Power Steering Fluid Type - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Power Steering Fluid Type

Old 04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Posting Guru

onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.
Power Steering Fluid Type

Hi all, I normally hang in the 7.3 SD section, but have a friend with a 1993 f250 with the 351 in it.

My question, is what fluid does the power steering unit take on that truck? I know my SD diesel takes ATF, but have no idea on that one.

Thanks for any help, Tom
Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
All Fords take Type "F" ATF.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Posting Guru

onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.onelionhunter has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Postmaster

jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
You don't even have to use Type F if you don't want to. Any old ATF will do. Type F is getting pretty hard to find these days.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Post Fiend

subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
The 1995 owners manual still calls for Type "F".
Off the shelf Power Steering Fluid will make a Ford pump make noise.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Postmaster

LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Agreed with Subford, "steering fluid" is bad for the pumps. Dex/Merc-III works decent tho.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM
New User

fodder2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The 1995 owners manual still calls for Type "F".
I got a chuckle out of this. Owner's manuals don't update themselves?

I've looked up a couple dozen threads on the topic and responses are split pretty much 50/50 between regular ATF and Ford's Type F spec.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Freshman User

Onions.n.Butter is starting off with a positive reputation.
I always use universal synthetic ATF that covers Mercon V. Synthetic seems to be a bit quieter, although that may just be me convincing myself of that.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM
New User

fodder2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions.n.Butter View Post
I always use universal synthetic ATF that covers Mercon V. Synthetic seems to be a bit quieter, although that may just be me convincing myself of that.
I'm always a bit nervous going to synthetic well north of 100k, but at least that probably addresses the 'better viscosity' concerns of using the proper stuff.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Senior User

BeholdenZippy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have heard of mercon causing more pump noise. I would recommend just sticking with type F. You can find it at any auto parts stores. I even still see it at gas stations.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Freshman User

_Trekker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
All Fords take Type "F" ATF.
Not true. Mercon V is what is used now. Mercon V can also be used in older trucks.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdenZippy View Post
I have heard of mercon causing more pump noise. I would recommend just sticking with type F. You can find it at any auto parts stores. I even still see it at gas stations.
Being a ford tech, I can tell you that Mercon V doesn't make it any louder than type f from my own experience
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Trekker View Post
Being a ford tech, I can tell you that Mercon V doesn't make it any louder than type f from my own experience
You would know better than me. Do you know if ford changed the power steering pump design at all after this era of trucks? I noticed that's when they stopped saying to use type F.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeholdenZippy View Post
You would know better than me. Do you know if ford changed the power steering pump design at all after this era of trucks? I noticed that's when they stopped saying to use type F.
I don't believe they did, but they don't even use type F in dealerships anymore because everything is replaced by Mercon V or Mercon LV. There isn't much to change on a power steering pump other than pressure or pulley size conidering it is just a simple belt driven pump for hydraulic fluid

EDIT: I would also just like to add that Ford PS pumps are just loud in general.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Trekker View Post
I don't believe they did, but they don't even use type F in dealerships anymore because everything is replaced by Mercon V or Mercon LV. There isn't much to change on a power steering pump other than pressure or pulley size conidering it is just a simple belt driven pump for hydraulic fluid

EDIT: I would also just like to add that Ford PS pumps are just loud in general.
I was more concerned about the seals. That's why I stuck with type F(don't want synthetic with 23 year old seals). Ford pumps are louder due to the design using spring loaded slippers unlike the Saginaw pumps.