Sponsored by: DP Tuner

altitude trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
altitude trouble?

I'm about to drive my 7.3 up to 14,000 feet . . . anyone think the engine will have trouble at that altitude? Thanks!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live at 5800 feet elevation, camp at 9300 regularly and have driven over 12,000 ft. at times. You'll see your EGT's get a bit higher than usual but the PCM should be able to make the necessary adjustments for the altitude. Have any mods?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Where?

Where you going to 14k at this time of year? Shouldn't be an issue other than the 25 feet of snow, lol

Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Have any mods?
Yep, that's the key question. It would be good info for us if you let us know what modifications you've done to your truck, or if it's just bone stock.

If it's stock, you'll be fine unless you have some mechanical issues that exist already.

If it's modified, then you may or may not run into trouble depending on what you've done. For example, if you're one of those guys that threw on a higher horsepower chip or programmer and don't run any gauges, then you may be setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

#1 rule for modified trucks is to watch EGT's. That's especially important at higher altitudes, as the higher you go, the higher your exhaust temps will rise.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Heading to Orizaba, Mexico . . . road driving up until 8,500 feet. the other 5500 feet is off-road/ 4x4. I shouldn't have trouble with EGT's doing that should I?

Yeah, I'm a lame-o with a performance tow tune on the truck and no gauges.

I've had the gauges for as long as the tuner, just haven't taken the time to ever install them . . . and I would de-tune for the altitude except that 3 weeks ago my tuner was stolen from my truck here in Mexico, so I'm stuck in tuned-tow mode

To keep going on my sob story . . . the insurance won't cover my destroyed locks, the tuner, nor my DVD player. And last, but not least, I can't find WHERE in the user CP menu, to give myself a signature so that ya'll can know my mods and specifics. I'm pretty computer savvy, and I have looked for over an hour, multiple times, for where to change my signature. I know it is in the User CP area somewhere. Any help??

I have a 4 inch straight pipe out the back and a SB filter. I think I've got good enough air flow to keep the EGTs low since I only run the towing tune. However, I do understand that it is somewhat stupid to run without the gauges . . . how much time in hours am I looking to install them myself knowing absolutely nada? Working 12 hour shifts, pregnant wife, and a mountaineering trip for vacation . . . when does the truck get to have attention? After I melt it???

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
oh yeah . . . I do drive pretty conservatively as well. Conservative enough I sometimes wonder why I ever bought a tuner . . . pipe dreams that somehow I would get 25 mpg . . . and I'm still having trouble getting 15. Anyway, every now and again when I merge, I get on the gas for 3 or 4 seconds to avoid being run over by a Mexican 36-wheeler . . . but for the most part, I drive her nice and easy. Is that an excuse for the gauge disobedience?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
AND . . . I'm not towing sleds up there. I'll be heading empty, a few axes, a rope, and a sleeping bag.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mexicoF250
Heading to Orizaba, Mexico . . . road driving up until 8,500 feet. the other 5500 feet is off-road/ 4x4. I shouldn't have trouble with EGT's doing that should I?
Off roading, EGT's will be pretty low. I've been on a lot of trails with my truck, and never had EGT problems.

It's the cruising on the highway over mountain passes that really get EGT's up there.

I've had the gauges for as long as the tuner, just haven't taken the time to ever install them . . . and I would de-tune for the altitude except that 3 weeks ago my tuner was stolen from my truck here in Mexico, so I'm stuck in tuned-tow mode
Well it's better to be in a tow tune than a high performance tune when driving at altitude. You should be ok for the most part, but there are no guarantees at all. If I were you, I would install those gauges before making the trip, just to be on the safe side.

I have a 4 inch straight pipe out the back and a SB filter. I think I've got good enough air flow to keep the EGTs low since I only run the towing tune. However, I do understand that it is somewhat stupid to run without the gauges . . . how much time in hours am I looking to install them myself knowing absolutely nada? Working 12 hour shifts, pregnant wife, and a mountaineering trip for vacation . . . when does the truck get to have attention? After I melt it???
You can probably install them in about 4 hours. Just remember to put the EGT probe somewhere before the turbo, not after. Most common spots are the rear of the driver's side manifold (drill and tap), or immediately after the manifold in the up-pipe (drill and clamp).

Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
oh yeah . . . I do drive pretty conservatively as well. Conservative enough I sometimes wonder why I ever bought a tuner . . . pipe dreams that somehow I would get 25 mpg . . . and I'm still having trouble getting 15. Anyway, every now and again when I merge, I get on the gas for 3 or 4 seconds to avoid being run over by a Mexican 36-wheeler . . . but for the most part, I drive her nice and easy. Is that an excuse for the gauge disobedience?
Actually, that can be deceiving. Driving easy means you're probably driving at lower RPM's. Don't equate low RPM's with low EGT's. If you're lugging the engine up a mountain pass at say 1500 RPM's, your EGT's will be higher than they would be if you were driving up the same mountain pass, at the same speed, and in a lower gear turning 2200 RPM's.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would put the gauges in! My motor is on an engine stand in my garage from running a tuner in tow safe without gauges. Took a long time for the damage to show up, but it did!!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To keep going on my sob story . . . the insurance won't cover my destroyed locks, the tuner, nor my DVD player. And last, but not least, I can't find WHERE in the user CP menu, to give myself a signature so that ya'll can know my mods and specifics. I'm pretty computer savvy, and I have looked for over an hour, multiple times, for where to change my signature. I know it is in the User CP area somewhere. Any help??

Sorry to hear that the ins co will not work with you on this. You need to have 25 posts in order for your signature and pm's are turned on.