1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
shad44
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad wheel bearing?

Hi all, I have an 01 Ranger 4x4 that recently started to make a loud speed dependent noise from the drivers side front wheel, a quick jab to the right on the steering wheel and it stops, straiten out and it comes back...since I know my shocks are worn and have some cupping on the front tires my first thought was tire noise so I moved the back tire which is evenly worn to the front and no change, next I removed the tire and checked everything visually, all seems ok, the brake does not seem to be dragging and there is no evidence of a cv problem, everything seems tight, so I'm guessing the problem is a bad wheel bearing? If I grab the tire at 12 and 6 there seems to be excessive movement from top to bottom, there should be none right? If memory serves any movement is indicative of bad wheel bearings? I guess I'm looking for some vindication before I shell out $250 for a new hub, any thoughts?

Thanks and Cheers (btw, love this forum its helped me on more than one occasion with both my Ranger and an old 87 shortbox)

Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your ball joints too. They shouldn't cause the noise that you are describing but the movement that you found sounds like a bad ball joint.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:55 PM
shad44
New User
Ball joints seem okay, I'm leaning towards wheel bearings...so I'm off to the parts store for a new hub.

Just my luck...3 parts stores in town and no one has the hub
NAPA can have it by Tuesday for $142 so now I wait...

Old 06-05-2010, 11:12 PM
bazzman1953
Elder User
Others are more up to date than I am, but aren't wheel bearings separate from the hub? Having replaced mine in the last 2 years I know mine are.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
shad44
New User
01 and up Rangers have a sealed hub, which is actually kinda nice...makes the replacement easy.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM
chirotayranger
New User
Hi Can any one show where I can get verification for my 99 ranger 4x4 having a sealed hub verses a replacable bearings. One of you said 01 on up and my napa man said 99 is included.??????

Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
chirotayranger
New User
I am in a remote location with a 99 and the napa man says it is a sealed hub $310, he can order it. I kinda want to know for sure if it is 99 and above or 01 and above. Or you may refer me to some place I could verify.
Thanks

Old 06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 service manual indicates that the wheel hub and bearing is not serviceable. The bearing preload cannot be readjusted. If the bearing retaining nut on the wheel hub and bearing is removed the wheel hub and bearing must be installed new.

2001 only indicates wheel hub removal. Wheel hub retaining nut torques to 162 lb-ft or 220Nm.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
WOW - $250 - $310 for a worn out wheel bearing??!!
I sure am glad that I can replace the wheel bearings in my '94 for less than $30.... BarnieTrk

Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
shad44
New User
Picked up the new hub from NAPA and got started about 2:00, was test driving it by 3:30...good as new!
Was worried about pulling the hub but it came right off no problems, at first I was a little upset about the cost of a sealed hub but now after seeing first hand how easy the replacement is I think I'd rather have it this way it's loads easier than having to pack bearings and fit seals ect.

Thanks all for the help

Cheers

Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
the_bob
New User
How involved?

I'm just wondering how involved this process is. I've looked at a couple of manuals, but they detail a bunch of steps including replacing the thrust washer, needle bearing, etc. These things are listed both in the Hayes manual and the manual in this post.

If this is a sealed unit, I would think it should just involve popping off the hub lock, removing the shaft retainer ring, and unbolting/removing the unit.

So, can shad44 or anybody else help me out with this? Does the replacement sealed hub assembly include all needed stuff (o-rings, etc.) and just have to be bolted back in place or is there much more involved?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM
shad44
New User
Originally Posted by the_bob
I'm just wondering how involved this process is. I've looked at a couple of manuals, but they detail a bunch of steps including replacing the thrust washer, needle bearing, etc. These things are listed both in the Hayes manual and the manual in this post.

If this is a sealed unit, I would think it should just involve popping off the hub lock, removing the shaft retainer ring, and unbolting/removing the unit.

So, can shad44 or anybody else help me out with this? Does the replacement sealed hub assembly include all needed stuff (o-rings, etc.) and just have to be bolted back in place or is there much more involved?
If your Ranger has the live front end IE: the parts are always turning, its a snap as described in my post, if your truck has the PV hubs then its a whole lotta trouble, (requires some specials tools) I'm not sure on the years but I believe that anything after 01 has the live hubs.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM
the_bob
New User
Thanks!

Yeah, mine's a '99. If things go as they typically do, I'm sure it's the more difficult of the two possibilities. Sounds like this might be one for the mechanic. I'm pretty good at fixing most basic stuff, but if it gets too crazy, I'm usually better off paying someone and skipping the frustration.

Let me know if anyone has any other thoughts.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 AM
the_bob
New User
OK, maybe I can pull this one off. The Range Station had an article (TRS Magazine - 98-00 Ranger Hub/Bearing Assembly Replacement) that looks like it details everything I need for this bugger. That certainly looks within the realm of my capabilities, and much less complicated than the manuals led me to believe. Now, to order the parts...

Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
photocliff
New User
Just replaced them on my 96 4x4. I was road testing it in less than an hour.
All for about 25. small ones {:=)~

Quick Reply: Bad wheel bearing?