn't be a half ring like that but it must be.

Thanks again!

American Trucker
It is. The one in the pictures is broken but the brand new one I got looked exactly the same.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Looking at this with my knowledge of hubs.

I would say that the part your looking for is the outer snap ring to hold the hub assembly in place.
This part looks like the tab locks into the lock out to help keep it in place.
Should be just a bit longer than half a circle as well to help keep it in place, but with the tab, it keeps it from poping out.

As you can see in the pictures, his failed, and the tab broke.

I'll send numbersdummy here into the thread, and he will get you your part number.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
I have a 1995 ford f-350 pick-up four-wheel driv... - JustAnswer

you have to register, which i didn't, but this page might have the pictures of the stuff you are looking for to add some insight to whats going on.

And i sent numbersdummy the link.

He is the parts master.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by Talyn
I have a 1995 ford f-350 pick-up four-wheel driv... - JustAnswer

you have to register, which i didn't, but this page might have the pictures of the stuff you are looking for to add some insight to whats going on.

And i sent numbersdummy the link.

He is the parts master.
thanks, I just tried the link and had to pay $9 to use it....I hope it works lol

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Wasn't that part number I gave you in the other thread the right one?? It's the one I used and got kit from edthepartsguy.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:28 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Wasn't that part number I gave you in the other thread the right one?? It's the one I used and got kit from edthepartsguy.

nope I went to the Dealership and gave them that number and he handed me a little bag with 3 washers in it.

American Trucker

Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Aww. I woudln't have paid for the free info man.

I had no idea if it was right or not.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:56 PM
American-Trucker
New User
Originally Posted by Talyn
Aww. I woudln't have paid for the free info man.

I had no idea if it was right or not.

What info?

the way that site works is you ask a question and pay either $9,$15,$30 and certified Ford mechanic answers your question and if your satisfied they get the money if not you get it back. When I asked my question it said there were 16 Verified Certified Ford Mechanics on line viewing questions, and I still haven't gotten an answer.

If it gets me the info I need it will be worth the $9. Because If I cant find this part It's gonna cost me $900-$1500 to fix this problem and thats with me doing all the labor, thats just for the parts lol

American Trucker

Quick Reply: HELP!