Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dp Tuned and now Turbo Farting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dp Tuned and now Turbo Farting

Hi guys, just wondering i can get some help on y my truck is turbo farting now after i mash it and let off. I just recently dp tuned my truck and i usually only roll all day every day in 80 econo mode. Ever since a couple days after i chipped it the turbo started farting and making the back wards spin noise. I know thats not good from what i know about turbos and idk if its bc im making more boost now and when i get on it and let off the gas the stock bypass valve cant handle the excess? idk if anyone knows what i need to do such as a new valve or why this is happening please let me know. Thanks. Also is it OK to start the truck up in 80 econo mode and not in stock and run it all day that way. I got 190k on stock motor n tranny and cant have any issues. Moneys hard to keep around now n days.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:27 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The turbo flatulence you are descrbing is normal. It is not harmful while letting off. Turbo surge while building boost is what is harmful..

You should start in stock and switch to 80e after some warm up time.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Try not to back off so fast when you're making that much boost and the problem will go away. The valve I think you're referring to is the wastegate and that used to control max boost and how fast the turbo spools, it has nothing to do with bleeding off excess boost. That would be a blow off valve and our trucks don't have one. They're used on vehicles that have throttle plates which could blow off if there was pressure in the intake when the throttle closed.

If the turbo is making a noise while you're holding a steady speed, its turbo surge. That can be cured a number of ways, the cheapest of which is to put a wicked wheel on the turbo.

IIRC, Jody recommends starting your truck in stock and switching over to tunes once the engine is up to operating temp.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Ok i gotcha. Yea it only makes noise after i build boost n let off. If i let off fast it makes the fart but when i let off but am still barely on the throttle it doesnt fart. And idk its on and off i guess. It somestimes does it and sometimes doesnt. But if i were making noise while just cruising down the road is it the same as a fart but just quiter. Im normal sounding as im going down the road and giving it a lil throttle, only under high psi and quick throttle release it acts up. Thanks again

Old 04-11-2010, 01:53 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
The noise it makes cruising down the road is different and really only happens while towing. Just curious, but can ya tell us a little about your truck? I'm guessing that you've been here long enough to know we all like details! haha

Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 AM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
hahah ok. yea i dont do much towing but ill let off a lil slower none and not all at once and try n save myself from problems. But yea ive heard ppl here like details. My trucks a 03 7.3 psd of course extended cab short bed lariat, 190k stock motor n tranny, muffler delete, 6637 and dp tuner are my mods. 80 econo 120 race and 140 super smoke are my tunes. Its beed a good truck for the 4 months ive had it so far except for the lil oil leak on the front seal of the oil pan. I had the leak re sealed at ford dealer n it just started leaking o so slightly again. I hate leaks and ne noises i hear i go insane bc i dont think it sounds right. Idk my friends think im crazy bc i can always find a awkward noise and since im the only one who hears it no one can help me diagnose it. haha. The thing i noticed with these motors is that theyre so noisy its hard to pinpoint any thing.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Mine did the same. Wicked wheel fixed it.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Trouble1263
Mountain Pass

Is this the farting syndrome you're trying to describe?YouTube - 1999 Ford F350 7.3 Compressor Surge

Last edited by Trouble1263; 04-11-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trouble1263
Is this the farting syndrome you're trying to describe?YouTube - 1999 Ford F350 7.3 Compressor Surge
That would be REAL surge -- VERY bad. When you let off the pedal after a WOT run, it makes a similar noise, but for a short time. It's just the 20+ psi bleeding back out the way it came, since it has no other place to go.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
any idea why this doesnt happen with my TNBB turbo? Personally i think the sound when you let off is badass, and as long as it doesnt hurt my engine i would love to hear that, seems wierd that it doesnt do it with the TNBB one though...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
any idea why this doesnt happen with my TNBB turbo?
The TN BB has a ported compressor housing and when you back off after building boost pressure the excess pressure passes through the ports and not through the compressor wheel. This is also why a ported compressor housing helps eliminate surge. In this pic you can plainly see the ports surrounding the compressor wheel.

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM
AllMuscle03
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
That would be REAL surge -- VERY bad. When you let off the pedal after a WOT run, it makes a similar noise, but for a short time. It's just the 20+ psi bleeding back out the way it came, since it has no other place to go.
I watched the video, and thanks for it btw but no my truck doesnt do that as its building boost. Its what izzy says and the 20+ psi is going back out and thats the sound im hearing bc i hear it after a wot run and then let off the throttle. It sounds cool but i know its not the best thing for it and im gunna try n take ppl's advice and not completly let off or not let off so fast. If it gets worse maybe ill look into a wicked wheel like someone was saying before. Whats the diff betweeen the stock wheel n the wicked wheel? Does it help with the psi coming back out issue? Thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
The wicked wheel is actually a stock wheel for the early 99's i believe. If you compare them side by side, you'll see that our stock wheel has fins that are all the same height whereas the ww has alternating high and low fins.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:40 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct. The ww is the stock e99 wheel as well as the 94-98 psd wheel.
Surge when you let off the pedal fast isn't good for the thrust bearing either. It just takes a while to be harmful. The ww will get rid of your surge on 80e. But you will get surge probly on higher. My truck runs about 30 psi on stock turbo and it will surge in the 120r setting. I doubt there is a fix for it other then a ported housing.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:26 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

It fixed mine. No matter what setting. And I have given her a flogging since the DP lol

Quick Reply: Dp Tuned and now Turbo Farting