new to BIO

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
deerhunter9309
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to BIO

alright ya'll i have a 1990 f250 with the 7.3L international. i wanna know if i can just get some old fry oil from like mcDonalds filter it and put it strait in to the tank WITH OUT ANY SIDE EFFECTS!!!!!....now dont get me wrong i love my good old diesel but damn these prices!! and i for sure cant have anyting go wrong with the old beater so i gotta know 110% for sure that it wont hurt anyting....the truck has no turbo and is all stock...can ya'll help me?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:39 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To clarify, wvo is not biodiesel. But as far as your question, the answer would be no. While it should run just fine for a while, there's a whole list of other things you need to do to do it right besides filtering it, which is really the easy part. I am no expert on SVO (straight vegetable oil), as I make biodiesel, but dewatering is crucial, (and yes, fryer oil above 212F will hold water), and you need to run a heated system with a separate fuel tank. There's more to it than that, but those are key, and without doing either you'll risk mucking up your fuel system from tank all the way to the injectors.

Here's a good place to go for research if you plan to svo or bio:
Forums - Powered by Social Strata

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM
TurnerBioDiesel
Junior User
Originally Posted by binuya
To clarify, wvo is not biodiesel. But as far as your question, the answer would be no. While it should run just fine for a while, there's a whole list of other things you need to do to do it right besides filtering it, which is really the easy part. I am no expert on SVO (straight vegetable oil), as I make biodiesel, but dewatering is crucial, (and yes, fryer oil above 212F will hold water), and you need to run a heated system with a separate fuel tank. There's more to it than that, but those are key, and without doing either you'll risk mucking up your fuel system from tank all the way to the injectors.

Here's a good place to go for research if you plan to svo or bio:
Forums - Powered by Social Strata
exactly what binuya said. if not done correctly you could get away with it for a wile, but it will wreck you motor and wallet.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM
deerhunter9309
New User
k does anyone sell the whole set up kit to make my truck a bio?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deerhunter9309
k does anyone sell the whole set up kit to make my truck a bio?
If you want to run biodiesel, you'll just need to change out any rubber fuel lines. No kit needed. Actually you could probably get away with running B20 for a couple years or so before any fuel lines would show any signs of weeping or swelling. Concentrations higher than B20 will degrade the lines much quicker. But best to change them out to Viton (biodiesel resistant). There will also be some o-rings you'll want to upgrade as well.

Now, if I am misunderstanding your question, and you actually want to run SVO and need a 'kit' to do that, look into the link to the forum I posted. There will be much information in there to point you in the right direction. The only other place I would check might be DFA or Diesel Fuel Alternatives, one of our site sponsors. I know he has a very good SVO set up for PSD's, so that's worth a look.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You don't have to convert the truck. You will have to either build a biodiesel processor yourself, or buy a commercial unit.

If you search this forum you'll find info on both, and If you decide to build your own, there are a bunch of us here that will help.

Making biodiesel is not hard. Making quality biodiesel takes some commitment and time, but is well worth it IMHO.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
You don't have to convert the truck. You will have to either build a biodiesel processor yourself, or buy a commercial unit.

If you search this forum you'll find info on both, and If you decide to build your own, there are a bunch of us here that will help.

Making biodiesel is not hard. Making quality biodiesel takes some commitment and time, but is well worth it IMHO.
I have noticed lots of good help here! Lots of good leads and information! I too am new and getting into the WVO process, and have learned a lot from many here!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One thing of note, when I was checking out suppliers, some of the worse oil that I found (high titration, very acidic) was from the major franchises like McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell... (in other words they don't change oil often enough). Anyway, the best places were smaller, non-franchise mom & pop places. For whatever it's worth... On the plus side it did make me and my wife more aware of what we were eating...

Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rushmore X
One thing of note, when I was checking out suppliers, some of the worse oil that I found (high titration, very acidic) was from the major franchises like McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell... (in other words they don't change oil often enough). Anyway, the best places were smaller, non-franchise mom & pop places. For whatever it's worth... On the plus side it did make me and my wife more aware of what we were eating...
God, isnt that the truth??? LOL! Now the only time I visit fast food, is to pick up my WVO!