Sponsored by: DP Tuner

replacing front axle shaft u-joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Moto52
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing front axle shaft u-joint

Does anyone have a link to a step by step how to replace the front axle shaft ujoints? I've been using 4x4 a bit lately and there so bad I can barely turn the wheel before they bind up really bad..

Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jmray/F250AxleUJoints.htm

Lots of pictures. Check out the ball joint write-up that guy did if you need more pics and directions.

Those joints were impossible for me to push out w/o bringing them into Ford to use a big hydraulic press.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Here's the Ball Joint thread that'll show you how to get the axles out: http://www.frontiernet.net/~jmray/F250BallJoints.htm

I recommend doing your inner axle seals while you're at it. I didn't and they leaked the second I reinstalled my axle shafts. I've been told it's common by a reputable drivetrain shop here.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:38 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hard to replace the knuckle seals on the axle without the driver. I borrowed one from the ford parts department actually.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
You can make a seal driver with a 1ft piece of pipe, a pipe cap and flange for cheap. Run a search for homemade seal driver. You'll have to do a bit of grinding on the flange. I used a sander to get the face of the flange flat and checked it on our anvil. It worked great. Or you could buy an OTC specific seal driver.

I don't like how the write-up says to use the driver to drive the axle back into the knuckle. I prefer tapping it in with said driver and using the hub bolts to pull it in. The first time I drove it in per the write-ups and it went in too far. I had to use a pry bar on the back of the axle u-joint flanges to pry it out to install the retainer clip on the axle. PITA... The second time around I did it the way I described and had zero retainer clip installation issues. Everything lined up perfectly.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:28 PM
quinnbozz
Freshman User
I know I've dug this up from the depths but,

So I dug this up by searching and read through the write up it's a very good, read up on how to replace the ball joints in the U joint in the front end my question is once you get the caliper off and the rotor why could you not just take the four bolts off the back of the wheel bearing hub assembly and pull the whole assembly out together connected to the driveshaft and just replace the new joint if that was the end goal?
Thanks

Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The caliper mounting bracket has to be removed also to remove the rotor.

Next, unless I am mistaken, you could theoretically remove everything in one unit the way that you describe. However, having the added bulk of the hub unit bearing attached to the stub shaft would make it a pain in the rear to secure during u-joint removal whether you do it yourself or pay someone. I would be willing to bet that a shop would want it removed.

Then, upon reassembly, you'd be fighting the hub seal alignment, alignment of the 4 bolts on the HUB, and the weight of the stub shaft and wheel shaft. The passenger side would be significantly heavier due to shaft length. Also, you want to avoid allowing the alignment splines on the shaft from coming into contact with the debris in the tube upon reassembly.

Why do you want to do it that way when it is so easy to simply pull the two apart? If the u-joints are bad, then you also want to inspect the bearing surface on the stub shaft. That surface has likely been damaged too and the only way to inspect that is to separate the two.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:23 PM
quinnbozz
Freshman User
I know I've dug this up from the depths but,

If you think it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing then obviously your right. Lol I think I've decided that my truck has a Dana 50 front axle (1991 ext can f250 7.3 idi)what are all wearable parts could be damaged and need replaced if I'm only looking to replace the U joint itself. Also all the different u joins with slightly different dimensions how do I figure out which one I need can anybody give me a specific Dana Spicer U joint model number

thanks all in advance

Last edited by quinnbozz; 07-14-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 07-14-2017, 05:30 PM
quinnbozz
Freshman User
Jhl3
Thanks for the feedback that's kind of what I assumed I was just trying to make it easier and less probability of damaging things such as seals I only have to replace the driver side u joint because I snapped it.!the passenger side is just fine

just trying to minimize downtime

Old 07-14-2017, 05:58 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Quinn... if you have a 91 truck, you're dealing with a different front axle than what is being discussed in this 99-03 section.
You have a twin traction beam front axle, not a unit bearing D50.
You will have a different procedure for replacing the ujoints in your truck. You'll need to remove caliper and take wheel bearing nuts off, remove rotor and hub to expose the spindle. Then 5 nuts and you'll need to pull or pound the spindle off the knuckle. Then axle shaft comes out drivers side. Pass side is the same, but you'll be taking the clamp off the inner ujoint boot, and pull it out after. Then if you need to replace the inner ujoints, you'll need to take differential out to get the retaining clip out.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:03 PM
quinnbozz
Freshman User
lol I knew something didn't seem right

again I'm not touching the passenger side I'm only going to change out do you joint behind the front driver side wheel, I snapped it this Spring. I didn't realize it at the time but I was crawling under the truck the other day and noticed. And realized I knew exactly when I did it

I've put superchargers on, done suspension lifts, but never actually touched drivetrain before

before this I had a 6.0 and there is plentiful information on those but this is new to me and I'm finding a big info gap from the 87 F250s to the power stroke era 87-93 I just don't think I'm looking in the right spots

Old 07-14-2017, 10:34 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Quinn... if you have a 91 truck, you're dealing with a different front axle than what is being discussed in this 99-03 section.
You have a twin traction beam front axle, not a unit bearing D50.
You will have a different procedure for replacing the ujoints in your truck. You'll need to remove caliper and take wheel bearing nuts off, remove rotor and hub to expose the spindle. Then 5 nuts and you'll need to pull or pound the spindle off the knuckle. Then axle shaft comes out drivers side. Pass side is the same, but you'll be taking the clamp off the inner ujoint boot, and pull it out after. Then if you need to replace the inner ujoints, you'll need to take differential out to get the retaining clip out.
The inner u-joint can be changed with the differential in place. I did that one on my brother-in-law's '95 F250 TTB axle by using my C-clamp type ball joint press to R&R it.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:24 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mueckster
The inner u-joint can be changed with the differential in place. I did that one on my brother-in-law's '95 F250 TTB axle by using my C-clamp type ball joint press to R&R it.
That's how I do it as well.
A lot of people don't have balljoint presses, which is crazy... Harbor freight has a decent one for cheap, and gets you out of a bind

Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by quinnbozz

before this I had a 6.0 and there is plentiful information on those but this is new to me and I'm finding a big info gap from the 87 F250s to the power stroke era 87-93 I just don't think I'm looking in the right spots
Powerstroke started in mid 94, only had a manual trans. 95 it got an auto.
Early 99 got the straight axle back in the F250, and they all had unit bearings.

87-93 was a 7.3, non turbo, and around 92 or so, there was an option for idi turbo 7.3, but it wasn't the powerstroke yet.

There is a lot of info in this forum, lots of diehard ISO guys here. Go back to the diesel section, and jump into the correct group.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
This is the idi diesel section you want. All the engine info you'll ever need.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/

This is the truck section you need. 87-97 trucks

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/

Quick Reply: replacing front axle shaft u-joint