6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No start after new OEM HPOP install ICP reading 250 psi

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 02:47 PM
mikealfano
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after new OEM HPOP install ICP reading 250 psi

A bit of background....working on a new to me 2006 E-450 motorhome with a 6.0 Powerstroke. When I was driving it home from where I bought it I noticed the delta temps were at or near 15 degrees. I also got a power imbalance #1 code and I changed two injectors on the passenger side #1 and #7 (the previous owner already changed #3 and #5 last fall). Installed an Alliant Power oil cooler along with an EGR delete kit....put it all back together and it fired up fine and ran for about a half hour, then stalled and wouldn't start again. Scanned for codes and got P2291 (low oil rail pressure while cranking). Took it all apart again to do leak tests with shop air. With an air fitting screwed into the IPR port, air could be heard gurgling in the oil cooler housing....and as per Alldata instructions...it said to replace the high pressure pump.

Installed a new OEM Ford HPOP , Pump came today...changed the two o-rings along with the hpop and she still won't start. With the old pump I was getting no more than 40 psi from the icp while cranking. With the new OEM Ford hpop I'm getting between 250-300 psi from the icp. I pulled the oil filter to check to see if it was collapsed and the problem was on the suction side but the oil filter was intact and looked good and oil level is clean and full. With the old pump while cranking the pcm would store a P2291 (low oil rail pressure while cranking) but now with the new pump I don't get that code even after multiple extended crank times. Any insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm losing my mind....

thanks,
Mike.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:23 PM
UnStudded6Oh
New User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
take the ficm relay off. make sure you have a good charge on your batteries. crank it for 10-15 seconds, rest for 1 minute so you don't kill your starter. repeat a few times until you have pressure.

this should get rid of the air trapped in the system and build pressure.

The following 2 users liked this post by UnStudded6Oh:
Old 08-04-2021, 05:52 PM
mikealfano
New User
Originally Posted by UnStudded6Oh
take the ficm relay off. make sure you have a good charge on your batteries. crank it for 10-15 seconds, rest for 1 minute so you don't kill your starter. repeat a few times until you have pressure.

this should get rid of the air trapped in the system and build pressure.
I’ve cranked it over in 20-30 second intervals every hour all day and pressure takes a long time to build but once it does it builds fairly rapidly up to about 300 psi….

Old 08-04-2021, 09:24 PM
runthatjunk
Tuned
Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts
sounds like the IPR has something stuck in it

Old 08-17-2021, 12:44 PM
mikealfano
New User
Update...found one leak....still hear another

On the weekend I was able to find a donor vehicle and grabbed the oil rail, three injectors and the stand pipe and dummy plug. So I first removed the standpipe and replaced it with a dummy plug...to isolate the rail from the rest of the system. Pressure tested it and with a piece of tubing to my ear I pinpointed the rail leak to the #5 injector. Replaced the injector with one from the donor and pressure tested the oil rail again and there were zero leaks...air tight. Then I removed the rail and pressure tested it again (through the IPR) port with the stand pipe back in place. Can hear leaking but it isn't coming from the oil rail....Removed the stand pipe and replaced it with the donor stand pipe and I can still hear a leak. Should I be able to achieve a perfect seal with no leaks heard when pressure testing through the ipr port? The little vent hole on the pump will always allow air to leak past, no? Any insight or comments would be graciously welcome.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:54 PM
runthatjunk
Tuned
Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts
I have not had to mess with any of the oil system other than the HPOP. When my old pump went out I could hear a BIT of air leakage from what I assumed would be the HPOP Sump area and the IPR. The sound of air leakage did change with activation of IPR. The new pump sounded pretty much the same, so I would say yes there can be some leakage. About a month later it died again and there was some metal in IPR causing pressure to stop building around 200-300 if I remember right. Air in ICP had same results as before except I had no change in sound when engaging IPR. Cleaned valve (took several tries) reinstalled old style factory screen (seemed to be a finer mesh than the generic chinese screen I had put on there) and been fine since, but I totally have no faith in it now LOL.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:33 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 452 Likes on 299 Posts
Look up DieseltechRon on youtube. He has several oil system air test videos.