5.4L 3V SWAP INFO

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 3V SWAP INFO

I am working on swapping a 5.4 out of an '08 into a 62 f-100, but am having some wiring problems, I was hoping someone here might be able to help. First question is about the PCM, I am using a Diablosport hand held and can't get it to talk to my pcm. I had voltage from the pcm at the datalink connection, but now I don't so I'm wondering if I fried the PCM? How delicate are they? is there a certain procedure for plugging and unplugging them, does the battery need to be disconnected? Also if I need a new pcm how critical is it that I get the exact one since I need a custom tune anyways to get rid of the PATS can I just get any PCM for an 04-08? Thanks

Bill

Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I am guessing that you will need a 5.4L PCM to control the cam phasers and such. They are usually vehicle specific because they have to be mated to the instrument cluster.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The PCMs are interchangable on the same engine configurations, 5.4 SOHC to 5.4 SOHC
COPs to COPs or Coil packs to Coil packs. You would be best off to check for spark and fuel injector operation. You should also use the entire engine wiring harness. If your engine came from a vehicle with PATs you may be in for problems there.
Good luck with it.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
gkiester
New User
I am doing the same motor into my 57 f100. I also have the same questions and concerns.

Greg

Old 04-25-2010, 04:27 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
When I get it all figured out I'll let you know.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
gkiester
New User
I will continue to post info up on this thread too if and when I find some. I have a thread going as well asking for info.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
Well, I got my custom tune, but is still not running, here's where I'm at so far, I have fuel, I have power at the coils, I have power at the injectors but it won't crank. I am not getting a ground signal back from the PCM to the starter relay, I also think that I'm not getting a ground signal to the coil and injectors. If I ground the starter relay it will crank but no start. I'm wondering if I am still having a PATS problem.

Does anyone know exactly what PATS does, does it cut power(ground) to the coils and the injectors?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
anyone?

Bueller??????

Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KARASKUSTOMS
Well, I got my custom tune, but is still not running, here's where I'm at so far, I have fuel, I have power at the coils, I have power at the injectors but it won't crank. I am not getting a ground signal back from the PCM to the starter relay, I also think that I'm not getting a ground signal to the coil and injectors. If I ground the starter relay it will crank but no start. I'm wondering if I am still having a PATS problem.

Does anyone know exactly what PATS does, does it cut power(ground) to the coils and the injectors?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ferris took today off.

The PATs system is a Passive Anti Theft system that will not allow your PCM/ECM to operate the engine.
What year and model is the engine from and is the PCM from the same car?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
I just read your original post and the donor truck you got the engine from had a PAT system and if you don't have the reciever for the key that matches the system the PCM will not allow the engine to operate. Your best bet is to get in touch with a shop that sells and installs the alarm system with remote start. They should be able to get it going for you. Also, if there is a company called "Pop A Lock" in your area they might be able to help.

Your problem illustrates why I suggest that you buy the whole vehicle before starting a project like this. You can keep going back to it and get the parts you thought you wouldn't need or just forgot to get. In your case the steering column and keys as well as the entire wiring harness and the various little CPUs that the industry likes to hide all over under the dash and where ever they can find space. If you were so inclined you could also have used the entire dashboard in your project.
I have done many engine swaps and I would not start one today without having the donor in my hands to keep going back to for more parts and information on the way they go. Todays cars and trucks are far too complex to just start swapping engines. I know mechanical and electrical engineers that wouldn't even start the projects that many here are trying to do and have done successfully but they were always harder to do than they originally thought.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
pats

Thanks Mel, but I'm looking for how Pats works with specific circuits, I understand that it doesn't let the vehicle start, but exactly how does it do that. With a custom tune I shouldn't need all the Pats components, right? The aftermarket bypass systems are only for remote starts and you have to have a complete working Pats system to start with.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Thanks Mel, but I'm looking for how Pats works with specific circuits, I understand that it doesn't let the vehicle start, but exactly how does it do that. With a custom tune I shouldn't need all the Pats components, right? The aftermarket bypass systems are only for remote starts and you have to have a complete working Pats system to start with.
I don't know any more than that the PATs is beyond my comprehension. I used a audio shop and Pop A Lock to straighten out my Expedition because I wasen't smart enough to figure it out. I think you've been fighting this long enough and should find outside help. I don't think you will be able to bypass the PATs without a good wiring diagram and that might not have helped me if I were in your position. Good luck with it.
There is one person that might be able to help here on FTE and that is Fordtech08. He seems quite knowledgeable and willing to help. He's usually on the 1st cen. Expedition/Navigator forum or the '50s F1 Forum.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
Thanks

Originally Posted by Moto Mel
Your problem illustrates why I suggest that you buy the whole vehicle before starting a project like this.

I agree with you, I thought that the pats would not be such an issue, a couple different tuners told me that it is an easy thing to get rid of via a custom progam. I also didn't go the route because I don't want to have to run the late model cluster and ignition, I want the swap to be unnoticable until the hood is opened. I did get a complete vehicle minus the dash and interior and it is making all the other parts of the swap very easy.

I am using the factory Ford wiring diagram, ther is no way anyone could perform this swap without it, it is priceless and very complete(except for the PATS detail ha ha).

I will lokk up that other guy and see waht he has to say, Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
KARASKUSTOMS
Junior User
more research

Just FYI for anyone doing a swap to make it much easier if you use a donor F-250 07 and older they don't have PATS so this issue is solved, I wish I would have known that fact before hand, I may still go this route if I need to and just sell the stuff I have right now.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Just FYI for anyone doing a swap to make it much easier if you use a donor F-250 07 and older they don't have PATS so this issue is solved, I wish I would have known that fact before hand, I may still go this route if I need to and just sell the stuff I have right now.

I would be willing to bet that there is a fairly easy solution to the problem as you have everything else needed. You might call or send an email to Ford truck engineering and explain your project and the problem and actually get the help needed. A lot of those people are motorheads also and a project like yours might be of interest.
I had a problem with the cam chain tension settings for a 427 SOHC I had built by the book and the 6 foot long cam chain broke causing a lot of damage. I was fortunate to get in touch with the project engineers that advised me that the info published was incorrect and when I followed the revised specs the engine performed flawlessly. I delivered it to the buyer and after 3 years and many miles he told me he couldn't be happier with the performance and reliability. The moral of my digression here is that sometimes help will come from Ford.
Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V SWAP INFO