1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Our First Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:29 PM
PapaJoes52
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our First Project

Hey everyone. My brother, Darrin, and I just rolled our Grandpa Joe's 52 F1 off of the trailer which Darrin hauled from Saskatchewan to here, in Vancouver, BC. I've been searching the web for advice on our first resto project and every question I punch into google leads me here so I joined up and have read as much as I can. I've read jniolon's articles for newbies but would love to get anyone's take on their best tip or two for brand newbies. Anything like "looking back I would have done this first" or "i should have paid more attention to this" is going to be priceless and forever appreciated. I look forward to posting pictures ASAP so you all can see what we're up against. (Even with my limited resto knowledge |I can tell our new Effie is in pretty damn good shape and she even ran long enough for us to get her onto the trailer!) Talk to you all soon! Joe

Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome to the site, Joe.

If it ran on to the trailer you are further ahead then probably half of us on this forum, most of ours are in some process of reconstruction.

It has been advised on here many times that if it fits with your plans you might want to get the old girl running and drive her around before tearing her to pieces because once you do that, its many, many months (read years) and lots of dollars before she will see the road again.

I think that every person that would do something different might not be 100 percent sure that the other choice would be all that better, other then, of course, the guys that keep their straight axles (duck and dive) rather then go with IFS. (That should start a fight).

Oh, Effie’s are the fat broads with the big hips built in 53 to 56, (fat fender) your beautiful truck (51-52) is quite rudely referred to as needing some dental work, and the 48-50 are a direct relation of the ape (monkey face).

Maybe work your year and model into your signature and your location code so that we can come over and drink your beer.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, welcome PapaJoe's. This is the greatest place for BS on the net. (well, it's in the running anyway) It's also the greatest place I've ever found for real, honest to goodness help. From wiring, to brakes, to part numbers FTE's become a dang think tank. Which is good, 'cause I'm not that smart, so I can come here and get answers.

So far as starting out goes: I'm really glad I drove my truck for several months before tearing her down. I did a tranny upgrade and a clutch replacement, and some wiring rehab while I was driving her around (and only after I'd looked over the brake system to make sure it was okay). That really helped give me a feel for the truck and what I wanted it to be.

Perhaps the danger in that though, is that once she was torn apart I couldn't stop working on her. I wanted to get her back together and out on the road so bad that I rushed a few things. If I had it to do all over I'd pay more attention to fit and little body details. But, I was building a driver, that's what I wanted, that's what I got. (I did not change out the front suspension, and I have no real problems with it, though I'm planning a Jag IFS upgrade for the purpose of power steering and disc brakes.)

Good luck!
James

Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome ^_^

Pictures. A good digital camera can be one of the most valuable tools in a build on something like this. If you take a picture of something how it was, in detail, before you start changing things, it can be a REAL life savor to know what it looked like when it "worked right" if you come across a problem. Things like bolt positions, to wiring, to anything, you can't see it again if you change it and often the question you need answered is something of how whatever works specifically on your project. That's information you can't find. These trucks are pretty simple, but often to just be able to see how it was exactly can keep you from getting a massive head ache if something doesn't quite work like it use to. And the nice thing about digital pictures is you can check them right then and there, for instance if you're trying to look into a place that's hard to, like the dash wiring, pop the camera up there and snap a picture, then you can view that with ease. Plus you can go overboard and take far more pictures than you ever think you'll ever need and just delete them once you past the point of ever needing them again. Often the questions I have are ones on things I never thought I would, like a headliner bow or something...

Also, orginatization of parts. If you mark every bolt and bag it, keeping them together (seat bolts, door bolts, ect) it will let you know exactly what came from where and where it goes. You might remember for a month, but when it's suddenly two years later..? It just makes life tremedously easier if you have everything marked accuratly. It's going to make you feel like you have OCD or something when you do it, but it will really help out later on.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello Joe and Darrin! Welcome to FTE.

Hmmmm, to do it all over again what would I do differently?

Four things:

First, I would sit down and plan out what I wanted out of the truck - farm hauler, daily driver, got to sunday brunch, or haul to car shows and never drive. Turn the truck into what YOU want it to be - NOT what other people tell you you must do with it. Statements like "you HAVE TO put disc brakes on your truck or you will die" are foolish opinions not based in fact that need to be scrutinized carefully! Plan upgrades based on your uses, opinions and needs. And if you just don't know, come here and start a thread on it - then decide.

Second after doing the first, I would set some goals to achieve the end product I had decided apon. I would come here and search the archives for the particular change out or installation I was planning and take advantage of all the fixes and lessons learned documented here. It's all right here - and may times over.

Third, I'd flow a parts list. What you need to get where you are going, and where to get it. If they don't make the parts you need or if they are prohibitivly expensive, pehaps a change in goals is warranted.

And lastly, I would buy parts with more patience. During my first project, there was no internet, but because of that you could go out to a junk yard and find a lot of parts on the dead elephant carcasses out there. If your area was all spent, you'd drive to the next town. Now that we have e-bay and the like, as soon as truck gets relegated to parts status it is parted out and gone. So today, parts are much easier to find. Don't get on e-bay, jump on the first "one of those" you see, and get into one of those bidding wars on a $20 part and pay $100 for it because you think you will never find it again. I did that alot when I started this latest truck, and I also bought a few expensive sub systems (like a Mustang II type front end, and a flathead engine) that I ended up not being able to use because all the junk I wanted to install wouldn't intermix with the room that I had. I bought before I knew the criteria. Luckily I didn't loose too much money in the process.

And that's about it - make a plan and work to the plan!

Also, I'd visit this site daily. Chances are something you want to do is being talked about everyday.

Buy a Shop Manual and a Chassis Parts Catalogue, and an Operators Manual.

Visit peoples User Pages (just click on their user name) and see their pictures and galleries. I have over 500 pages of spec sheets, parts photo's, electrical drawings, and exploded assembly drawings you won't find anywhere else.

Ask me anything any time via thread or e-mail. I have links to multiple discussions and everything I have talked about here today.

Most of all - HAVE FUN!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
08kingranchAZ
Freshman User
good luck with it all

Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Oh, yeah...I shoulda mentioned that. Get in good with Julie. She's ...well...she's one on the brain trust. Send her cookies if you have to...it'll pay off.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome !!! There is alot of knowledgeable people on here that can help you with your build .Some of us are partial to the '51 & '52 years and know the truck inside and out . Do not be afraid to ask any question however trivial it may seem .Also remember that rust & hard to remove fasteners on these old 60 yr. old trucks is part of the deal .Another thing 1 modification will usually create 2 more .Have fun , take pics & keep us updated .Later , Denny

Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joe! You've already got a lot of great advice, so there's not much more for me to add. You are much more fortunate than most of us in that your truck is in some sort of running condition. That's a great platform to build on, but even so, formulate a plan on what you want your truck to do for you and head that direction. But most of all, have fun!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 PM
PapaJoes52
Freshman User
Wow. Thanks for the instant insight everyone! I've posted a bevvy of pics in an album in our user profile and can't wait to hear the good, bad, and ugly truths about what lay ahead for us. A couple questions I have right out the gate are: 1 & 2. What manuals (parts, rebuild, etc) are a must and where can we procure them? 3. Our relatives remember her being 2 tone back in the day. (White cab, hood, and teeth on black fenders, running boards, and box) She was painted yellow to match the equipment of a relatives earth moving operation but that color is chipping away to reveal the 2 tones underneath. I've read that the ford autos had an option to be sungate ivory / raven black but was this a stock color combination on the trucks? 4 & 5. How can we / can we even determine the original interior colors based on the pictures I've uploaded and is there any point in keeping the bigger pieces of headliner / cabliner we've removed thus far? I have a feeling we'll be looking to you all a bunch and it's no secret that "Our First Project" will be a project of ALL of ours... Darrin + Joe

Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
For manuals, the factory service manual is top of the list. They're available in reprint on ebay or from any of the "mail-order" vendors that sell restoration parts for our trucks. They're about $35. You're looking for the one that's for 49-51 F series trucks with the '52 suppliment. It has a red cover. Another handy item is the Ford Truck Chassis parts catalog. That's the one the guys in the Ford dealer's parts department used to find replacement parts. It has a lot of useful information and exploded views.

It's my understanding that many of the Canadian trucks were two-toned, with a coloured body and black fenders and running boards. There should be a tag on the inside of the glove box door, or since yours is a Canadian truck, possibly on the firewall in the engine compartment with a paint code. Look for that and let us know what it says.

Interior colours were pretty basic. Your choices were black, grey or tan. New panels are available in reproduction. But I would advise never to throw away anything until you're all finished. Inevitibly the one thing you think you'll never need, or don't know you need, is the one thing that will keep you from finishing your truck.

Next question...;-)

Last edited by 52 Merc; 06-11-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Talking about Canadian trucks, had to spell colour with a u.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Blue50F-1
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
For manuals, the factory service manual is top of the list. They're available in reprint on ebay or from any of the "mail-order" vendors that sell restoration parts for our trucks. They're about $35. You're looking for the one that's for 49-51 F series trucks with the '52 suppliment. It has a red cover. Another handy item is the Ford Truck Chassis parts catalog. That's the one the guys in the Ford dealer's parts department used to find replacement parts. It has a lot of useful information and exploded views.

It's my understanding that many of the Canadian trucks were two-toned, with a coloured body and black fenders and running boards. There should be a tag on the inside of the glove box door, or since yours is a Canadian truck, possibly on the firewall in the engine compartment with a paint code. Look for that and let us know what it says.

Interior colors were pretty basic. Your choices were black, grey or tan. New panels are available in reproduction. But I would advise never to throw away anything until you're all finished. Inevitibly the one thing you think you'll never need, or don't know you need, is the one thing that will keep you from finishing your truck.

Next question...;-)
Ditto to all of that.

*Note: On the interior panels. If they're holding together treat them gently and store them some place safe. They're invaluable as templates if you decide you want any kind of custom interior. A lot of guys make panels from PVC sheets. They can customize them to fit speakers, amps, cubby holes, whatever they want, but the originals serve as the base template. If you don't have to buy them you'll save a little dough.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here are some of the pictures.

You have a very nice, solid and complete truck. It's not a 1952. It's a 1951. It may be titled as a 1952 because it was sold in 1952. It's also a 5 Star Extra Cab truck. Your truck has more options than a standard cab truck. Some of these options include a stainless steel trim around the windshield, additional hood molding spears, two-tone upholstery, dome light, locking dispatch box, interior door trim panels, armrests, Magic Air fresh air heater, chrome glass division bars, chrome vent window frames, stainless steel door handles escatcheons, and a few other options that I'm forgetting.

Look under the right front fender to see if there's a tube running underneath it. That's the fresh air tube for the heater.

This is what a 1952 looks like (same as the truck). This Panel is a standard cab. Not the different hood moldings (front and side), and the letters FORD are in the upper grille panel.

Good luck with your project. Looks like a great start.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Ilya - those are some interesting pictures - especially the data plates.

Know what else is interesting? The factory installed signal lights - the second set of lights on the front and back fenders and yet no right tail light! Very original condition!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
That is an awesome truck! If you were gonna make a cruiser or street rod with "Patina" that would be a great candidate

Quick Reply: Our First Project