General Automotive Discussion

Zombie survival, FTE style...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:39 AM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an island picked out up in Oregon, either the one in Crater lake (which is no good cause it could possibly freeze over letting the zombies walk across onto the island). Or there was one in Lake Detroit that was pretty good sized. Water was semi deep around it.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in the midwest, it is open plains and towns are spread out, and roads are strait and flat. id rather be out there. as far as killin 500,000 zombies, why set your expectations so low?? i plan on killin a few thousand a week by myself!

as for thermite, not a good option to launch out of anything. its what they use to weld railroad tracks together. it will literally burn through anything, includin engine blocks. it takes about three to five seconds to completely melt through the bottom of a flower pot, and it can be ignited by any open flame or decent heat source.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by FordGuy100
Ah but the larger naval ships are nuclear propulsion....no need to worry about running low on fuel oil. Just would need to save some nuclear know it all guy from the navy.
There are no naval transport ships that are nuke-powered, not my knowledge at least. Besides, where are we gonna find a navy guy or gal who knows everything about operating one of them things, and what would stop him or her from setting sail right away when he/she sees what's going on around? I know if I had the know-how for handling a ship like that I sure as hell wouldn't hang out at port, at the least I'd move the thing off shore where zombies can't easily get to it and me...

Originally Posted by FordGuy100
500 million zombies guys...if there are 1000 of us in this group or others like it...we will each have to kill 500,000 zombies. I would rather be on a boat.
Well, since we already established that certain kinds of zombies can theoretically walk on the ocean floor and then climb the ship's anchor line, I'd really rather be on an airship - there are no zombies that fly, other than the crows from Resident Evil: Extinction, but those can only go so high in altitude. Now, does anyone know of a nuke-powered airship large enough to accomodate both us and vehicles and supplies? We're talking about a flying aircraft carrier here, so if anyone has information on such a thing being developed now isa good time to spill them beans

Originally Posted by David85
Out in the US northwest or on the BC coast there are fleets of car ferries in every size and shape you can imagine. Running water, lots of vehicle capacity and plenty of comfortable places to sleep. Something else is protected waterways to offer natural protection against zombies. I can't promise that the islands will stay clean after Z-day, but at the very least, we could probably sweep a few clear and use that as a safe place to hold out. Cold water and long distance also means that its not likely they will try and walk to our island, or islands.
We actually discussed that a few pages back, not a bad idea as long as the zombies ain't of the kind that can "survive" underwater and thus can stop by on our island for a midnight snack. Really, if it's just regular people infected with some brain-washing disease, islands would be perfectly safe, but if it's some tissue-regenerating virus like in the Resident Evil movies we better put up some nice fences around that island

Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
maybe i should be a contract zombie killin professional...

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can pack quite a few vehicles on those ferries and they can flat out move when you give them enough throttle...

The ones I was on had binoculars mounted to the upper deck so you can see into other people's houses as the ferry cruises by...

Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
as for the 500 million zombies to kill goes. If they are all on foot, you could have to try and cover the entire continent in order to track them all down. If they would die after thirty days are so, it seems like it may be a better plan to focus on staying alive, rather then trying to spend the resources to wipe them all out.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
furyus, this is thermite. thermite, this is furyus. the two of you should get along great!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holding out while they all die off might sound like a good idea, but in the case of i am legend, they do eat food to sustain themselves so on that respect they may sirvive for a very long time.

In the case of a double decker ferry, the car deck up top can be converted into a weapons factory. Any machining equipment we find can be sent back to the ship and used to improve our production of weapons and spare parts. We can still keep the mobile machine shops in the field, but there is only so much you can fit in such a small shop. Its not unlikely that we will be able to even rebuild powertrains of our vehicles in a safe and clean environment to keep the ZSF running indefinately. If dropping anchor is risky, we can just keep a UV light on the anchor chain.

The ferry can could probably also run on WMO and on board generators should be able to provide all the power we need to run our machining equipment.

If we can secure an island we can also start growing meat livestock too. But the nice thing about focusing operations on the sea, is there will also be fish or seal to harvest and they won't be hunted by zombies so our food will be relatively secure.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
again, id just as soon stay inland...

Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 460/5
furyus, this is thermite. thermite, this is furyus. the two of you should get along great!
*squeals* Yippee!!!

And this shall be my theme song as I free the lands of the zombie scourge!

YouTube - Rammstein - Feuer Frei! - Live In Nimes (Völkerball)

I mean, come on - a flamethrower strapped to your face! How cool is that!!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by David85
the nice thing about focusing operations on the sea, is there will also be fish or seal to harvest and they won't be hunted by zombies so our food will be relatively secure.
How do you come to this conclusion? I would think that while fish might not be the main source of food for zombies. People or Zombies, will do anything when they get hungry.

Me... I don't eat meat, so I'll stick to twinkies.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skyfox10
How do you come to this conclusion? I would think that while fish might not be the main source of food for zombies. People or Zombies, will do anything when they get hungry.

Me... I don't eat meat, so I'll stick to twinkies.
Well, I'm thinking something like a salmon should be able to out run a zombie while under water. Have zombies even been known to dive in and chase sea food? We know some of them can catch a deer on land but under water?

We'll still need a marauder fleet of assault vehicles to fight the camaign on land but all I'm saying is it would be handy to have a more remote, and secure place to repair, rearm, rest, and develop our bigger and badder weapons.

If needed, I can survive on granola for a while.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:17 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Well, I might be wrong, but it would seem to me, if a zombie is able to catch a deer on land without any weapons. I would say that could put them a step above what most humans are capable of.

Now fishing is another story. Most humans would use a pole, but then again, bears just use their teeth. Dunno on this one.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
I read the first 10 pages, then skipped to the end.
Nobody mentioned construction equipment?

I say ditch personal rigs and go after the diesel rigs.
Think of all the trucks that cruise back and forth across america, and even the continent.
All of the road construction that is happening again all across the continent.
Everything out there runs on diesel.
Most folks use small cars that run on gas, but everything runs on diesel.
Heck it up a train yard,
one train has several thousands of gallons of diesel one train can fill atleast on tanker, and the convoy is good for awhile.
I say ditch the gas idea, have everything run on one type of fuel.
Diesel.
I personally would be looking for some equipment to build big berms and dig monster ditches around a compound, to further inhibit zombie's raiding the place.
Give it some time then move to a military establishment, a military base is designed to be guareded easily, heck a max security prison would work, might need some redecorating but it would get the job done for a few years.

I would rather have a central location that is a castle of doom kinda place, very heavily armored and easily guarded.

I agree on scavenging all materials that we can to continue to live.

once some one is infected they shall be removed immedietly from the clan.
As to insure the infection does not spread.

Subscribed.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
CrosseyedCat
New User
When we settle down into an area we should dig out deep trenches all around our encampment, say eight feet deep lined will a material that would inhibit climbing. Then let Furyus go to town with his Fire (capitalized for effect) when it's necessary.

Have we decided on an area for long-term settlement? I skimmed through the ten pages I missed and I don't remember seeing if that was clarified.

Also, perhaps we should consider motorcycles for scouting purposes. That would clearly defy the rule of Ford's only but I feel that it might be a wise decision. Hmm, I hope I haven't given Furyus anymore ideas...although a front-mounted motorcycle flamethrower would be very badass. Slap on some of the Chuck Norris baddie-owning ***-fired rockets from Delta Force and you have a potent weapon.

Quick Reply: Zombie survival, FTE style...