1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Help, truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
CaptMorgan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, truck won't start

Alright, here is the situation. My 85 F150 5.0FI 4X4 sat for about 6 months (I know I should of started it, but didn't) before it sat I was having issues with the tank selector switch (the part on the frame rail) it wouldn't switch between tanks. I went out to start the truck and it didn't want to turn over. I pulled the front tank (the only one I was putting gas in) and drained all the old gas and flushed out real well with new gas, then put about 7 gallons of new gas back in. At this time the pump inside of the tank looked original so it was replaced. We noticed that the pump on the frame rail ran constantly, I was told the computer controled it so the computer was replaced along with the fuel pump relay, EEC relay and fuel pressure regulator. The spark plugs, wires and rotor and cap were also replace at this time. I also replaced the ignition control module on the side of the distributor, because this went bad on me before and I thought maybe that was it. I also reset the enertia switch that is on the inside of the truck. After doing all this the truck cranks but won't fire. I have spark and the coil seems to test out (according to Chilton's manual). Like I said the fuel tank switch was acting up so I routed fuel line and return line directly from the front tank to the fuel pump on the frame rail. Here is the really bizarre part, I pulled the fuel line before it gets to the motor to make sure I was getting fuel and the truck began to sputter, after about 15-30 seconds of sputtering it will fire and run (hooked fuel line back up quickly) I drove it for about 15 minutes and drove great no hesitation, plenty of power like nothing was wrong. I bring it back home and turn it off, restart it and nothing, it just cranks doesn't fire. So I get back under the truck pull the fuel line and have my wife start it and sure enough it sputters then fires over. It makes absolutely no sense, I'm hoping someone else has run into something similar and has some help for me. Sorry for the long read, but am looking for some help, PLEASE!!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Are you getting fuel from the fuel pumps with the line off?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
CaptMorgan
New User
Yeah, there is plenty of fuel. I pulled the line off both pumps (1 in tank and 1 on frame rail) and both are pumping fuel.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Next time it won't start try this; Hold the gas pedal completely to the floor and then crank it, and see if it will sputter and then start. When the rpm of the engine is below a certain number, and the throttle position is wide open, this puts the computer in "clear flooded engine" mode, and it turns the injectors off. If this works, I would suspect you have dirty injectors that are dribbling fuel into the engine and flooding it. Pulling the line off is starving the engine of fuel till it clears out and starts running.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 PM
CaptMorgan
New User
I'll try it in the morning. Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 AM
CaptMorgan
New User
It didn't sputter or fire at all. I kept my foot on the pedal while I cranked it for about 1 minute, but nothing.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
You said that you replaced the computer, are you sure you got the right one? These ford ECU's are very reliable, so if there is any doubt, I would put the original one back in there. It has to be an ECU for the right engine/trans combo or it won't work. Have you checked for trouble codes on either computer? All you need is a paper clip (not joking). Your 87 should have 2 digit diagnostic codes, so its easier to count the flashes from the check engine light. Check out www.fordfuelinjection.com for more info about checking codes.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
CaptMorgan
New User
Here is what happened. I went to the junk yard and found all kinds of 80's F150s. The wiring had issues, 25yrs old. I found a truck that looked like all the wiring and plugs were in great shape, I pulled everything I could get to. I replaced all the plugs that looked questionable with the new ones. Still had the same starting issue. There was one sensor plug the temp sensor that I didn't pull, it looked to be in the worst shape, I guess I missed it. So I went back and got this plug. I hooked it up and the truck fired right up. Started it 4 times in a row with no issue. I thought there is no way in hell that a temp. sensor plug caused the issue, so I pulled the plug and left it hanging there. I tried to start the truck and same thing it would crank but not fire. I hooked the plug back up and it fired right off. I would have never thought that the plug could do that but it seems to have fixed my issues. Thanks for everyone's help.