6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011-Does it hold the road well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Mule Ldy
My observation isn't quite what you're all speaking of....but it was the only thing we've noticed as a step back for us. All my trucks have had limited slip, which supposedly made driving up our curved gravel driveway effortless. But this new truck with the new type of electronic replacement for limited slip, slips and shoots rocks everywhere. The dealer had no clue .....but suggested I just pop it into 4X4 ....which has done the trick....but I preferred not.
I consider the ELD an aid to the 4x4.
Up a gravel hill even with my ATV as payload, the ELD doesn't appear to be the best scenero. Easing into the throttle, it just caused the rear to skip. 4x4 works great though.
I do sometimes engage the ELD with the 4x4 simply because I have it.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Mule Ldy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry...this part's over my head about what is actually going on with the wheel. I just know none of our other trucks skidded out in this manner throwing rock and my husband says only one wheel is trying to grab ....that the limited slip wasn't working.....when we recall there no longer IS limited slip ? The 4x4 plan was all the Ford Dealer could offer.....that it wasn't mal-functioning ?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Elock works great on Daytona Beach! I did not use 4x4 until I hit the really soft stuff. I gunned it in 2wd, 2wd with diff locked, and then in 4x4. 2wd was the only mode where I felt uncomfortable.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
sorry...this part's over my head about what is actually going on with the wheel. I just know none of our other trucks skidded out in this manner throwing rock and my husband says only one wheel is trying to grab ....that the limited slip wasn't working.....when we recall there no longer IS limited slip ? The 4x4 plan was all the Ford Dealer could offer.....that it wasn't mal-functioning ?
Ah so you aren't engaging the ELD and just driving normally in 4x2?
Even in 4x2, if you pull out on the 4x4 ***, it will lock in both rear wheels. If you test this, take it easy. Like I said, it didn't work out in my scenero and there were deep ditches on both sides so I wasn't going to push my luck...haha.

I think the replacement for the LS without operator interaction is the traction control feature.
I'm not entirely sure what the computer instructs the truck to do when it detects the rear wheel slipping with the traction control. My guess is the computer just slows the spinning drive wheel down either by braking or reduced engine power.

The only downside I found with the 4x4, sometimes the msg ctr tells you to drive forward to engage 4x4. That's an issue if you can't move forward.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Mule Ldy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyper: thank you for taking the time to respond to my issue. I hate to admit it....but I didn't even know that I could/should PULL out the 4X4 **** ??!! I've just been enjoying driving....and trying to learn the Sync/Nav stuff piece by piece. I appreciate all the guys on these truck sites....they ALWAYS know more and help more than my dealers .

Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Kyper: thank you for taking the time to respond to my issue. I hate to admit it....but I didn't even know that I could/should PULL out the 4X4 **** ??!! I've just been enjoying driving....and trying to learn the Sync/Nav stuff piece by piece. I appreciate all the guys on these truck sites....they ALWAYS know more and help more than my dealers .
It's the same thing with the headlight switch to turn on your fog lights. Pull the headlight *** the same as the 4X4 ***. Just in case you haven't pulled that *** either...