Sponsored by:

E4OD Driving us crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:48 PM
science_rules
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Driving us crazy!

We just put a E4OD transmission into the truck. It seems to be connected correctly as the bolts into the block (with some reaching) all slid into place. The drive shafts, transfer case, etc. have all been reconnected. The linkage is in good shape and is working fine.

THE PROBLEM is that when the motor is running and we attempt to switch into a gear, there is no engagement gear sound in the transmission. Basically, the truck runs but won't move!

Could it be a misaligned torque converter. If it is the converter, how come the flywheel and everything else lined up so nice? Is there something electronic we don't know about?

Please help if you can with any suggestions. My buddy (his truck) is about to have a nervous breakdown.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
bronco 1996 16 year old
Junior User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

my best guess is that the shifter is missaligned and or the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position.

Old 01-30-2003, 09:22 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
E4OD Driving us crazy!

It's definately not misalignment of the torque converter. If that happened, you wouldn't even be able to turn the motor over.

The E40D is the electronic one, right? Do you have the computer to control it? Don't know if that would cause your problem or not.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:43 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E4OD Driving us crazy!

E4OD gets its information from the computer. I would make certain that all of the electrical stuff is doing its thing. I don't know enough to give you pinpoint analysis fo the tranny but I know the E4OD relys heavily on the computer for shift information.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:00 AM
adelyser
Elder User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

greystreak has it correct. The E4OD requires the PCM to operate. It is completely elecectronic, run by a solenoid pack inside the tranny. Was this a replacement E4OD or a swap into a vehicle that didn't have an E4OD? If it was a swap, there are a few companies out there that make a wire harness to operate only the tranny. If it's not a swap, I would check that the electrical connector is seated completely, and you are full of fluid.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:28 PM
broncoman85
Senior User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

AAhhhhh....better check, if its making any kind of whining or high pitched sound shut it down and pull the tranny....you didnt get the torque converter pump splined, made this mistake once.....cost enough I havent ever made it again. If the pump isnt splined the engine will crank the tranny will maybe or maybe not engage. Get out the Chiltons or Haynes and check the measurement from the bellhousing facing to torque converter facing when you install the converter. Thats what it sounds like from experience....don't ask.....Later Whit

Old 01-31-2003, 05:34 PM
science_rules
Freshman User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

Thank you for the suggestions! We'll let you know the results. I hope that broncoman85 is wrong because I don't feel like pulling the damn thing off again. But, broncoman85, we had a sneaking suspicion that could be the cause. Although it (transmission) is not making a high-pitched or whining sound. Man, and it lined up so good!

Adelyser ... it is a replacement for a previous E4OD. It (the "new one") came from a salvage yard.

The Haynes manual talked about five solenoids that are used in the shift process. Is the manual talking about five solenoids located within the housing itself?

Old 01-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Johnny88Bronco
Senior User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

Salvage yard as in used transmission from another vehicle ? Maybe that vehicle ended up there because of a bad tranny ? Ya never know. I hope that wasn't your case and its a easy fix .

Old 01-31-2003, 08:21 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E4OD Driving us crazy!

Originally posted by broncoman85
AAhhhhh....better check, if its making any kind of whining or high pitched sound shut it down and pull the tranny....you didnt get the torque converter pump splined, made this mistake once.....cost enough
I also have e4od problems, and I do have the described whining when the tranny is cold. From my previous thread a few weeks ago, I was told that my torque convertor was bad (surging at stop lights). This whine the same that you describe, or just something cold related? Im very fed up with this tranny.

Rich

Old 01-31-2003, 08:31 PM
broncoman85
Senior User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

Probably different whine...that sounds internal in the torque converter, what I was talking about is the torque converter not being all the way in the tranny, busted the pump in a very expensive TCI C6 once cause I was in a rush to get the truck back on the road. Didnt get the pump splined and it would crank and go in gear until you gave it gas fairly hard then it would start whining and feel like it was going into neutral, I pulled the tranny back out and the pump was busted internally had to order another from TCI. My rule is if my fingers will slide between the conv and the bellhousing its not in far enough....except on C6s behind 351Ms in 4x4s i can almost get my fingers behind it....always worrys me, so I always break out the Chiltons and measure. Later Whit

Old 02-03-2003, 05:44 PM
science_rules
Freshman User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

Well, here's how it played out. We double checked and maybe even triple checked everything. We called a top notch tranny guy in our area (comes highly recommended) and he had never heard of our type of problem. He said it was in corectly. So that, unfortunately, left us with only one conclusion. JOHNNY88BRONCO, you hit the nail on the head. The transmission was s***.

At least my buddy took it pretty well. I think it was harder to deal with the fact that we thought it might be misaligned (it sucks if something doen't work because of your own mistake). At least now we know where not to look for a used transmission.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Johnny88Bronco
Senior User
E4OD Driving us crazy!

You may want to check out these guys. I was going to purchase one from them and do the swap myself about 6 weeks ago, but events with my family just didn't allow me the time.

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv

I've heard nothing but good things about these guys, and have seen their work on some of the local trails around here. Could be quite a substantial savings. Or even check on ebay and search for Ford E40D and you should come up with some results.

I wish you the best , and hope you get her on the road soon

JohnnyO