Rear Main Seal tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 01:02 AM
EJEther
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Main Seal tips

I just got an 1988 f-250 4x4 with a leaky rear main. I think Im gonna do it myself. Its a long job but nothing to technical. Does anyone have any tips. Anything is apprecitated. Thanks

Old 02-03-2003, 11:22 AM
D9351
Senior User
Rear Main Seal tips

It may be a little tricky to replace if you are a novice. Be sure that it's not the sending unit up on top, or the pan. I'd get a good repair book with lots of pictures (or just buy more oil).

Old 02-03-2003, 11:35 AM
EJEther
New User
Rear Main Seal tips

Im pretty sure its the rear main. The pan seal all the way aroung looks dry, but I cant really see back there. I think the most challenging part will be getting the seal back in with no leaks.
Other than that its just labor right....

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:53 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User
Rear Main Seal tips

I'll second the pan question, just make sure it's the seal. You might want to check into getting one of those kits that has the thin shim type peice of metal that goes around the crank. This helps to seal if you have grooves in the crank.

Old 02-03-2003, 05:07 PM
EJEther
New User
Rear Main Seal tips

Thanks folk. Just got the truck back from a checkover and it turns out the rear main is the LEAST of my worried. Between vaccum modulators, front brakes, ball joints, motor mounts, exhaust manifold and rear wheel cylinders. I think the rear main can wait.... Bummer.
Thanks again

Old 02-04-2003, 05:48 AM
D9351
Senior User
Rear Main Seal tips

Well, at least most of those are pretty reasonable do-it-yourself projects (ball joints require more grunt and tools). Other ones you can live with for a while if necessary (maybe do the wheel cylinders and brakes first). Did whoever checked it out have a stake in the findings? I'd trust them more if they don't do any work, or have a brother-in-law that conveniently does....

Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 AM
EJEther
New User
Rear Main Seal tips

I had my regular 'old truck' mechanic check it out. I trust him. He is one of those guys who will help you do it yourself just as soon as do it. Hes also cut me good deels here and there so Im happy with him so far.

Im worried about the vaccum system. Its not somthing ive done before and the bad modualtor caused tranny fluid to be pulled up intot he system and make it leak all over the place.

Im pretty pissed at the guy I got the truck from , hes being a total jerk.

Old 02-05-2003, 06:11 AM
D9351
Senior User
Rear Main Seal tips

Sorry you've had so much trouble. The vac modulator deal may not be so bad. I would try to keep the ATF away from the distributor vacuum advance; atf seems to soften some rubbers. A new modulator and maybe blow out a few lines and you may be OK.
I've found that most sellers lie; character seems to be in short supply these days. Enjoy the truck anyway!