1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new switch box done, what do you all think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my new switch box done, what do you all think?

A lot of you guys have been asking me about the Duckfoot pod that I have been working on. Well, here is the update. I finished the plug to my duckfoot switch box... well, almost. This coming week I will be casting a mold, then working on modifying it for the version 2 that will also house two gauges. I am not 100% pleased with the mounting of the switches, and have decided to mod it again to recess the switches into the housing somewhat. Hope you all like!

After a lot of work getting the shape just right, I was able to add the vinyl grain pattern.

Everything test fit fine.

So I went ahead and cut the switch pattern out.

And here is the final product.

Mounted to an F-650 dash.

And mocked up.

After demolding, I will be able to make the first production run, assemble the fasteners and stick one in my truck. My next project will be a dash pod on top of the dash to house my GPS, rear back up camera, and TPMS. Already started on that.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM
superdutyduck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good, but do you "REALLY" need all of those switches? just kidding.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:21 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Like I said, I am not perfectly pleased with the fitment of the switches, so building a frenched in opening with a panel for the switches will allow a few things. First off, I will be able to align the switches securely and perfectly for a more professional appearance. Second, it will allow me to make interchangable plates, thus allowing any number of switches (up to five) or even different style switches. Lastly, it will give the switches a nice clean look, and will eliminate the "glow" that can be seen at the top of Carling switches that is not very noticable, but bugs me.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:22 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by superdutyduck
looks good, but do you "REALLY" need all of those switches? just kidding.
Lol, thanks. Actually, I was trying to figure out what to do with three of them. Still dunno yet.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!! Tried to rep you but I can't, yet. I expect a bunch of reps coming your way on this one.

A few questions...

First, what did you end up with for a mounting scheme?

Second, do you plan to sell it with a solid front face? I'd like to buy one to have a better mount for my CB. But, I don't need anymore Carlings and I don't need any more gauges. I might could put a Scangauge II in there but not anytime soon. Having no cutouts would be my preference.

Third, please let us know as soon as you get a ball park on pricing

Fourth, will you provide them in various colors (I would need gray) or will we just need to paint them?

Finally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few teaser shots of your next project

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Thanks Jason! Actually, the faceplate gives me some options. Not only can I produce them with the faceplate to be mounted behind the "cuff" which will allow a frenched look, but will also be able to be mounted to the front instead if the customer chooses. A blank faceplate bolted to the front should give you just about limitless possibilities as far as to what can be mounted to it. That being said, yes, they will be available with a blank faceplate.
As for the mounting, I am going to use a set of clips that will snap into place for a totally bolt free installation. These clips will install where the OEM holes are, so no need to drill into the dash pieces.
Price on these should run around $50-$60 each, possibly less if I can get a large order together. I will have an option where they will arrive painted to match, probably around $12 or so to cover the cost of the paint only.

Thanks again for the props, my friend! I will post up some pics of the other project here in a few days, once I make some more headway on it. Right now it is just a small piece of balsa with cutouts in it.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
TennesseeMustangPerf Great job!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Very cool. Looks good.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Rugby3
Elder User
Awesome job it looks very professional. I am sure when you're ready for production you won't have any problems selling them. I will be interested.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
That is outstanding!! Great work!

Not to hijack your thread, but this is the first I've seen of that dash area. Is the F650 dash section a "drop-in" fit for our 250/350s?

Or, does it fit over the "panty hook" area of the F250/350s?

I love it!

Thanks again,
TX

Old 05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rugby3
I am sure when you're ready for production you won't have any problems selling them.
x2 on that. There are so many threads asking "what's that hook for?" and it seems like in every one of those threads someone asks if there's something we can buy to make that spot more useful. Looks like this is it.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Thanks for the comments guys!
TxHillCountry,
Nope, the 650 lower dash bolts right into place. No modifications at all. The F-650 dash also has the little hook, so this will fit all 250-750s of our interior style. Basically, it is the exact same as the 250-550 dash, only has the bulge out for the Allison transmission selector hole.

Thank you again for the compliments! Can't wait to get the mold cast and have some first runs done.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That looks awesome, I'll rep you if I can, and you can put me inline for the mount with the 2 guage option.

I'll help build up that bulk order to keep the cost down.

Sarge

I made a mistake, I deducted from your rep. whaat a bone head I am ...sorry My big ole fingers do some wierd stuff on this lap top. I'll make it up to ya.

Now I can rep ya. I have to spread the love. Is there anyway a MOD can fix my stupidity. Mustang I am really sorry about that.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Thanks for the comments guys!
TxHillCountry,
Nope, the 650 lower dash bolts right into place. No modifications at all. The F-650 dash also has the little hook, so this will fit all 250-750s of our interior style. Basically, it is the exact same as the 250-550 dash, only has the bulge out for the Allison transmission selector hole.

Thank you again for the compliments! Can't wait to get the mold cast and have some first runs done.
Thanks! I've been planning on installing a set of Firestone bags, and that left section will be perfect for the guages/switches.

And I'll definitely be a customer for one of your new boxes for my Aux lighting switches!

Rgds,
TX

Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM
kaj223
New User
Looks great!

Quick Reply: Got my new switch box done, what do you all think?