6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 is one badass truck........

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:46 AM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6.7 is one badass truck........

Took a trip to the dealer yesterday, test drove a 2011 f-350 cc sb 6.7 FX4 lariat, im guessing it was the ultimate package, had cooled/heated seats the whole nine yards, i mean everything was in this truck, it was my dream truck, dark grey exterior with black leather and black carpet interior. Anyways test drove it for about 10 miles, took it easy in the beginning.... the couple of lights i hit on the way back to the dealership, i floored it, spun the tires a little until the traction control kicked in. This motor has amazing power, it is so quick, the power behind it amazes me, there is virtually no turbo lag, and the motor sounds amazing, its super quiet, but you can still tell it's a diesel, the turbo has a nice pitch to it when you accelerate.

The salesman was trying to explain every new thing in the truck like how the turbo was set up/ and how it worked in the new motor, well i schooled him on the mechanics side of the new motor, the only thing he could teach was the navigation system.

Ford needs to educate the people who are selling their vehicles, its not a good thing when the buyer knows more the salesperson.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people on this site are definetley not your average "buyer"...

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Most people on this site are definetley not your average "buyer"...
Yeah! I are smrt when it comes to deezels!

Never having owned one, this will be my first. I think it is safe to say most forum members are pretty well-informed even if they don't have experience yet. Put a bunch of Ford enthusiasts in the same room and there's definitely a lot of experience there.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
yes i give him credit, my dad was with me and he had no idea what me and salesperson where talking about, i forgot that im on this site learning alot more than the average joe.....

Thanks FTE for all the info

Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 AM
dc3655
Elder User
When I was in Salt Lake City a few weeks ago for a test drive of my first encounter with the 2011 Ford Diesel, the salesman finally asked which dealership in the area I was selling for. He swore that I was from a nearby Ford dealership and I was just trying to get a firsthand look at these new trucks since it was the first week that they had hit the lot. I just told him that I'm a diesel enthusiast and I'd been reading a lot on these sites prior to going to the dealership. He said that he'd like to know more, but he said it was too complex having to know all the Ford vehicles, not just their trucks. He did introduce me to the general manager of the dealership to offer me a job, but I kindly declined because I know the military won't be letting me go for a while.

But it is true, most people on here could be pretty effective at selling these trucks since we are all very excited and knowledgeable about them. But then again, most average truck buyers would be turned off if one of us "diesel nuts" were trying to entice them into one of these trucks based on the minutia that we understand and appreciate about these trucks. For example, my dad could really care less about the SST turbo or the new injection system, all he cares about is whether it will pull his trailers, be reliable, and get good fuel mileage.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Jacksfirstdiesel
Senior User
Well I guess I'm a little more like the average Joe when I Drove the 2011 truck on saturday. I've spent most of my time on the 7.3 liter page, the 6.9 IDI page and the Biodiesel page. I didn't know a thing about the injection system on this new Powerstroke. Is it similar to the HEUI system?

I was marginally impressed with the descent control seeing as one has to be going less than 20 MPH to use this feature. I'm a little biased as I've installed an aftermarket engine brake on my '96. Another downfall is one can search the computer for fuel prices in the area but there needs to be a specific Biodiesel search function added since it is so difficult to find otherwise. Why would I care how much 87 octane gas is at 14 stations when I'm in a diesel truck? This was just bolted in from their other gasoline product offerings.
Ford needed to recover their reputation in the powerstroke line and have done an excellent job.
I was very impressed with the trucks performance and the controls the driver has. This is a Ford motor not a Navistar It's very quiet and comfortable. It's powerful and has all the amenities that todays computer technology can provide. One thing that impressed me is the big green B20 badge this truck sports on the side. I could be wrong but do not think this is a a federal requirement. What about B50? B100? Why not go to the front of the pack? I was also impressed with the twin turbo and the CAC system. It looks like an air/air and a air/water cooler are in series. If I was a serious buyer, I could look at the powerstroke again!
I made my reccomendations to the salesman. I hope he ran 'em up the flag-pole.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM
barry1me
Senior User
Originally Posted by lakewood
Took a trip to the dealer yesterday, test drove a 2011 f-350 cc sb 6.7 FX4 lariat, im guessing it was the ultimate package, had cooled/heated seats the whole nine yards, i mean everything was in this truck, it was my dream truck, dark grey exterior with black leather and black carpet interior. Anyways test drove it for about 10 miles, took it easy in the beginning.... the couple of lights i hit on the way back to the dealership, i floored it, spun the tires a little until the traction control kicked in. This motor has amazing power, it is so quick, the power behind it amazes me, there is virtually no turbo lag, and the motor sounds amazing, its super quiet, but you can still tell it's a diesel, the turbo has a nice pitch to it when you accelerate.

The salesman was trying to explain every new thing in the truck like how the turbo was set up/ and how it worked in the new motor, well i schooled him on the mechanics side of the new motor, the only thing he could teach was the navigation system.

Ford needs to educate the people who are selling their vehicles, its not a good thing when the buyer knows more the salesperson.

couldnt agree more. I am in technical sales and I try to be as educated about my product as possible, as well as my competitors products. For me I get so frustrated going to look at a new toy (truck, car, ATV) and asking the sales person for some info on it....next thing I am educating him on the product.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The first dealer I visited, I knew more than the sales group which used the "we just don't have much info on these trucks yet" phrase and I was only looking for a 2011. After we (I) talked about the 2011 for a few minutes, he offered "So, how about a 2010?"
lol...

Needless to say, my current dealer picked up quickly that I have researched and have been nothing but a great experience.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
My first test drive went well, kind of. The salesman came out, put a plate on then went over various items and features of the new model. He also opened the fuel door and explained this is where the urethra is added......

Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Haha that reminds me, the salesperson i talked to didnt know what the urea was called, he called it "diesel exhaust cleaner", i also educated him on that.... haha

Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
My first test drive went well, kind of. The salesman came out, put a plate on then went over various items and features of the new model. He also opened the fuel door and explained this is where the urethra is added......
Urethra... LOL. I just flinched a little thinking how the truck would feel if someone started pouring stuff down its urethra...