Sponsored by:

mods to recently purchased excursion

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Les-b
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods to recently purchased excursion

I bought my 2002 ex two months ago and now it is time to start upgrades. It is a v 10 with 35000 miles on it. I want to know about the k&n air filters and the new y pipe. I got under my ex the other day and what were they thinking i see 2 in pipes from each manifold and the last two or three inches before it goes into the y pipe it reduces down to an 1 1/4 or a 1 1/2 in pipe. Where can i find the replacement pipe what is a reasonable price and how much does it help? Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Hollywood703
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Honestly the K&N filters wont gain you anything but not having to waste paper ones. there is no HP change and no MPG change as they claim. There are many suppliers of the Y pipes there are several threads on here about them, I havent dont mine so cant help you there, but the K&N really doesnt give you anything in return for the $$.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hollywood703
Honestly the K&N filters wont gain you anything but not having to waste paper ones. there is no HP change and no MPG change as they claim. There are many suppliers of the Y pipes there are several threads on here about them, I havent dont mine so cant help you there, but the K&N really doesnt give you anything in return for the $$.

I would have to disagree with you on the K&N Filter. I instantly got 1-2 mpg increase when I installed mine. At the same time I also did the Zooddad mod. My Ex sounds better and runs better,and all the crap you read about it being a dirty filter is pure BS. After hearing all these people saying oooh it will gum up your MAF sensor and your throttle body will get all dirty, I went out yesterday and bought throttle body cleaner and Maf cleaner. Took it all apart and guess what? No oil anywhere,the Maf was totally dry and the throttle bodies looked just fine. I cleaned them anyway but it didn't need it. The only way parts would get trashed is if your dumped oil all over the filter and stuck it back on. Read the instructions. I have K&N filters on all of my rigs for the last 20 years and never had a problem.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 282 Likes on 143 Posts
If you want more out of the V10, your best and I mean BEST bet, is Mike at 5-Star tuning. Whether you want to do a CAI, exhaust, Y-pipe, or I think even headers, he's got a package that will work for you. His custom tuning for the V10s has it's owners singing his praises. There was actually a group buy not too long ago and not one person was disappointed.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
2003u45
Senior User
My 03 Ex had 31K when I got it. I changed the Y pipe and now have just added the 5 star tunes from Mike and it woke this girl UP!!! WOW what a difference. I never really wanted to odify the truck but now I am addicted. I just ordered a Gibson Swept side exhaust for more power and will go from my drop in K&N filter to a real CAI. Incendentally, I did nto notice anything with the drop in filter. Need more air moving through to notice MPG or perfromance, IMHO.

Spend the 400 or so with Mike and get some perfromance tunes, even a tow tune if you need. Its great! I'll post more once I get m,y exhaust regarding noise and perfromance.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the air filter change the milage? Just because it may get more air doesn't mean that it uses less fuel. The MAF sensor controls the amount of fuel relative to the volume of air.

I may get better performance since it may be able to get more air and hence more fuel to make more power. But at the cost of lower MPG.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a point in any engine where it gets enough air at any given RPM to make the most HP and give the best gas mileage. An ability to draw more air than that will show no benefits and any less air than that will cause the HP and gas mileage to suffer.
It's like your lungs, they are a little more efficient inherently than they need to be so you can abuse them to a point and it won't affect your oxygen transfer but anything below that point will affect you.
The MAF cannot change this fact.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Worked for me. Real increase in mileage and better on the wallet. Have you ever seen a maf sensor? I don't think two wires are going to control the amount of air entering an engine. It does measure the amount of air passing by it and then of course the ecu will make adjustments in fuel delivery, but if your pouring more air in, the ecu can't possibly adjust that. More air in the cylinders more horsepower better engine efficiency.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Skullonarm
Worked for me. Real increase in mileage and better on the wallet. Have you ever seen a maf sensor? I don't think two wires are going to control the amount of air entering an engine. It does measure the amount of air passing by it and then of course the ecu will make adjustments in fuel delivery, but if your pouring more air in, the ecu can't possibly adjust that. More air in the cylinders more horsepower better engine efficiency.
If your K&Ns helped you it was only because you weren't getting sufficient air before.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
If your K&Ns helped you it was only because you weren't getting sufficient air before.

Don't think so.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Skullonarm
Don't think so.
Do know so

Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10

Oh yeah that's right. Ford designed the restrictive air intake for maximum performance,and sound levels. I forgot, I'm sure the stock is waaaay better performance wise. (yeah right).

Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I installed a drop-in K&N in my 02 X V-10 only because the parts store by me had one, and it was only $5 more than their "normal" Fram paper filter. I did not notice any performance or mileage gains. Just won't have to buy another filter!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
When I first got the EX I was getting 8-9 mpg in town. Sometimes 10. This was true for about eight months. I opened up the filter housing and put in a k&N filter, and ever since that day I get 11-12 mpg in town. They claim on today's engines more air doesn't give you more mpg. I'm not an engineer, so I'll take there word on that, however I believe if your engine is making more HP, with no mods to the engine except air intake wouldn't it stand to reason to attain the same speed as stock the engine has to work less, therefor giving you better Mpg?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
USMC616
Junior User
What is the zoodad mod? Is it easy to do ? Thanks.

Quick Reply: mods to recently purchased excursion