Sponsored by:

manual tranny and clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:44 PM
bronco 1996 16 year old
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question manual tranny and clutch problems

I own a 1996 bronco xl with a 5sp manual tranny. It is hydraulicley assisted and the fluid is at full level. My problem is when i try to shift into first after a stop light it is very hard to get it into gear. it seems like i have to push down the clutch and wait around 5 sec before it is easy to slip into gear. It also occasonially is hard to up shift between any gear and when i doo it is also a hard shift. Also when I try to light up the tires it seems like the engine does not have enough power to do it. It is a 5.0 and that should be plenty of power to burn out with a manual. I am wondering if my clutch is going out and if it is possible to burn out with a 5.0 manual tranny in a bronco. also when i rev it up and drop the clutch all it does is chirp and violently shake occoasionally poping it out of gear. I want to know if any of these problems are normal or is it something i need to fix. Please respond asap.

Last edited by bronco 1996 16 year old; 01-28-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 PM
broncoholic
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The shaking you are experienceing is more than likely caused by axle wrap. This is when your axle twists you leaf spring into an 's' shape. Eventually too much load buids up in the spring and it violently whips back into its more comfortable 'c' shape. I suggest you knock it off before you snap somethin'. Or add ladder bars to help control the situation. As for your 5.0, I'm not sure if it has enough power or not. I'm sure that it is more the set-up of the truck, than your motor. You do realize that your Bronco is not a sports car. Your tranny problem sounds like one of two things. The clutch isn't dissengaging completely, mechanical linkage needs adjustment or hydraulic actuator needs bled. Or your sinchronizer rings between gears are worn out. Also, just because it is full of fluid doesn't mean that it is full of the right fluid. Don't know if that may be a problem. Good Luck

Old 01-29-2003, 11:43 AM
speed1972
Freshman User

try this.....

with the truck running and in neutral, pump the clutch pedal several times the hold it to the floor. at this point try to push the stick in first gear. if it goes in, more than likely its the hydraulic actuator that is bad...

if you're able to chirp the tires, more than likely it isn't the clutch going bad. if anything it would slip and you'd smell burnt clutch..

i think its the hydraulic actuator myself not the clutch

Old 01-29-2003, 08:58 PM
bronco 1996 16 year old
Junior User

Thanks for the replys. I am very shure i need to take my bronco in to clutch and other tranny work. But before i do that is their any way i can bled the hydraulic my self? Or is their any adjustments i can make on the linkage or the hydraulic actuator my self?

Thanks for the help!!

p.s. Yes i know my Bronco is not a sports car, i just believe that a bronco with a manual tranny should be able to burn out.

p.s.s. Is their anyone whos bronco can light em up?

Old 01-29-2003, 09:31 PM
craterjoe
Senior User

I dont mean to bash your driving habits since I was a kid once myself and by no means an innocent one at that but, in two words, GROW UP!

Romping on your truck too much will end up costing you in repairs, or the need to replace the machine altogether.

Also if you were to do it in the wrong place or time it can result in traffic fines , increased insurance premiums ( As if those crooks need more of our money. but that another thread..) or if the driver is overly careless, property damage and injuries or death.
and the girls dont really appreciate it anyway ( assuming you ar a guy that is...)
Did you know that the reason insurance premiums are so high for teens and young adults is because some in that group fail to show the needed maturity when driving, and the insurance industry knows it .

Respect your ride for the purpose that it was designed for and "try" to keep it within those limits. it should give you a long service life if you do.

end of sermon.
I had a 1987 f-150 with a 5.0 and 4 speed manual and it couldn't do more than chirp the treads either. the shift problems sound like the clutch isn't fully disengaging right away. I'd have it checked out if I were you.

Craterjoe

Old 01-29-2003, 09:41 PM
83bigbroncoguy
Senior User

My old '83 would light 'em up. It had the 351w and C6. I loved that old truck. I miss it. Stupid gas price increase...

Old 01-29-2003, 10:17 PM
oldblue18
Elder User

Not to mention the fact that you have a M50D....I wouldn't "romp" too hard on it regardless of the vehicle it's in....

Old 01-29-2003, 11:06 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt a stock 5.0L will burn out under a Bronco - the weight is too high & too evenly distributed for the back tires to lose traction.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Mary_Kate_Olsen
Senior User

I have the same setup as you (302EFI w/M5OD and hydralic clutch). I have never really tried to burn out. But I have accidently spun the tires a few times. But its usally when there is a little moisture on the road, or I'm starting from a hill stop and I don't want to stall so I give it too much gas. But I do think I would have the power to burn out on level dry road, if I tried.

But I have to agree with craterjoe don't thrash on your bronco for no reason.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:58 PM
bronco 1996 16 year old
Junior User

now don't get me wrong. I don't drive around all the time revin it up and "rompin" on my engine and tranny. I have just tried to burn out acouple times with my friends. I allways said that the weight is to high and it is distributed very evenly. Thanks wor all the input but i have a couple of questions left. is their any way i can bled the hydraulic lines myself and is their any adjustments i can make in my garage. thanks again