Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Why NOT to use Ether on a diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why NOT to use Ether on a diesel!

Came across this fantastic video a couple days ago on youtube.

I thaught it's important to share this with you guys.

It's ok to use a tiny shot of Ether for emergencys, but there is a correct way of using it, and a very small limited amount!

YouTube - Why you don't use ether and 6.9 tear down p4

Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that would take a crap load of ether!!!!i would have loved to have seen that happen

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was some smart either to always go to one side of the block, or maybe the glowplugs weren't working on the other side. lol

I have a hard time beliveing that the precup was in the cylinder it would have to beat the block way farther than it was, and there wouldn't have been anything left of it or the piston. lol

the precup may have fallen in the cylinder when he pulled the head.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's what I was thinking. 2 pre cups look good, only the far 3rd one looks like it's been hit. lol

Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 PM
mabc926
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What?...don't you guy's use a whole can when starting your engine?

LMAO

Old 04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
That was some smart either to always go to one side of the block, or maybe the glowplugs weren't working on the other side. lol

I have a hard time beliveing that the precup was in the cylinder it would have to beat the block way farther than it was, and there wouldn't have been anything left of it or the piston. lol

the precup may have fallen in the cylinder when he pulled the head.
There is nothing intelligent about either!! Its pure stupid-in-a-can.

I would love to see the pistons though. There is no room for a glow plug tip let alone a whole precup to fit between the crown and the head. For that matter, what about the valves. Don't see any damage there either.

I'd watch it again, but I don't think I can stand to hear the word "indention" again

Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I hear you on listening to it again, but there is no way possible the precup got into the cylinder unless it had split into two pieces. lol I have used either on about any diesel you can think of, and the only thing I ever broke was a 5.7 chevy, and I broke one of them holdind a gas rag up to the breather once too. lol I think them motors were hunting a place to die when they left the factory. lol

Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM
peruses
Elder User
I do agree with him on the electronic component cleaner- that stuff works great and helps a bit if you're cranking slow and find a green wire too

Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Either is nowhere near as stought as it used to be, it has been years since I have heard of anybody lifting a head. lol
I know it takes a lot more to air up a tire than it used too, and I have bought some that was hard to even light off. lol

Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Farmboy1285
Senior User
I've seen his videos before, he has some good videos and seems to know his stuff but after listening to guys here I'm starting to second guess that.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:41 AM
David85
Lead Driver
I hear you on listening to it again, but there is no way possible the precup got into the cylinder unless it had split into two pieces.
You make a good point there about the precups. I forgot most of the surface isn't even exposed to the cylinder. And all 3 are certainly in tact.

Now I am curious to figure out what really happened there. Either does have a higher flame speed and hurts metal a lot more than a diesel ignition event, but unless he was running the darn thing on that stuff, I can't see either alone doing that kind of damage. Maybe there were pissing injectors on those cylinders? Maybe really weak injectors that popped too early and also resulted in preignition events?

For all we know the heads were redone and the prechambers were sloppy in there from day one. Once they start moving, that I can see causing the damage that we see here.

But again, I've never seen anything like this before so my guess probably isn't the best one out there.

lol I have used either on about any diesel you can think of, and the only thing I ever broke was a 5.7 chevy, and I broke one of them holdind a gas rag up to the breather once too. lol I think them motors were hunting a place to die when they left the factory. lol
I can usually start any of our diesels on half the cylinders or simply off a block heater so using either was never a dilema I had to take seriously. Last time we used stupidinacan was probably over 10 years ago on a lawnmower that was begging for death.

Sounds like them chevies must have been pretty cheap back then for you to go through them like water. Some part of me is still curious to see or even drive one at least once to get the first hand experience. Probably good for a laugh.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:48 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Well if you ever drove a vw bug with that stupid auto tranny some came with or road a honda 750 four with the auto tranny you would have a feel for the power they had. lol
The motor was pure junk in my oponion, but to be fair gm never give it a fighting chance.
They were severely under powered and as far as know all had 3.08 gears.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Well if you ever drove a vw bug with that stupid auto tranny some came with or road a honda 750 four with the auto tranny you would have a feel for the power they had. lol
The motor was pure junk in my oponion, but to be fair gm never give it a fighting chance.
They were severely under powered and as far as know all had 3.08 gears.
Well they were designed to be MPG machines at all cost. Born out of the 1970s fuel crisis. Who in their right mind would expect a diesel to be fast anyway? And besides, you weren't supposed to go over 55 anyway. (Couldn't quite say all that and still hold a strait face)

I can't help but wonder if GM was only building diesels at the time because it was politically expedient but deep down simply wanted them to go away. Automakers have a history of doing things like that.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 AM
peruses
Elder User
did the chevy diesel realy fit on the 350 gasser mounts though? I keep thinking one of the newer 5.7's in a nice station wagon might be allright

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That motor was ran for a long time with them cups floating, that didn't happen at once.

Regardless, It's the fault of ether.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Quick Reply: Why NOT to use Ether on a diesel!