Sponsored by: DP Tuner

engine missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:56 AM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine missing

Ok when i finished work i went to start my truck and it ran like crap.It was missing,the engine was shakeing,it sounded like a rod was floating in the cyl.or there was air in the injectors and the motor even shut off for a split second like someone turned off the key.After i was letting it idle or 5 min you could start to hear the engine smooth out a little.Drove for 10 min on the freeway and got on it in my 80 tune and it felt like my stock setting.Pulled on the side of the road of another 5 min and let it idle also notice that my egt was a little more then 400 in ldle which it is always 250-300.took it to my friends shop and put it on the scanner....no codes and the truck runs much better now.I will call Jody and ask him what he thinks.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pull the plug on the ICP then start her up to see if she runs any better..

Old 05-23-2010, 06:12 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar scenario last fall. Missed for a few miles and then quit missing. We were in Yellowstone, and I drove it around there all day, no problems. Next gay same thing. Next day, hooked up the 5ver and it started missing, but didn't stop. Stopped at
Western Diesel in Cody Wy. They put in a harness and valve cover gasket. Cured the problem.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you SES light come on when it was running rough ? If so, there will be a code stored.. Not all scanners will give you the proper fault codes for our engine. It might be the under valve cover connector is becoming loose... Sometimes it make contact and sometimes not..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 AM
kupaa
Posting Guru
well there were no codes for UVH only for PCM which is from the chip and intake heater which is from the AIH delete.The funny thing is you could hear the idle get softer while it was idling.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Whish I could help....here's a bump....

Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Bad fuel? I recently had a scenario similar to yours and the cause was a mixup at the station where 93 octane was in their diesel tank.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Originally Posted by kupaa
well there were no codes for UVH only for PCM which is from the chip and intake heater which is from the AIH delete.The funny thing is you could hear the idle get softer while it was idling.
Chris did you find anything yet

Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 AM
StevieMc
Freshman User
First thing I would check would be the wiring harness that sets on top of the driver side valve cover. The wires get worn through and the harness will short out. I bolt holds it together and it is easy to access. If the wires are showing signs of wear, black tape will get you by until you get a new harness.

My truck did something similar, I replaced IPC, CPS and the truck was still acting up. The harness was my culprit.

Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
There were no codes for the UVH and like i said it started to run and sound better from when i first started it.If it were the UVH it would be a on of thing right?or would it get better over time.Anyway i have some vids of it.the first two is taken about 5 mins after it started.By the time i took the video it started to clear up.the last one is how it usually starts.
YouTube - Idle

YouTube - Video from My Phone

YouTube - Video from My Phone

You can here the knock and see how the engine was missing,I talk to James a DP tuner and he said i should try and clean my IPR and see how it goes from there.If any one wants a good write up on how to clean the IPR just let me know, James sent me a good write up.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Not necessarily. You see if your harness under the valve cover is coming loose or is not seated correctly then it will not get 100% of the voltage it needs to make the injector or injectors fire correctly, plus with the engine wiggling around it will cause it to connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect and so on. This may or may not throw a code.
You really need to pull the valve covers, check ALL your connections to the injectors or have your fuel checked. Bad fuel or gas in your fuel can cause issues too.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
kupaa
Posting Guru
Ok I'll check it out because when i did my injectors i noticed that they were hard and stiff.Thanks

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
They are indeed hard and stuff under the cover. Mine were and still are as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
BTW, I just noticed when i labeled that picture i labeled it wrong. If you look right above where the line connects to the circle you'll see the quarter in place before i cut it so the valve cover would fit back on.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I think James is no the right track on your IPR. Also, check your ICP plug for oil. Sounds like when my ICP went bad.

Quick Reply: engine missing