1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 60 F100 doesn't have turn signal. How do I get them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
jlaudio_f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 60 F100 doesn't have turn signal. How do I get them?

I just bought a 1960 F100 and it has no turn signals. It came like that from the factory. I am required to have turn signals on my truck in Illinois. It does not matter what year the truck is and it also does not matter if it came that way from the factory or not. It is required for ALL vehicles in Illinois. I was wondering if there is a way I could install turn signals on it without going with a universal kit. I want it to be as factory as possible. Did any of the 60 F100's have turn signals from the factory? If so does anyone want to sell me all the parts to convert mine?
any help would be great
Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, you could write to Santa and ask for them but then you can't drive until Christmas.

Ok I got smart in another thread and got taken seriously so let me start over.

First, I have to question that by 1960 turn signals were not a standard factory installation. Is there not a turn signal switch or handle mounted in the steering column?

Why yours does not have them sounds more like PO mischief than OEM shortfalls.

If in fact it doesn not have a factory truns signal switch in the column, you have three choices : find a column that does; install one in the space that should have it; or mount a clamp on universal switch and wire that.

Also, (and I can't believe this isn't already true on a 60) your front parking light sockets will have to be (or converted to) two wire base grounded type sockets. The backs should already have two wire, base grounded types.

Then, again if it is already not installed, you will have to run a third wire to one of your back lights for brake/signal light wire (for the left light), and use the current brake/signal light wire on the right side (the current running light wire will still be used on both lights) and a second individual wire to each of the front sockets - to add the turn signal to them.

The stock Column Signal Switch is Available at most of the repro parts houses. Here is th elink to it at C&G:

https://secure435.hostgator.com/~dlv...3&g=999&t=4670

I'm sure Number Dummy Bill will be along and post all the component numbers and where they are available.

Here, again, is the wiring flow. This is for a 7 wire Column Clamp Universal "Everlasting" signal switch. I believe you stock switch is 5 wire. The kit should come with instructions, or a specific diagram should be in your shop manual.

Name:  R F1Generic Light Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 18810
Size:  71.8 KB

Whew, ugly week for turn signals!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, back when the 57 to 60 trucks were built they could be ordered without turn signals. I usually see this on the F500 and up, since those were often used in commercial service, and the owners installed Signal Stat or another brand of after market turn signals that included 4 way flashers.

Keep an eye out on Ebay, every so often you will see someone listing a turn signal kit (yes, Ford offered turn signal kit available through a dealer parts department) for 57 to 60 trucks. You can also find listings for aftermarket turn signal kits, new and used. The NAPA truck parts stores can also get turn signal controls.

If you are interested, I might have an old used aftermarket turn signal control out in the parts pile. No schematic or diagram with it, and I do not even know if it works well.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was an Option in '57-'60, as Not all States of the Union had Mandatory turn signal Laws on the books.
If the Collar isn't there, as some have them just no Guts, you just need to find the Electric signal switch package & install it w/ the proper wiring for the signals.
Otherwise you'll need to find the Turn signal Collar & Guts from a Donner truck & remove the wiring harness for the turn signals or go w/ a Signal Stat or other manufacturers after market add-on turn signal switch, as was the Norm back in the day.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Nojive55
Senior User
When I got my first truck, a '55 in '72, it had the fugley turnsignal lamps mounted on the top of the fenders and and even fuglier conglomeration of a turn signal lever mounted on the column ( but it was at least wired for turn sigmals).

I ripped it most of it out and ran the wires to the park lamps (clear lens but replaced the bulbs with amber) and just mounted a three way (two ground) toggle switch in a pre-existing spare hole in the dash. These looked clean and worked slick but of course were not self-canceling but did use the indicator lights mounted in the instrument pod so you could see if you left them on.

If your column is not wired for signals this would save you a little headache if you can put up with the non-canceling part.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IF it was a Signal Stat or another after market manufacturer, it was considered High Tech & Stylish @ the time & they were Not worried whether John Q. Public in the Future thought it was Aesthetic or not. Though those Companies paid big bits of Rhino to Designers to make it so for the Then John Q. Public that it was Marketed to.
If you'd of ever researched it, you'd have found that FoMoCo actually Did mount Turn Signals on the Bumpers of their trucks @ the Factory or had their Subcontractors do so for the Special Order Conversions.
Plus you mounting Your version of a Turn Signal Switch in the dash of your truck is rather dangerous, as you more than likely have to take your Eyes off the road & current traffic conditions to engage it.
LEO's in Most States of the Union, would make you change it back to the Steering Column for the a fore mentioned Safety reasons.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my 59 had turn signals and im not reusing the column (going with borgson) so i would be willing to sell it to ya if ya want it i dont need it. I would have to find the parts and it would have to wait for another month or so.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
jlaudio_f100
Elder User
Thanks for all the info everyone! 59flatbedford I might be interested pm me a price. Also where are you located?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
jlaudio_f100
Elder User
Well after all that mine really DOES have turn signals on it but the lever was under the seat. I put it back in but have not tested them yet. I was going by what the previous owner told me. Thanks for all the help though!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
FTE helpful hint #32:

"Previous owners exist only to blame all the stupid things that have been done to your truck - no more." Never listen to a PO!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
jlaudio_f100
Elder User
Yeah well too late but I am happy with my truck anyway.