1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

my intercooler install pt.1

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my intercooler install pt.1

figured id share a few pics with you guys of my last 10 hours. yes 10 hours unfortunatly lol. we ended up punching a nice whole in my radiator with the long blade on the sawzall while opening up the cold side of the intercooler threw the rad core support. i was suposed to get more pictures while putting it back together but i was excited taht everything went so smooth that i forgot too! lol the intercooler boots and clamps will be here thursday as well as my long awaited injector orings to do my 2s all this weekend!! woot.

a busted radiators best friend lol, shaun trying to fix that

the way i mounted mine, i didnt like how thin the core support was, and the frame rails were perfect to mount too.

finally! half way done! haha cant wait to start the intercooler pipes. ill start mocking them up later this week.

not sure if youcan spot it, but the first picture of it naked, the driverside frame rail is bent something feirce pointing in! nothing a porterpower cant solve(thanks rich),

all in all, so far i recomment this to anyone, its simple, straight forward and actually alot of fun to do. not looking forward to making my own spider pipe thoe.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks good. I had mine mounted on the frame to start with and talked myself into thinking that if something flexed b/w the body and frame, ie rubber mounts, the plastic mounts on the ic could break. I changed mine so its all hanging off of the front support. Don't plan on no 4 wheelin to make it flex like that but I get paranoid on some of those things.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
well my mounts arent fully 100% tight into the intercooler, about a half inch out so it can flex a tid bit but i dont 4 wheel anyhow, just a road queen over here but well see when it gets buttoned up for good this week.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Congrats with your work in progress. I have read a lot of posts about the IC install, and nobody mention any mod of the upper supports of the AC condenser, only in the supports on the bottom, did you modified them or not, and why not? why only those in the bottom? . My logic tells me that the modification is to get more space for the IC core, but why only down, is the condenser inclined in some way?

And I saw in your pics that the upper supports of the IC are directly fixed to the core, its that right? did you put any grummets or any alike rubber there?

How did you make the hole in the radiator and how is the name of that paste you put in the pic, that I suppose is to fix it, isnt it? Im asking because Im planning to install my IC and dont want to screw anything

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Instead of using a saw-zall to cut the opens, I recommend using a plasma torch to cut the metal out. It's a lot safer and you don't have to worry about the radiator. The metal is thin and will only take a couple seconds to cut.

Setup looks good man.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Rog the sawzal popped out by accident an he was a little too loose on the grip, that's just my crap luck, as for the ac condenser the top mounts are already mounted to the condensor is an inch away from the too of the radiator. You only cut and bend the bottom because it is flaired out a good couple inches and you need all the room you can. If you take your time it comes out nice, almost like it was mention to be an intercooler in there lol as for theflue I used that was jb weld to seal he outside of the radiator. Works like a charm and rated for like 50,000 psi I think? I've sealed up my old 460 block with it, awaome stuff just take your time applying it and use heat lamps. As for the rubber grommets I didn't have any in the garage, I wish I knew I needed them before hand but I picked up the if 10 mins before I started. If you look at the ic installed pic where my bolts are drilled threw, that u shape at the top is for a rubber grommet. I just lightley bolted the. So it can twist with the chassis

I would have used a plasma torch I I had one, sawzal is all I had to readily use at the Moment but I was pretty happy how it came out

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Congrats with your work in progress. I have read a lot of posts about the IC install, and nobody mention any mod of the upper supports of the AC condenser, only in the supports on the bottom, did you modified them or not, and why not? why only those in the bottom? . My logic tells me that the modification is to get more space for the IC core, but why only down, is the condenser inclined in some way?

And I saw in your pics that the upper supports of the IC are directly fixed to the core, its that right? did you put any grummets or any alike rubber there?

How did you make the hole in the radiator and how is the name of that paste you put in the pic, that I suppose is to fix it, isnt it? Im asking because Im planning to install my IC and dont want to screw anything
here are some pics for you. Thanks to Cody(Rubberduck) for the pics of these brackets!!! i can't find the pics i took of mine right now, but i did them the same way as this shows.

look at this pic buddy. it's the lower A/C bracket. all you gotta do is beat it down flat right there where the paint is chipped off... it is because it sticks out too far for the IC and you need all the room you can get for these things to push the ends as far to the engine compartment as possible..

Also, Steve... did you cut the hood latch support(the part that runs down to the bottom of the core support) to get the IC pushed in that much closer???? i know i had to cut mine to get it in closer, but i can't tell if you did or not.

This is the driver side bracket. it used to be in an L shape, but you can cut it and clock it over to mount like this.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
FYI I didn't mess with my ac mounts at all, didn't know about it at the time. Mine fits, it's tight of course, but it fits. I have a trucool sandwiched b/w the ic and ac too. 1/4" b/w the coolers. Maybe if I would have known about the ac condensor brackets I wouldn't have to shim my bumper out a half inch. Oh well, it works and fits.

I don't know if you need to worry about those mounts on the frame or not. Like I said, I just get paranoid thinking of things that can go wrong and I just wanted that out of my mind so I changed it.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good rider.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
thanks man, too bad my quick fix started leaking today, new raidiator anyone?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My aftermarket transmission cooler sits on the front of the A/C condenser, will that be a problem when I do my IC?

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
Rog the sawzal popped out by accident an he was a little too loose on the grip, that's just my crap luck, as for the ac condenser the top mounts are already mounted to the condensor is an inch away from the too of the radiator. You only cut and bend the bottom because it is flaired out a good couple inches and you need all the room you can. If you take your time it comes out nice, almost like it was mention to be an intercooler in there lol as for theflue I used that was jb weld to seal he outside of the radiator. Works like a charm and rated for like 50,000 psi I think? I've sealed up my old 460 block with it, awaome stuff just take your time applying it and use heat lamps. As for the rubber grommets I didn't have any in the garage, I wish I knew I needed them before hand but I picked up the if 10 mins before I started. If you look at the ic installed pic where my bolts are drilled threw, that u shape at the top is for a rubber grommet. I just lightley bolted the. So it can twist with the chassis

I would have used a plasma torch I I had one, sawzal is all I had to readily use at the Moment but I was pretty happy how it came out
Ok, thank you, but Im not Rog . Also, I would like to have a plasma torch to do the work, but I dont.

Sorry to hear about your radiator leak, maybe the weld needed more time to cure? IDK.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
here are some pics for you. Thanks to Cody(Rubberduck) for the pics of these brackets!!! i can't find the pics i took of mine right now, but i did them the same way as this shows.

look at this pic buddy. it's the lower A/C bracket. all you gotta do is beat it down flat right there where the paint is chipped off... it is because it sticks out too far for the IC and you need all the room you can get for these things to push the ends as far to the engine compartment as possible..

Also, Steve... did you cut the hood latch support(the part that runs down to the bottom of the core support) to get the IC pushed in that much closer???? i know i had to cut mine to get it in closer, but i can't tell if you did or not.
Ok, thank to you too. My doubt was about the upper supports of the AC condenser, but I know that nobody modifies them.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
depending on how big your cooler is, theres probably 2 inches in between the cooler and the condesor, you may be able to sandwhich it in there but hte thread i got on the 4doorbronco site he fabbed up a quick bracket for his and shoved it infront of the IC. no big dealaslong as you have a good secotion of angle iron. tahts alli used, awsome stuff if you have a good grinder and a few hours to have fun and drink a few beers

Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
My aftermarket transmission cooler sits on the front of the A/C condenser, will that be a problem when I do my IC?
Look at this diagram and you will see that the position of the Tranny cooler changes its % of efficiency, so you decide. Im going to install it in front of the IC, as most of here do, and I think the reason is the efficiency. I hope this helps in your answer

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
didnt see the end of your post there travis lol nope! i just put it int he vice and bent it in just a bit, bolted it back in then gave it a good boot and it worked like a charm! nice snug fit about 3/4" of room id say, no rubbing will accure. although i went ona drive today and on the way to school with the windows down i heard a slight creak whe goign around a good bumpy hill. so ill probly head down and grab some rubber gromments and drill another hole on the very top mounts to be assure myself.

Quick Reply: my intercooler install pt.1