Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Broken glow plug tip while INSTALLING new GP's

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No... The only way you can push it would be in without removing the head.

If you put the piston to top dead center, the tip cannot get out of the precup and into the cylinder, thus it could be pushed into the precup and vacuumed out through the injector hole using compressed air through the GP hole agitates the tip so the vacuum can suck it up.

I have never done that, but it's been accomplished several times.

As stated before, I would just run it, it'll come out sooner or later, when it does you'll know, pull over and stick the new one in.

If you don't want a dent in your hood I do suggest rigging up something safe to stop it from hitting the hood.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Vacationtime247
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd try using brake parts cleaner. Should desolve the carbon good.

If you were able to put an easy out on the end of the GP, then heat around the area with a torch (yes, be VERY careful), then twist it loose?

Would it be worse to push the GP through then get it? Know pulling the head is the last option and I'm sure that is definetly NOT what you want to do.

Pull the injector out and bring the affected piston to TDC. Fill the prechamber and cylinder with brake parts cleaner. Blast each fill out with an air blow gun. Hopefully carbon and gunk would come out. Eventually to the point of allowing the GP to come free. Of course, do not run the engine while trying this.

Just some ideas. Not sure if their good ones, but again, pulling the head would SUCK!
VT247

Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Yeah I really do not want to pull the head. I am going to try soaking it in brake cleaner then take if for a drive like festus recommended. I REALLY hope I dont have to resort to pulling the head. But if I do I guess it is time for a stud kit and the turbo system I have in my parts pickup...

Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Vacationtime247
Junior User
A dental pick might be used to scrape away some of the inside carbon with the injector out.
VT247

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by Vacationtime247
If you were able to put an easy out on the end of the GP, then heat around the area with a torch (yes, be VERY careful), then twist it loose?
No, the walls of the tip are so thin an easy out will just expand it and make the situation worse.

Pull the injector out and bring the affected piston to TDC. Fill the prechamber and cylinder with brake parts cleaner.
No don't fill it with Brake Cleaner, it'll just run into the oil pan.
Just spray a bit every few minutes into/onto the tip through the GP hole, enough to keep it wet.

Originally Posted by Thomsen
Yeah I really do not want to pull the head. I am going to try soaking it in brake cleaner then take if for a drive like festus recommended. I REALLY hope I dont have to resort to pulling the head. But if I do I guess it is time for a stud kit and the turbo system I have in my parts pickup...
I like your thoughts ... That means you'll pull both heads, I am totally against pulling one head.

Put that Turbo on, That'll increase the cylinder pressures.
(No never mind, see my ending note)

A dental pick might be used to scrape away some of the inside carbon with the injector out.
VT247
You can't get anywhere near the GP through the Injector hole with a pick (well maybe near it, but not enough to do any good), besides the carbon thats causing it to stick is in the tip bore, not in the precup.

BTW Thomsen: If this works, I'll send you a bill, that Turbo should cover it just fine...

-Enjoy

Old 06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
No, the walls of the tip are so thin an easy out will just expand it and make the situation worse.

No don't fill it with Brake Cleaner, it'll just run into the oil pan.
Just spray a bit every few minutes into/onto the tip through the GP hole, enough to keep it wet.

I like your thoughts ... That means you'll pull both heads, I am totally against pulling one head.

Put that Turbo on, That'll increase the cylinder pressures.
(No never mind, see my ending note)

You can't get anywhere near the GP through the Injector hole with a pick (well maybe near it, but not enough to do any good), besides the carbon thats causing it to stick is in the tip bore, not in the precup.

BTW Thomsen: If this works, I'll send you a bill, that Turbo should cover it just fine...

-Enjoy

LOL...fair enough I guess.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
You do realize I'm joking about the bill I hope??

-Enjoy

Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 PM
cornking
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through a similar problem. 2 of my glow plugs broke when my mechanic tried to take them out. I ended up having to pull the head and replacing it. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
I just thought I would update this thread. I have been driving the truck all summer. I pretty much wrote it off that I would need to pull the heads this winter. The other day I jumped in my truck and turned the engine over, I hear a loud BANG, then woosh, woosh, woosh. I instantly knew what happened and I could not have been happier. Sure enough I look and the broken tip had finally pushed itself out. So 6000 miles and over a year later it came out. So moral of the story is that yes, it will eventually come out if you break a glow plug tip off while INSTALLING new glowplugs. I am sooooo happy that I dont have to pull the heads on this engine this winter!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
glow plug installation tips;

glow plug torque is only 12 ft-lbs. (if no torque wrench is available.use a 1/4 inch drive and spin the gp in freely until it bottoms.if it doesn't bottom with ease,clean the hole first.very lightly and gently put a small,small,small amount of force on this little ratchet.odd's are you'll still over tighten them lol.)

smother them good with anti seize first.

only use motorcraft gp's (which are made by Beru in Germany.) ANY other glow plug can and will swell and become stuck in the head upon removal.Cheaper priced glow plugs,are very often much more expensive glow plugs,should you need to remove a head to remove a broken tip,and that's if it didn't find it's way down to the piston first.