1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 f350 PSD7.3 dually Trans swap zf5.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f350 PSD7.3 dually Trans swap zf5.

Hello guys I got a 1997 Ford f350 powerstroke dualy with around 249k.
I got the truck a few mouths ago. I havent had alote of drive time in it yet because Im fixxing some issues with the tittle. It runs great.
I love everything about the truck execpet the auto trans - E4oD. I have had many trucks with the E4oD and its a good trans in all. I have never had one just go out or fail - expt one time do to self abuse. How ever the one in the f350 I have now appears to be dien. It is slow to engage and some times acts like it is engaged but when you take off it reves a bit and then jerks and takes off. (Like it falls out of gear when stop and once you give it a lil throttle it grabs 1200rpm or so)

It had a OD light flashing but we had the battery's out for a bit- after re/installing them the od light has failed to come back on. Even after driving a bit. It seems to shift VERRY softly.

After thinking about it for sometime. I have thought about getting anther e4od form a selvage yard just out side of town for 250 or a zf5 and everything I need to convert for 350$ with a 1 year warranty.

I have seen a few threads on this but one of them seem to get stright to the point and down in dirty. The best thread I have seen is https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...peed-swap.html
By buckhammer. It is great reading but I suffer from a bit of a read/learning disability and can some times have a hard time retaining small stuff in a large word group.

So Im fallowing buckhammer as well as I can and I want to start my own threat to see if I can get down to the nidtygrity.

I need a few ppl who would be whiling to answer questions as I got. and wont (Tell me to do sometime and then disappear for mths if I have questions lol)

So is there anyone out there who might be wheeling to give me advice on this swap along the way? I plain to do a full video / write up on this for all. Those who help with get video credits.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:08 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
The List.

Ok first things first.
Is the zf5 a rear wheel drive trans? I have no use for rear wheel drive.
What all is needed for this swap... Let say I could walk out to the salvage yard to marrow and get everything I needed. What do I want to get?

Find a psd 7.3 with manual trans. rob it/blind.
1. clutch/brake pedal assembly
2. master/slave unit
3. trans tunnel from a 5 spd (Do these unbolt or do I have to cut them out)???
4. trans crossmember
5. shiftier and boot
6. Single mass flywheel/clutch/pp
7. ZF 5 Rear wheel drive trans.
8.Drive line from Donner
9. Pcm from Donner.

I need a list of the must haves - What am I missing.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Both the ZF5 and the E4OD are made with both RWD and 4x4 tail housings. IIRC, you can put a 4x4 tail housing on a ZF5 that was originally commissioned in a RWD truck. The "tunnel" isn't any different, just the top plate that has a hole for the shifter. You'll need a shorter front driveshaft, and a shorter linkage for the transfer case shifter.

You'll also want a steering column cover without the shifter, and the "fig leaf" that goes over the PRND21 display.

Edit - waitaminit - it's a dually? But you say you have "no use for rear wheel drive". Are you looking to add a front axle as well?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:23 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Both the ZF5 and the E4OD are made with both RWD and 4x4 tail housings. IIRC, you can put a 4x4 tail housing on a ZF5 that was originally commissioned in a RWD truck. The "tunnel" isn't any different, just the top plate that has a hole for the shifter. You'll need a shorter front driveshaft, and a shorter linkage for the transfer case shifter.

You'll also want a steering column cover without the shifter, and the "fig leaf" that goes over the PRND21 display.

Edit - waitaminit - it's a dually? But you say you have "no use for rear wheel drive". Are you looking to add a front axle as well?
LOL OOPS = meant to say I have no use for 4x4. I want to keep it RWD...
As far as the tunnel goes - does it unbolt anywhere, or does it have to be cut out and re-welded into the other truck?
I have changed out many transmissions, however I haven't done any swaps or conversions before.
Thanks for all the information, it has all been very helpful.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
The ZF tunnel is held on with 8-10 sheet metal screws. The auto tunnel probably has where it needs to be cut out stamped into it. At least that was the case with the 86 cab I transplanted onto the 85 IDI I have. When you pull the carpet/floor matting you will see the pattern stamped into your tunnel. It will also have the spots marked for the clips that the screw go into.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys.

So far this thread seems to be moving along great.

My next question would be -
Is most of this gonna be plug and play. Or is there gonna be alote of
Metal fabrication for bracket and parts and such.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
f350hammer, you might want to flag one of the Moderators, and have the link you posted over in the PSD forum to this thread in the 1997 - 2003 F150 Forum, moved back to the PSD forum.

This whole thread can be moved over there intact. A 1997 F350 PSD dually doesn't have anything in common with the trucks in this 1997 - 2003 F150 forum!

And everyone posting to this thread via the link from PSD, probably don't realize where they are dropping into.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Torky2
f350hammer, you might want to flag one of the Moderators, and have the link you posted over in the PSD forum to this thread in the 1997 - 2003 F150 Forum, moved back to the PSD forum.

This whole thread can be moved over there intact. A 1997 F350 PSD dually doesn't have anything in common with the trucks in this 1997 - 2003 F150 forum!

And everyone posting to this thread via the link from PSD, probably don't realize where they are dropping into.
And thank you sir. I alway seem to have a issue posting in the proper place.
Sorry. I would say cocaine is a he77 of a drug but Im to poor for any drug let alone cocaine lol - So Im just blame it on my stupidity
Can a moderator find it in his heart to move my thread.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
Thanks for the info guys.

So far this thread seems to be moving along great.

My next question would be -
Is most of this gonna be plug and play. Or is there gonna be alote of
Metal fabrication for bracket and parts and such.
The only metal fabbing you will need to do is cutting the tranny tunnel so the ZF tunnel coverwull fit. The rest is plug and play, if you have a complete donor truck.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by glruff
Moved to proper forum.
and I thank you sir.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmert
The only metal fabbing you will need to do is cutting the tranny tunnel so the ZF tunnel coverwull fit. The rest is plug and play, if you have a complete donor truck.
Ok thats good to know.
I called my buddy out at the yard this morning and he said 450 out the door with everything - from the proper steering column to pcm and everything in between. I guess its not to bad of a deal. Its only 200$ for then my e4od.

The only other thing I can think of that I might have problems with is - installing the clutch - I have never done a manual trans before... Guess its a good time to learn.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where abouts are you? there my be people willing to come over and help/do most of the work for the right refreshments (and you have to get the parts).

It's happened before

Richard

EDT: and the clutch is simple... the clutch kit should come with the alignment tool and all the parts you need. You should convert to a SMF tho...

Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just unbolt the trans tunnel from the ZF truck and bolt it in your truck. No cutting or fabbing needs to be done unless you don't have a ZF trans tunnel, then just cut a hole for the shifter in the auto tunnel. Get the trans wiring harness from the donor truck if possible. There are a couple small wiring modifications that need to be done, but they are more simple to do with the ZF harness.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM
dieselsubmariner
Elder User
I just did the swap as well and like it .. Search for my post " my dually gets updated" might help you , as I posted some pix as well..
Ohh.. And welcome to the forum. The guys here are great and there is a lot of help available

Quick Reply: 97 f350 PSD7.3 dually Trans swap zf5.