No Parking Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
superxcrewfx4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No Parking Lights...

I have searched this forum high and low and cannot find a good answer on my situation. I joined the forum when I had my f150, still have it but added a 99 f250. I didnt post much, dont know why.

I dont know what happened to my f250
I started it the other morning, i work at 3am. No dash or parking lights. I havent done anything to the truck since probably February. I had a remote start / security system installed.

While trying to fix it I replaced the headlight switch first, didnt work, still popped fuse 4 under the hood.

I unhooked all the trailer connectors in the back from the plugs, that didnt work either.

I then unhooked the alarm wires from the box under the dash and then the number 4 fuse didnt blow when i replaced it. The catch is that the trailer wire plugs in back were still unhooked.

I hooked everything back up again, alarm, trailer plugs, the whole 9 yards.
Everything worked until this morning. Blew out when I was driving again. Since hooking it back up the alarm hasnt flashed the parking lights on the unlock/relock sequence.

I went out on my break from work and unhooked the alarm again and replaced the fuse, instant blow on fuse 4.

No other fuse is blown.

Any Ideas?

Old 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I would suspect the alarm wiring. We had a post awhile back where someone had a strange problem like this, and he finally found where the installer had cut open the wiring harness, they had accidentally cut some of the insulation on the other wires and that caused a problem.

Think about when the problems started. After the alarm was installed correct? And the fuse constantly blew till you fiddled with the alarm wires. Now it still blows but only after messing with the alarm wires a second time.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go back to where you had the alarm installed.

Find the alarm install.

Put the fella in the box...

Drive back to your place.. behind the barn.

Franklin nailed this one right on.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
superxcrewfx4
New User
I gotta tell you i had the whole freakin truck apart. I bought 35 fuses , i went through 5. I jiggled wires, pulled wires, looked at wires, already had the alarm power turned off but still blew fuses. I have no idea what I did but now they work again. This time I didnt hook up the trailer plugs in the back or the alarm at all and have switched back to the factory remote. Its something under the dashboard but i cant see anything wrong

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If somehow you got it to work again.. I have some bad news for you....

9 chance out of 10, Frankin nailed it --- there is a short caused by the alarm installer somewhere in there.

If you are lucky.. it may stay good.

If you are not.. it will blow when you are on vacation, 50 miles from the nearest gas station...

Gotta get that thing diagnosed by a competent tech.. not the alarm installer.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
superxcrewfx4
New User
I called the remote start place, I need to find time to get it in. My schedule is so horrible that I am going to see if my buddy and I can take the dash apart and take apart all the wiring before I spend 2 hours down at the place. Monday I should be able to do that otherwise its april 26, 27 or 28th.

I still have my f150 so any longer trips that result in going out at night will be in that truck for now. I took the wire off the splice in the brown parking light wire that connects to the switch and that did nothing. I cant tell you what happened, i just kept jiggling around stuff until something worked. I pulled the relays for the towing, unplugged the plugs for the tow plug and the larger tow plug and it still blew the fuse so it has to be something under the dashboard, i didnt touch anything else.... It just has to be something under the dashboard.